900RR Horse power - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-16-2008, 9:27 AM Thread Starter
TnT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

900RR Horse power

Howdy All, I have a '93 900RR in standard trim and I recently fitted a BMC airfilter and had a dyno run which reported that I was getting 93nm torque and 117 hp at the back wheel. I was offered a really good deal on a full Kerker exhaust system and also a Dyno jet kit which I have had fitted. The bike was then tuned and dyno run again and now gives 90nm torque and 122 Hp. Is this the best I can expect?. Also there was a power dip between 4 and 6000 rpm which everyone thought the exhaust and jet kit would eliminate but it hasn't, is this normal?
Many thanks
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-16-2008, 6:21 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Re: 900RR Horse power

I'd say that is a good increase from a full system and jet kit. You can always get the heads ported and polished, put in an overbore kit, get new cams, titanium valves........
post #3 of 12 Old 04-16-2008, 8:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

That is actually pretty good power for a 93, I have some work done to mine, plus flatslides and I am barely over 130 on my fresh rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 3:23 AM Thread Starter
TnT

Thanks I really appreciate the replies. I'm just disappointed as the bike feels worse now than before they put the jet kit in. After I had the exhaust fitted they didn't have time to tune and dyno run and the bike felt fantastic, especially above 6000 rpm. Now it definately feels like it's lost something and I'm considering going back to standard jets. What do you think should I rather get them to try tune it better or is standard jetting the way to go?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 9:19 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Try adjusting the jets, maybe lower them one notch. My bike is like night and day with one notch difference.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 9:31 AM Thread Starter
TnT

Dear Skater, thanks a lot I'll tell them to try that. What do you think about an advancer?
post #7 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
TnT

Thanks BlackBlade, I have a BMC filter and full Kerker free flow. They will just have to play with the jets.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 3:27 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDMBlackBlade View Post
Best you will get without spending big dude
+1. I've seen measured HP on early Blades to be 112-115, so 123 is pretty f-ing good.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 9:07 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones156 View Post
+1. I've seen measured HP on early Blades to be 112-115, so 123 is pretty f-ing good.
to the power, very healthy numbers. sorry it's not riding so nice but it's a common complaint after someone's messed with the jetting.

If you're going to do anything else to correct this I'd consider returning to standard jets and air filter. Many people start to have these kind of probs when they start messing about with the intake setup.

Unless your going the whole overbore etc. hog, which has to be done right and can be achieved cheaper and more reliably by just buying a newer bike, I'd say stick with stock intake and spend a small amount of cash on a good end can or find someone that really knows what they're doing to fix your current setup.

Personally I love these old blades but because of they're age there's usually enough going on with them to keep you occupied maintenance wise not to have to worry about jetting too. The stock jets are fixed and work fine with a stock filter spend money getting new jets and a carb overhaul or buy a newer carb from somewhere but keep it stock. Then any fecker can balance and tune them and any end can that's been tuned for the bike will give an extra couple of horsies right out of the box. If I were looking for another one I wouldn't touch a bike that's been rejetted.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 10:08 AM

sorry to rant - perhaps more inline with what you asked..

getting higher peak power is a cheap trick if it's at the expense of low and midrange which is where you spend most of your time if you're an average schmo - like most of us.

since you have a full exhaust system on there maybe there's some merit in tweaking those jets to get the most from it but if the bike felt nice with the new exhaust and stock jetting why go through the extra aggro?

Anyway if you do wanna stick with this, for your money you're looking for an overall higher and smoother curve throughout the rev range and little or no 5.5k dead spot (as I understand it this dead spot is tuned in by the manufacturer for no other reason than to get through emmissions control) often and aftermarket exhaust is enough to get rid of most of it. If that's not what you got then it's not right.

If your tuner achieves just that, even at the expense of a little peak power you'll still be ready to believe anything the dyno operator says and more importantly your ride will be massively improved. I'm not qualified to dis dynojet but those kits are expensive, a good tuner will probably have jets and settings lying around for all that and you needn't necessarily have to pay out for a "dynojet" branded selection.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
TnT

Thanks Road_Rubber, I started the upgrade proccess when my air filter needed replacing and I went with a BMC. Everyone recommended that I upgrade my exhaust and I got a sweet deal on a full Kerker system meant for a Blade. But of course the bike needed to be tuned for the exhaust. Once again numerous people recommended I go with a jet kit as standard generally run lean. The bike goes in on Tuesday and I'll ask them to set the needles down one notch and see what happens.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT View Post
Thanks Road_Rubber, I started the upgrade proccess when my air filter needed replacing and I went with a BMC. Everyone recommended that I upgrade my exhaust and I got a sweet deal on a full Kerker system meant for a Blade. But of course the bike needed to be tuned for the exhaust. Once again numerous people recommended I go with a jet kit as standard generally run lean. The bike goes in on Tuesday and I'll ask them to set the needles down one notch and see what happens.
No worries TnT. Good luck with that, I'm sure you'll get it sorted. Maybe see if you can have a chat to Kerker before Tuesday too. If you can get through to someone technical they should be able to tell you what jet/filter setups they tested it with. If the system was designed for the blade they should have some useful info. Fair enough to assume that a more freeflowing exhaust will lead to a lean condition but see if you can get that from the horses mouth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page