Second gear going out? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 7:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Second gear going out?

I searched and found some info. But could not find everything. My bike had been lately slipping from second to nuetrul randomly, and I thought it was maybe how I had my shift rod possitioned. But now in second gear when I hit about 6-7k rpm my bike slips back down into nuetrul. The only thing I could guess is that my second gear is going out. So my only guesses are that the guys who owned the bike before me rode it piss poor and probably never took that great of care of it. I was wondering if any one knew the new parts I will be needing and a website I could check out the parts on. If any one else has had this problem and had to have their transmission fixed how much was it all together including labor? If any one has any other info that they could send my way I would greatly appreciate it thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 11:44 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Second gear going out?

something about a shift fork is what i heard, see if you can find something on that, the guy that told me said it was very expensive to fix.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 1:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcstreetriding View Post
something about a shift fork is what i heard, see if you can find something on that, the guy that told me said it was very expensive to fix.
Ya if I remember right from the searching earlier, the parts were not that expensive, its when you have to pay for all the labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 3:08 AM

Well, I'm in the same boat and from what I hear, we're looking at some parts...

Inner and outer shift forks, 2nd, 3rd and 6th gears (apparently 6th works with 3rd somehow... ?), and I think I saw a couple of bearings in the microfiche that I will replace then, too.

Check out the online microfiche at Ron Ayers Motorsports - Motorcycle, ATV, Jet Ski and Generators Parts and Accessories, they've got everything you need including part numbers for reference.

Good luck and when I do mine, I'll post up some pictures.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 3:10 AM

Leland, where are you? I'm in St. Joseph but in Platte City somewhat regularly and then the occasional trip to check out the ass at Zona Rosa/Barry Road...

We should meet up sometime if yer not a knucklehead
post #6 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 8:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCr3nshaw View Post
Leland, where are you? I'm in St. Joseph but in Platte City somewhat regularly and then the occasional trip to check out the ass at Zona Rosa/Barry Road...

We should meet up sometime if yer not a knucklehead
I'm right outside kc, mo. Pretty close to zona rosa. When I get home I will pm you a local forum if you are not a member there yet. I don't ride very fast only for little spurts whenever I hit the twisties, but thats only skipping up a couple of mph. I hear a lot of about the st joe and maryville riders. My older brother is up there and he tells me most of the people he has met are all into trying to stunt.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 9:27 AM

Bent shift forks is the cause but keep riding and you will need a whole lote more. I just bought a 954 and the first time on the track it did that. I immediately stopped riding. When I pulled it apart 3 shift forks and 8 gears were destroyed. It was over $800 in retail OEM parts.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer42 View Post
Bent shift forks is the cause but keep riding and you will need a whole lote more. I just bought a 954 and the first time on the track it did that. I immediately stopped riding. When I pulled it apart 3 shift forks and 8 gears were destroyed. It was over $800 in retail OEM parts.
So I just need to stop riding it before it gets even worse? Or would it be ok to go from 1st to 3rd?
post #9 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 11:50 AM

2nd and 4th are the same shift fork and one shared gear. Stop riding it until you can fix it. You will be saving yourself money. Once in there though don't be cheap. Make sure all bad/questionable parts are replaced if you plan on keeping this bike.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

I have the option of getting a new motor for 1300. Or I could leave my bike at a shop for a few months and get it all fixed for 1200-1500. I was thinking if I got the motor I could sell my old one and make a little cash back and would not have to leave my bike in a shop for a few weeks. The guy tells me the engine is in perfect condition but things can happen. What would you guys do.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leland View Post
I have the option of getting a new motor for 1300. Or I could leave my bike at a shop for a few months and get it all fixed for 1200-1500. I was thinking if I got the motor I could sell my old one and make a little cash back and would not have to leave my bike in a shop for a few weeks. The guy tells me the engine is in perfect condition but things can happen. What would you guys do.
Buying a used motor is always a gamble, but sometimes is a good way to go. How many miles on yours? How many on the other one?
post #12 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 2:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer42 View Post
Buying a used motor is always a gamble, but sometimes is a good way to go. How many miles on yours? How many on the other one?
Mine supposedly only has about 13500. So either it really has a lot more and the gauge was switched out or it truely was horrible abused before I got it. I do not know how many are on the other motor, all he said was that it is in very good condition.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page