99rrw engine tapping - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-17-2008, 4:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

99rrw engine tapping

hello im needing some advice on a subject or peice of mind as after looking through this site found it be be a regular problem.
The problem is a tapping sound from the top of the engine that i can here above the exhaust noise and can be heard right through the rev range. i have just fitted a race can (straight through pipe)and am not sure if this has caused somthing to go wrong or that the tapping has always been there but with the race can fitted i can here it louder now. also if the bike is ideling and i hold the revs at say 2000rpm the needle will move up and down just above and below the 2000rpm like a miss fire any advice welcome as riding aint the same thinking i might be killing by blade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-24-2008, 5:16 AM

Re: 99rrw engine tapping

how many miles are on your engine? maybe it needs the vales inspected and set...? also, maybe your cam chain tensioner needs to be replaced... Honda's are nortorious for weak cam chain tensioners... a great inexpensive replacement is a MANUAL CAM CHAIN TENSIONER from APERACEPARTS.COM, just make certain you don't overtighten it! just a few thoughts. take care and good luck!
post #3 of 5 Old 04-24-2008, 5:19 AM

I had the same problem a couple of years ago and it was my CCT also. It usually sounds the worst in the mid range. Dont think mine caused any power surging though, so I am not sure.

Fox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-24-2008, 6:00 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks the engine has done 10,500 miles i will replace the tentioner for the manual 1 and if that isnt the problem get the valvs inspected. someone said to me that because id changed the standerd exhuast for a race 1 the lower compretion might be burning out the valvs i will keep u posted thanks again
post #5 of 5 Old 04-24-2008, 9:23 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Definitely look into the cct. Mine was making the same noise, changed out the cct, noise gone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page