93 900rr speedo healer help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 2:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

93 900rr speedo healer help

i have a 93 900rr with f4i gauges. setting it up has been kinda hard for me. the numbers just dont work for me. im doing something wrong. does anyone have a speedo healer on their 900rr? what correction percentages do you use?

the speedo healer goes from -99% to +99%..... what should i set it at. all sprockets are stock. i just need a number to start off from. help anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 7:37 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: 93 900rr speedo healer help

Dude, if it's a '93 then you have the speedo reading off the front wheel. It doesn't matter what sprockets you're running. What matters is the rolling radius of your front end which should be 17".

Be interested to know what speedo healer you've got for that - I was looking for one of those a little while back, I forget why, but couldn't find one? Any details much appreciated..?

Either way, for callibrating whatever it is you have, if you have or can borrow a gps, or have a friend with a bike and working speedo. You could use the speed reading off the gps/otherbike to get a ballpark figure. Doing this with a gps is straightforward. For the other bike solution get out on a nice clear road, agree a sampe/target speed with your friend, wait for a signal that he/she's at that speed then ride alongside for a couple of seconds while you check your clocks. You could also do this by temporarily fitting a cheap magnetic sensor driven motocross/bicycle speedo, tell it the front wheel's rolling rad and callibrate your clocks by the readings you get off that.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 6:58 PM Thread Starter

the f4i gauge is getting a reading off of a sensor on the side of the motor. The front wheel cable is no longer used. My friend and i tried to calibrate it but to no success. Driving next to him, my gauge said 6mph when we were doing 45mph. When i input the data onto the online calibrator calculator, it give me a error. can some one enter the units for me and tell me what to set the percentage to? i think im doing something wrong.

my speedo calculator is the black one with the red and white switch board. i believe it's a version 3. something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 10:32 PM

hmmm.. sounds like your speedo is reading off the scale. if it's 45 real mph to 6 mph on the guage you'd be needing something like +600% compensation (on the numbers alone, never used the kit). Maybe that's why you're getting an error, if the scale allows you to add or subtract upto 99% then your gonna be a little short. Have you tried just dialling in +99% and seeing if you get 12 mph rather than 6? I mean just to see if you're able to input anything at all?

FWIW I just replaced my speedo cable and gear after my guage stopped reading. The parts were cheap as chips (new from david silver spares who stockpile old garbage like this.. and prolly ship to the states no prob) and took about a minute to fit, after I'd got the bike jacked up and the front wheel off. There's plenty of original clocks on ebay to avoid having to shell out for a new one if you wanted or are able to go that route tho I guess you'll have considered that.

Can I ask what sort of sensor you have rigged onto the side of the motor?
Sorry, just being nosy.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-19-2008, 3:08 AM Thread Starter

i think i just did something wrong. ill find out what it is.. and ill take a pik of that sensor tomorrow.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-19-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by importnoodles View Post
i think i just did something wrong. ill find out what it is.. and ill take a pik of that sensor tomorrow.
cheers noodles, will look out for that. good luck mate.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-19-2008, 2:22 PM Thread Starter

heres a pik of that sensor.....

i managed to get the speedo to read 70 when i was doing about 55 next to my friend. I guess all hope isnt lost yet. i'll just plus or minus bit by bit till its right. thanks anyways. ill post up the final calibration numbers when i get to it just in case someone is too lazy to calibrate themselves.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-19-2008, 5:17 PM

nice one noodles - did you purchase or fab that unit or was it already on the bike? It looks like it's poking through the sprocket cover and being driven (mechanically?) by the crank.

Getting 70 at 55? That sounds a little more encouraging. What was causing such a low reading to begin with? Did you figure it out? From where it is now you should be able to just back off by errhh.. oh I dunno. Anyways if you have to do it by trial and error "binary chop" is your friend. If you're set at say +10% you now try +5% if that's too low go +7.5% or too high go +2.5%, and so on. Depending on the accuracy you're looking for you should be able to nail it in 2 to 4 more goes by that method.

Sweet! Good luck with the final tweaks.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-20-2008, 3:02 AM Thread Starter

it was already there when i bought it. I saw it somewhere else on this board also so im sure you can just buy it. thanks for the input.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-20-2008, 4:09 AM

Reputation Power: 15

The sensor is right.

The SpeedoHealer is the wrong one. That's why it is not multiplying the signal properly. You need a custom SpeedoHealer which multiplies up to 1000%, not 100%. And you can't modify your existing SH to work...it's a hardware difference!

Read my thread below and it will give you all the info you need, including the correct Speedohealer you need to order. (BTW, I'm the one who first did this conversion):

F4i digital gauges onto a 900RR! - RRZone Forums

Cheers,
Sime
post #11 of 12 Old 04-20-2008, 1:46 PM Thread Starter

thanks, thats the post ive been reading up on to learn about wtf i have on my bike. it been really helpfull to me. ill be fine tuning the speedo today to see if i can get it closer to where it needs to be.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-20-2008, 3:59 PM Thread Starter

after some trial and error, i finally understand what you mean. I do need a speedohealer that multiplies much higher. ill be ordering that one soon. that custom one doesn't seem avaliable anymore so i guess ill be going with the version 4. thanks a million.

Last edited by importnoodles; 04-20-2008 at 4:28 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page