Speed vs. drag - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-09-2008, 7:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Speed vs. drag

Here're the results of a little experiment I'm doing: comparing speed to road angle. Bike is a stock 2006 Blade, I weigh 187lbs, riding at sea level.

1) On a flat surface, the top speed I ever got was 166mph, and it takes a long time and road stretch to get there.
2) On a 1mile fairly steep uphill, I can hit 162mph!
3) On the same uphill with a 170lb passenger I got 147.
4) On the same hill going down, I max out at 159

So, going uphill I can almost do the same speed as flat road, and in a much shorter period. Going downhill, I can't reach neither the flat nor uphill speed.

I didn't realize wind drag made such a huge difference: the steeper the uphill, the less drag there is. Opposite goes for downhill.

Comments? If I'm right it means the double-bubble windshield I've ordered should make quite a huge difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-09-2008, 2:29 PM

Reputation Power: 66

Send a message via Yahoo to bettingpython
Re: Speed vs. drag

First off I hope you were not on public roads doing this, and taking a passenger to those speeds is wreckless and ill advised.

Second angle of attack has no bearing on wind resistance unless it is blocking a headwind.

Third weight is also a factor in limiting top speed.

Drag is simple with every doubling of speed the drag force generated quadruples.

If it requires only 10hp to maintain 50mph it would require 80hp to maintain 100mph

post #3 of 6 Old 05-09-2008, 3:06 PM Thread Starter

Closed-down public road. Same rider, same weight. Wind-free. These speed figures remained consistent throughout the last few months. Although it doesn't really make sense, angle of attack is the only changed variable. Really puzzling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-10-2008, 2:00 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

To have anything even remotely accurate you need to do all the runs on the same day, at the same time and ideally very close to the same location.
If you're talking over a period of months it could be just about anything.
Worn or under-inflated rear tyre will give you lower gearing so you're speedo will read higher at the same speed. The weight of a pillion will change it even further and the pillion causes a lot more drag as well. Really low pressure could generate more rolling resistance and give you a lower speed. Over several months your engine tune will go off a bit or from a brand new engine it might even improve as it loosens up. Full or empty fuel tank should have an effect at top speed. Low oil level or even different oil could give another hp one way or the other. A different helmet, jacket or boots could also alter wind drag. Whether the bike has just been polished or is filthy would make a difference as well.
Way too many variables to take anything meaningful from it I'm afraid.
The double bubble _may_ make a difference but I doubt it'd be huge and it could even increase frontal area and create more drag. The only way to know for sure is to test it in a wind tunnel.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 6 Old 05-10-2008, 5:01 AM Thread Starter

OK rephrase: go up the hill, get the reading, go down the hill, get the reading. 5minutes apart between the two. So no difference in any of those variables. And for each of those _sessions_ the relative figures remain consistent, maybe two or three mph out due to all the mentioned factors. The pillion figure was just to indicate the effect of added mass, not anything else.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-10-2008, 5:39 AM

Reputation Power: 12

where is this closed down public road pal? would love to test my bike out there as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page