Valve clearence, can someone show me? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-02-2003, 1:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Valve clearence, can someone show me?

hey everyone, winter is setting in here in seattle and I would like to do my own valve clearence check, I have some mechanical knowledge but I dont think I have enough of it. So if someone can show me a link or kind of walk me through on how to do it I would appreciate it. I know its very time consuming and I swear I wont sue anyone or blame people for making me do something wrong. I would take it to the dealership but everytime I take it there I end up spending more than I would like to, oh yeah If you can all describe what tools I will need for the job I would appreciate that as well. If you guys think I shouldnt do it myself thats fine to. Now for the other issue, can someone walk me through a front and rear brake pad change as well and recomendations of pads? I already considered some steel braided lines but I decided not to do it. So yeah here is the challenge, make me into a Honda tech! haha ok thanks

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-02-2003, 6:37 AM

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/joelcoo....nce.htm

Try this
post #3 of 4 Old 11-02-2003, 9:38 PM

That is a pretty good writeup.

If you plan on doing these types of things yourself then do yourself a favor and hit up the HELM website (www.helminc.com) to purchase your 929RR shop manual. It tells you everything you need to do to check the valves and adjust them if required. The thing only costs $60 and is well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-03-2003, 5:09 AM

Reputation Power: 18

if you have to change shims, do make the little tool they suggest in the manual, it's impossible to get anything else to do the job, with the frame in place. also try to make it out of fairly sturdy metal- I made mine out of one of those bits of metal that cover up the slots in a computer case, it was only just strong enough, when I pulled it out it was rather twisted.

the manual is pretty much what you need, if you're just *checking* the gaps it's a much easier task, just have to take the top cover off the motor and the crank cover off the side and get to it with the feeler guages.

if you do find there are some gaps that are out of spec then the fun starts.

if you need to change some you'll need:
the little key thing from the manual for tha cam chain tensioner

a small mirror, a dentists one would be ideal, I just snapped one off one of my girlfriends makeup compact thing.

a magnetic pickup tool

a micrometer.

and lots of patience.

Ben.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page