Insurance / Storage question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-04-2003, 9:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Insurance / Storage question

Been thinking........ my bike is financed thru honda financing.... and i know when something is financed you have to have full coverage.....

would i be able to turn my tag in...... drop my insurance for a year and store my bike in my garage.... wouldn't it then be covered under my homeowners policy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-04-2003, 9:56 AM

Reputation Power: 31

I don't think so...at least not in NJ. I knew a guy once who tried to do that with a car that he had financed when he left for a year (he was in the service). Because he dropped the insurance as he'd be storing it, they tried to repo it on him. I'd check that out carefully. Finance companies want full coverage, and I don't think homeowner's covers vehicles.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-04-2003, 9:56 AM

Hmmm, it should be... Anything not licensed for highway use I thought was covered under your homeowners unless there is some limit stated in there... I would make an 'anonymous' call to your agent to get clarification...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-04-2003, 9:57 AM

Quote:
HondaGalToo : I don't think so...at least not in NJ. *I knew a guy once who tried to do that with a car that he had financed when he left for a year (he was in the service). *Because he dropped the insurance as he'd be storing it, they tried to repo it on him. *I'd check that out carefully. *Finance companies want full coverage, and I don't think homeowner's covers vehicles.
HGToo might be correct! I think it'll cover it from an insurance point of view, but whether its good enough for the finance comp. is another issue...
post #5 of 9 Old 11-04-2003, 10:01 AM

Conisder getting the bike refinanced with another company if Honda is too strict. If homeowners' doesn't cover it, find out how much (it should be cheap) comprehensive alone would cost you. Try a combo of the above.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-04-2003, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was talking my agent just now, and decided to ask about this while I had him on the phone. He said you would have to keep comprehensive on it, but could drop the liability since you didn't have a tag on it, and weren't driving it.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-04-2003, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

hmmm ah ok. course that sucks, ona count that's the most expensive part
post #8 of 9 Old 11-04-2003, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Critz, I don't know if this is relevant to your case, but my son had a situation in which he had gone to Europe after graduating college, and stayed a few weeks longer than he had planned. During this time, he allowed his car insurance to lapse, since the car needed radiator work anyway and wasn't drivable. When he got back, he reinstated his policy.

4 months later, he gets a new job and a different car, and can't get coverage, because he couldn't show 6 months continuous coverage on his previous vehicle, despite the fact that that car was covered for four years, except that one month.

The insurance companies were taking this opportunity to treat him as if he was a new driver. I put him on my fleet coverage so he could move on.

These damned insurance companies will find any excuse to screw with everybody, so watch out for unintended consequences.

One more story - when I was 19,(32 years ago) and about to get married, my wife and I bought our first car for $375.00. ( 1964 Dodge Dart wagon) We needed to get it insured, but Allstate wouldn't insure me because I wasn't married, and too high a risk because I had been the hittee in a hit and run accident on my motorcycle the previous year. At that point they wanted to charge me more than the car's value per year.

I mentioned this to my dad, since it was his agent. He got on the phone and asked his agent to pull out his file, and make sure the house, three cars, the pool, the fire and earthquake insurance were all there. Then he told him to shove them all up his ass and hung up.

The agent called back within two minutes, and guess what? He 'found a way' to insure me at a reasonable rate. Pricks then, pricks now.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-04-2003, 11:15 AM

Amen

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page