Electrical Puzzler (clock & battery) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-30-2008, 1:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Electrical Puzzler (clock & battery)

Okay - I have searched the threads and articles and come up empty. Maybe some of you can shed some light on this. Not sure if these are related, but ...

I have an '02 954. Recently the clock lost it's time. I reset it, only to have it lose the time immediately upon shutting the bike off.

Most of the time I keep the bike on a battery tender and noticed that it indicated "charging" at the time. I left it and came back a couple days later to discover that it still states "charging". It never seems to achieve the "float" point.

The bike starts just fine and does not seem to lack the ability to provide charging to the battery while on a ride. All lights work perfectly and the FI never flinches. I have taken the bike on a couple hour ride with no issues that might indicate a charging problem.

Is there a secondary battery that assists in keeping the time for the bike during short electrical interruptions? My BMW automobile has a 9-volt for such purposes.

Could this be due to a dead cell on the battery or some other issue with the battery that just has not gotten large enough to effect the ability of the bike to start and provide spark?

Anyone?

Thanks...
AD

Harris Bracket Fender Eliminator
Hindle High-Mount Exhaust
PowerCommanderIIIr
Pro-Tek Sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-30-2008, 1:53 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: Electrical Puzzler (clock & battery)

There is a fuse under the seat just for the clock...take a look it might be blown. I am by no means a pro at electrical, as I am up crapcreek without a paddle right now myself, but I have run across this fuse a few times and I have used it for a backup if one of my more important ones blows.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-01-2008, 9:58 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 18

Anyone else have any bright ideas?

Harris Bracket Fender Eliminator
Hindle High-Mount Exhaust
PowerCommanderIIIr
Pro-Tek Sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-01-2008, 1:47 PM

Reputation Power: 13

There is only one battery on the 954, the main one, and it runs everything including the clock. If you leave your bike on the battery tender for 2 days and it never reaches float or full charge something is wrong. First thing I would try is disconnecting the battery from the bike and try charging it directly from the battery tender. This will quickly separate a bike problem from a battery problem. If the battery charges to full there probably is a problem with the bike, if the battery does not charge fully the battery is probably the issue.

I am betting on a bad battery.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page