Engine break in - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-03-2003, 6:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Engine break in

I apologise in advance if this has been done to death, but I only found one topic when I did a few searchs in the forum.

I will be getting the first brand new bike I have ever bought after 20+ years riding in Dec. The last of the 954s into Aussy. I would have merrily gone about breaking it in the old fashioned way until seeing the site of that Motoman guy who advises breaking in hard.

Motoman break in page

Would really appreciate some feedback on experiance in this area as I will be keeping this baby for some years and want to 'do it right'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-03-2003, 8:12 AM

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forum.

Yes, you are correct - we have discussed this quite a few times. Most of us believe in an approach very similar to Motoman's procedure. You will be safe to take his approach.

Enjoy the Blade!
post #3 of 13 Old 11-03-2003, 8:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

This seems to be a topic that splits everyone. I personally broke my 929 in fairly hard (not thrashed - but hard) though I did not change oil until about 600km. Having said that my bike only put out 120hp at the rear wheel when broken in (near the bottom of the spectrum).

HOWEVER - once a full hindle wa sinstalled, and the bike was mapped by a pro, I ended up with 149.3 rear wheel hp. that, is at the very top of the spectrum. Most 929's were getting 136 - 142 at the back wheel - with the exception of abtech, who I believe may have gotten a touch more hp than I did.

Anyway, I personally, with my brand new 954 that is being delivered in December, will be doing the break in on a dyno, and changing the oil at the 100km mark, then 600, then the shop can do the 1000km service. I personally think the oil change thing right at the start is probably an important step.

Though having said that, this is my bike, my money, and my risk, and I will be posting dyno charts when finished.

Plenty of people (that are very knowledgable) will probably give oyu lots of advice here - it's up to you to do what you think is best. Smartest move would probably be 'somewhere in between with the early oil change' But anyway, let the opinions flow again, this topic was covered on the last forum, but I don't think it was carried over.

If anything, even if the guy is wrong, at least he does make us all think. that is a good thing.

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-03-2003, 10:32 AM

Yep, that's the way.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-03-2003, 10:37 AM

I think too many folks get all lathered up over highly intricate break-in procedures... and to no real benefit to the motorcycle. An old shop owner once told me to do this:

1) For the first ~450 miles of a typical 500 mile break-in period proper, use up to about 2/3'rd throttle application and roughly half the tach (no more than, say, six grand on the 954 for instance).

2) For the last ~50 miles of the period, wring the motor out to redline in a variety of circumstances (differing loads, gears, uphill, downhill, etc - variety at WFO is what you're striving for here).

3) Come home, do the oil and filter change.

You're done. Ride it as you will.

Works for him (he's got about 80,000 miles on a storming TLS and has never been in the motor, not once).

Works for me too.

My .02 worth only, YMMV.

Edit: typo

post #6 of 13 Old 11-03-2003, 1:12 PM

Reputation Power: 25

I agree with Chain's comments.

No need to wring it out like a dirty rag, but don't baby it either. I think that moto who-ever stuff is a bit careless. The guys who actually engineered the motor probably know better than Mr. 'That's what my grampa says'.

Put some load on the engine, but vary it. No sustained full throttle operation until after the 600 mile mark. Change the oil at 600 to get the break-in bits out of there. Pretty much what it says in the manual, but with a bit less worry over hitting the gas now and then.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-03-2003, 3:51 PM

I vary speed/rpms for the 1st 100 miles to about 3/4 of redline,then change the oil.After that,I consider the engine broken in and proceed to find the rev limiter I have done this with ever new bike and car and have not had an oil burner yet.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-03-2003, 8:39 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Ride it like you're gonna ride it, just keep it about 2-3k below redline
post #9 of 13 Old 11-03-2003, 11:20 PM

Since I bought my bike out of town I had to drive about 125 miles on the highway to get it home. *I left it in 6th gear and didn't really vary my speed much except for between 65 and 85. *Was this bad for my bike as far as breaking it in?
'00 929

By the way, 2OHOH2954's avatar is awesome

post #10 of 13 Old 11-03-2003, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Red99TA : Since I bought my bike out of town I had to drive about 125 miles on the highway to get it home. *I left it in 6th gear and didn't really vary my speed much except for between 65 and 85. *Was this bad for my bike as far as breaking it in?
'00 929
Nah, no biggie. As cheap as the oil and filter are, though, I'd change them out right now if I were you. Then again at 600. Then down the road ('when' has been the cause of many nearly-religious wars ), switch to synthetic; somewhere between 1.5 and 3K IMO.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-04-2003, 6:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will use a mix of all the ideas. Will change the oil and filter after about 160km, as I have to ride that far to get it home. The only drawback I can see in changing the oil early is the extra cost. A small thing in the life of a bike. There are some nice winding roads on the way home to vary the load a lot. Will stay several thou under redline on this initial trip, aiming for variety rather than abuse.

Will be on holidays when it arrives so there will be several long rides over good winding road to finish the break in before the 1000km first service.

Any critisisms of this plan?
post #12 of 13 Old 11-04-2003, 6:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Sounds like a plan to me

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #13 of 13 Old 11-04-2003, 7:37 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Bennie Da Blade : Thanks for the input guys. I think I will use a mix of all the ideas. Will change the oil and filter after about 160km, as I have to ride that far to get it home. The only drawback I can see in changing the oil early is the extra cost. A small thing in the life of a bike. There are some nice winding roads on the way home to vary the load a lot. Will stay several thou under redline on this initial trip, aiming for variety rather than abuse.

Will be on holidays when it arrives so there will be several long rides over good winding road to finish the break in before the 1000km first service.

Any critisisms of this plan?
Hakuna Matata

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page