Any problems installing led mirrors and rear signals? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 1:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Any problems installing led mirrors and rear signals?

Hey guys,

I would like to install some mirror's that have the signal lamps (18 Leds) integrated into them. I would also light to install some rear led turn signals on my 00 929.

Just wondering if they would flash normally or if you guys have any other advice.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 1:55 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: Any problems installing led mirrors and rear signals?

if you go with led's you'll need to install a resistor...
post #3 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 2:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi,

I thought you may say that. Any idea on the value of the resistor needed?

I assume I can just install my own in line somewhere?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-18-2008, 2:16 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via Yahoo to curt248

There are two ways to solve the problem. You can use a resistor or a relay. The resistor solution is more barbaric and the relay solution is quite elegant.

If you go for resistors you need to install a resistor at each blinker. That's 4 resistors for front and back blinkers. The resistors get hot and you need to find a place to put them where they won't damage any other wiring.

They relay is super easy and will take care of all 4 blinkers with one unit. You just need an electronic relay. You can buy them on ebay specific for your bike. I just went to an autoparts store and bought one for $12 because I didn't want to wait for shipping. You just need a 3 prong electronic relay for your bike. My bike is a 2001 929 which is exactly the same as yours. I believe I also bought the same 18 led integrated led mirrors for my bike as well. You can see them on my bike if you click on my picture gallery here. The easiest way to get to your relay is to take off the windshield. It's right under the speedometer. There are two black boxes under the speedo. If you are sitting on the bike it's the one on the right. Just unplug it and plug in the new one (if you buy from the autoparts store you might have to splice some wires together which is pretty tough because there isn't much extra wire to work with on our bikes). I would suggest buying one specific for the 929 on ebay (~$16) to make it super easy. That way you will just unplug the old one and plug in the new electronic relay.

The old relay is called a thermal relay on works on resistance. The electronic ones run on a timer instead.

Last edited by curt248; 04-18-2008 at 2:21 AM.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-18-2008, 1:36 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I bought the relay at the dealer for $15. I think it was sold by Lockhart Philips. It was the one made for suzuki but it plugged right into my 929 and works fine.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-18-2008, 9:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt248 View Post
There are two ways to solve the problem. You can use a resistor or a relay. The resistor solution is more barbaric and the relay solution is quite elegant.

If you go for resistors you need to install a resistor at each blinker. That's 4 resistors for front and back blinkers. The resistors get hot and you need to find a place to put them where they won't damage any other wiring.

They relay is super easy and will take care of all 4 blinkers with one unit. You just need an electronic relay. You can buy them on ebay specific for your bike. I just went to an autoparts store and bought one for $12 because I didn't want to wait for shipping. You just need a 3 prong electronic relay for your bike. My bike is a 2001 929 which is exactly the same as yours. I believe I also bought the same 18 led integrated led mirrors for my bike as well. You can see them on my bike if you click on my picture gallery here. The easiest way to get to your relay is to take off the windshield. It's right under the speedometer. There are two black boxes under the speedo. If you are sitting on the bike it's the one on the right. Just unplug it and plug in the new one (if you buy from the autoparts store you might have to splice some wires together which is pretty tough because there isn't much extra wire to work with on our bikes). I would suggest buying one specific for the 929 on ebay (~$16) to make it super easy. That way you will just unplug the old one and plug in the new electronic relay.

The old relay is called a thermal relay on works on resistance. The electronic ones run on a timer instead.

Hey Curt,

Thanks for the help. Yes those sure look like the same mirrors that I am looking at. Your bike looks pretty cool and the mirrors look good too.
I guess I will track the relay down and pick one up..

Who do you find the mirrors to be? Can you see anything behind you? and do they stay fixed in position?

Thanks again.

Jason
post #7 of 18 Old 04-19-2008, 9:18 AM

The mirrors are good. They are about as big as stock, but have a better shape. The magnification is different so it's easier to see past my shoulders.

The position tension is adjustable with a allen wrench. I just tightened mine a bit since I was riding on some rough roads. They don't move now.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-19-2008, 9:33 AM

those are the same mirrors i had on my 954. the fitting was crap so i adapted the origanals to fit by making the arm slightly thinner were it fits into the bracket using a dremmel tool. only slight adjustment required.looks ten times better. anyway had to take them off when some pratt knocked my bike over and damaged one. but the thing is they worked fine and i never had to fit a relay.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-19-2008, 9:44 AM

Reputation Power: 59

Sorry if im a bit late, but I would just get the relay. Its IMO easier than having to put your own resistors in and cost me £15 ($30) and was from Motrax - it plugged straight into my Hornet and bam, its done.

(Flashing rate was too high for MOT)

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #10 of 18 Old 04-19-2008, 1:37 PM

bumble blade. So you used the original base plate and original arm and attached the arm to the new led mirror?

Please explain how you did it again.

I agree the base plates don't fit perfectly, but the look of the mirrors outwieghs the negatives. It would be great to get the best of both worlds.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-24-2008, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt248 View Post
bumble blade. So you used the original base plate and original arm and attached the arm to the new led mirror?

Please explain how you did it again.

I agree the base plates don't fit perfectly, but the look of the mirrors outwieghs the negatives. It would be great to get the best of both worlds.
no what i used was the original base plate.disconect the bottom plates of the l.e.d you'll see that their slightly thicker than the original arms. then all you need to do is just slowly grind the excess away.its really easy. use a fixed sanding station or a belt sander upside down will do the trick.or even a dremmel (wood wizard).take your time as their only plastic.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-24-2008, 6:12 PM

So the arm that attaches to the led mirror is the aftermarket arm and you are only replacing the base plate?
post #13 of 18 Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 PM

Reputation Power: 0

i have leds on my bike and yes the flash super fast, should i put resister on it, will it hurt not having it?
post #14 of 18 Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 AM

the better and easier way is to replace the existing thermal turn signal relay with a electronic relay (they are timed instead). They only cost $12-17. That will solve the fast blinking on both the front and back blinkers. If you buy one specific for your bike on ebay you just unplug one and plug in the other.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-25-2008, 2:31 AM

also have the same led mirrors and i also used from the first time the oem bases,had to grind just a litl bit of the plastic arm but works great and nothing you can see....they tent to have a litle more vibration on high speeds but nothing to much.They look prety modern,and many people seems to like them on the road.
About the flash rate...since i also have a led undertail,it flashes prety fast,but i kind of like it...that way they are more visible!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page