whats up with my tachs??? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-20-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

whats up with my tachs???

I recently orederd and installed a set of the White backrounds for my gauge cluster on my 1998 CBR 900RR. Everything went well, or so i though it did i didn't seems to have any problems and im sure i put everything back the way it came out but when i reinstalled the cluster onto my bike and turn the key on the both speedo and tach go up. 2000 rpm on the tach and 20mph on the speedo and they stay there. they dont return to the needle stop untill i turn the key back off. Anyone have any ideas what i may ghave done wrong and how to fix it???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2008, 9:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: whats up with my tachs???

get a manual, strip and bebuild - obviously you have inadvertanlty put something back together not quite right!
post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2008, 12:21 PM

Reputation Power: 0

got something on the circuit board crossed when you were installing the background, take it back apart and examine the board, see if anything looks wrong, it will take a while to examine every little point on the board but all it takes is a little bit of continuity between two of the soder points and it will do all kinds of wack stuff, a peice of metal, some liquid, slight bends, small breaks in bus lines, lots of stuff could do it. its a very sensitive part when taken out of its housing so handle it gently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-21-2008, 7:35 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Did you take the needles off? If so you proabably put them on incorrectly. It is very important to put them on in the exact same place they came off from or they will do what you describe... point to the incorrect place on the dial.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-21-2008, 9:10 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 12

i guess there is always the possibility i did put the needles on wrong but i was real sure to try to put everything back exactly as it came off. Also what are the chances that i put both of them on in exactly the same wrong spot? they both move up almost exactly the same on both speedo and tach. lastly if this is true and i did put them back in the wrong spot, how do you go about putting them on properly. i know that i made sure they were tight to the stop needle. Is this a trial and error procces? I did pull them back off and recheck the main board and everything seems to be in good shape and clean. still doing the same thing.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-21-2008, 9:21 PM

Reputation Power: 0

check manual is the 2k and 20 mph a code?
post #7 of 7 Old 04-22-2008, 1:43 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwozzy View Post
i guess there is always the possibility i did put the needles on wrong but i was real sure to try to put everything back exactly as it came off. Also what are the chances that i put both of them on in exactly the same wrong spot? they both move up almost exactly the same on both speedo and tach. lastly if this is true and i did put them back in the wrong spot, how do you go about putting them on properly. i know that i made sure they were tight to the stop needle. Is this a trial and error procces? I did pull them back off and recheck the main board and everything seems to be in good shape and clean. still doing the same thing.
When you pull the needle off the center post the center post turns counterclockwise. Then if you put the needle on in what you think is the same place, when you turn on the cluster the center post rotates (clockwise) to return to its zero spot.

The Speedo and tach are electric meters with a live zero. Live zero means that with no power the center post is actually trying to turn the needle past the stop post and when the needle reads zero it is actually being driven there by a voltage.

Thats why they are both incorrect by the same amount.

to fix this you need to measure how far the needles are from the top of the low stop post when they are on. then de-energize the meters and take theneedles off. With the meter de-energized replace the needles so they point to an area below the stop post that is the same distance that you measured above the post. When the needle is back on the on the center drive post and pointing below the stop post to the correct spot, gently lift the needle point and rotaate it clockwise above and past the stop post. Then let it go and it should come to rest with a little force against the stop post. Turn on the meter and see what it reads if good your done if not good measur the distance again and repeat the above till you are happy with the reading.

This will get you very close to a correct indication, perhaps better than the factory on the speedo at least.

The actual best way is to calibrate them by application of a known voltage to the meter and then attach the needle with it pointing at the correct reading. For instance apply a voltage that corresponds to 100 mph then attach the needle pointing at 100.

Last edited by D.Nac; 04-22-2008 at 1:49 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page