2008 Fireblade : Tail Tidy Questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-13-2008, 5:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 41

2008 Fireblade : Tail Tidy Questions

Well, just ordered my tail tidy, new small number plate and some paddock stand bobbins. The pictures of the guys bikes, Madnohb and particularly dthiss swayed me to get the credit card out.

I must admit that I wasn't going to bother, but the Blade looks awesome with the tail tidy fitted.

I just wanted to ask if anybody (Madnohb, dthiss etc) have any tips for the fitting, any gotchas, things to watch out for ? I would like to know if you can get away without cutting the indicator wires like it says in the online fitting instructions. If possible, I would tuck the excess under the seat cowl as I never keep anything under there anyway.

Any pointers greatly appreciated. Me and my mate are going to have a go at fitting it. I showed him the gallery pictures on here, and he said "F**k me, you gotta do that to yours".

Rear pegs will still be a job for the tech who does the first service on my baby.

Cheers in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-13-2008, 5:43 PM Thread Starter

Re: 2008 Fireblade : Tail Tidy Questions

Edit..........

Just looked at the instructions again, and it appears that you need to cut the OEM plug off the number plate light and attach it to the new one. The new number plate light has no plug on the end then WTF ??????
post #3 of 6 Old 04-13-2008, 10:25 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Splatty,

The install is actually not to bad. The hardest part is getting the rear seat cowl off. At first I was reluctant, because I thought it would break. It really isn't that terrible. Remove the four bolts that hold it down and pull it back just a little. There are 2 hooks on each side that lock it onto the bottom color matched piece. I used my finders to grab ahold of the cowl from the opposite side and pull slightly to disengage the clips. After you have each side loose, then (here is where is can be scary) pull the cowl up from one side around the rear frame. It really comes up pretty easy, but I thought I was going to break it (but obviously didn't). Once the one side is free then the other comes too. The rest of the install is very easy. When putting it back together the new Tail Tidy has to engage the clip that it on the bottom color matched piece. That took a few tries to get right. As you said the new light has no connector on it. This is so you can get the wires through the hole and up into the rear section. At first I thought the same as you, but that is why. I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-14-2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the info mate.

I believe that R&G are actually out of stock of these now, although I am led to believe that they will still bill you and then mail when they have them.

On my previous bike, an Aprilia Tuono, I fitted an Evotech Performance tail tidy and the quality was outstanding. I looked at their site today and spoke to a guy there. They are in the process of using their own new injection moulding machine to manufacture the new Blade tail tidy, the most complicated one they have had to make to date. I am going to wait and get one off them I think, they are only talking a couple of weeks until it is ready anyway. I trust their quality of manufacture, so I am going to stick with what I know.

With a bit of luck I will have had my first service and the rear pegs removed by then, so after the tail tidy I will be all done. The sun is shining at the moment, I think I might try and get her out tonight even if it is only for a half hour ride.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-14-2008, 2:57 PM

Reputation Power: 0

That's cool, just FYI the R&G model is very well made and fits perfect. I also saw R&G has some on ebay.co.uk
post #6 of 6 Old 04-15-2008, 4:54 AM Thread Starter

I saw them on fleabay too mate.

If you read the small print I'm sure it said something like they would endeavour to deliver as soon as possible should they run out of stock

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page