.95 springs too hard? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-02-2003, 5:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: .95 springs too hard?

Could use some advice on this.

I have a 2000 model Fireblade (929). I weigh around 82 kilo's (183 pounds?). I had the .95 raceteck springs fitted and the spacers cut as per Dan's recommendation. I run 5 weight oil in the thing. The preload is wound right out and compression and damping is pretty much wound out as well. The bike handles terrible. It seems to be very harsh at the front especially at higher speeds and wollows in corners.

Also, the bike now sits higher at the front because of the springs, and the bike does not tip in as easily as before.

Racetech here in oz recommended .85 springs for my weight and said that it sounds like the spring is too hard and that's what's causing the harshness.

Should I replace the spring with a .85 or do you think fitting gold valves could solve the problem? I have no idea so any feedback would help.

I'm in Australia so sending the forks to Dan is not an option...

thanks in advance

Damo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-02-2003, 5:47 PM

Sounds like too much compression damping still to me. If you can get good loaded sag and unloaded sag, then the springs should be fine, but harshness is more related to damping than the spring.

Also, the front is riding higher now. Try raising the rear 4-5mm. When I first got my forks fixed on my 929, I thought the same, felt like the front never went down. After a while I got used to it and realized that was how it was supposed to be...
post #3 of 10 Old 11-02-2003, 6:52 PM

Reputation Power: 25

I have the .95 in, put in by Dan. *It seemed a bit stiffer at first. *Even with the minimum preload setting, my static sag value was a bit smaller than what I might have wanted to try. *However, I like the way it handles. *It was a moderate improvement in feel. *There was a big improvement in action during braking. *Much less hobby-horsing.

It seems to work nicely on the track. I am now thinking of actually raising the fork tubes a little to quicken up the steering. *

Bottom line though, is that I am satisified with the .95 springs. *I find them more comfortable in some ways than the stock .73 springs. *Like when you hit a big bump, it feels more stable and less wallowy. I weigh 163 without gear, 185 with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-02-2003, 8:27 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Hey there.

I just got off the phone to Frank Pons at BikeTek in Sydney (02) 4620 9020. I'm getting mine redone next week for $650. The front needs stiffer springs, but if you ride on Aussie roads anything more than .9kg/mm will be too hard. I'm the same weight as you (79, so near enough) and he reckons either .85 or .9, we'll see how we go. Front shims etc will be revalved (no need for gold vavles, standard are very good, just need reworking). The rear spring will be fine, but the rebound damping is way to harsh apparently, and the compression less so. All up, new springs in the front, revalve at the front, then a revalve at the rear to sort the shock out. Should take about 4 hours. I'll let you know how I go, if you ride similar roads to myself (usually kinda bumpy, we are in Oz&#33 I reckon a very similar set up should work for you well. I'll give you the final details exactly next week when I get it all done.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-02-2003, 10:08 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Did you set the sag yet? It also sounds like you might not have enough rebound. You might not be able to get enough without revalving.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-02-2003, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

I think 0.95 is a bit to hard for Aussie roads, unless oyu do lots of track time...

Probably do very nicely on those smooth roads you guys in the US have

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #7 of 10 Old 11-03-2003, 6:30 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated. I will raise the forks ie lower the front by 5mm and see what happens. I've got a damper (note spelling, Will) so things should'nt get too much out of shape, right? Seiously though, I will fit a set of goldvalves and see if that helps given the wider range of settings.

Cheers
post #8 of 10 Old 11-03-2003, 7:57 AM

Quote:
omen137 : thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated. *I will raise the forks ie lower the front by 5mm and see what happens. I've got a damper (note spelling, Will) so things should'nt get too much out of shape, right? *Seiously though, I will fit a set of goldvalves and see if that helps given the wider range of settings.

Cheers
NOTE: You are going to note a compromise in the handling when you drop the front end. If anything - raise the rear. If you want to drag race (straightline stability) - lower the front/rear.

I dont want you do bust your , since you state the bike already handles like

Good luck.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-03-2003, 12:14 PM

Quote:
omen137 : Could use some advice on this.

I have a 2000 model Fireblade (929). *I weigh around 82 kilo's (183 pounds?). *I had the .95 raceteck springs fitted and the spacers cut as per Dan's recommendation. I run 5 weight oil in the thing. The preload is wound right out and compression and damping is pretty much wound out as well. *The bike handles terrible. *It seems to be very harsh at the front especially at higher speeds and wollows in corners.

Also, the bike now sits higher at the front because of the springs, and the bike does not tip in as easily as before.

Racetech here in oz recommended .85 springs for my weight and said that it sounds like the spring is too hard and that's what's causing the harshness.

Should I replace the spring with a .85 or do you think fitting gold valves could solve the problem? *I have no idea so any feedback would help.

I'm in Australia so sending the forks to Dan is not an option...

thanks in advance

Damo
It actually sounds like (even though you mentioned Dan's specs) that the preload spacer is too long, or the oil level is too high. Combine either of those with a decent amount of stiction and you would have the symptoms that you describe.

Just for reference, the stock oil level is around 90 mm, but this is really too high even with the 5 wt fluid. I would start at 110 mm on the height (and make certain you use the correct procedure to measure it: springs out, fork tube completely collapsed and vertical). I don't have the spec for the spacer length, but even following Traxxion's recommendations, Dan cut an additional 10 mm from the already cut down spacers on my 929. I had no harshness, wallowing etc. and with the tube polishing to reduce the stiction and Dan's revalve the .95 KG springs were exactly the right choice (I weigh about 185 in gear).
post #10 of 10 Old 11-14-2003, 8:02 AM

I bought some WP progressive springs (.75 to 1.0) and had to take them out because the bike was so rough over bumps it was scary.

I never had a problem with the standard springs but read so much in here about how replacing makes the bike handle much better. To each is own I guess.

Besides everybody's riding style is different and I guess I dont put a lot of weight on the front so I dont need stiffer springs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page