Michelin Pilot Race & Race Soft tires - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-21-2003, 2:20 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Michelin Pilot Race & Race Soft tires

I found a source for a set of Michelin Pilot Race fronts and Race Soft rear tires for $210. After checking around I see that Michelin also has Pilot Race 2's (H2, S2, M2?). What's the difference between the Race and Race 2's? Has anybody tried the Pilot Races and if so, is $210 a good deal?

Still deciding whether I want to try Michelins for the track or stick with the Rennsport Races (at $350...ouch).

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-21-2003, 3:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

My brother just put a set of Pilot Race on his RC and seems to like them a lot. though they haven't been put to the test on the track yet. The guys on ROGUE forum like the hell out of them. Make sure you take an extra lap to heat them up. The michelins do not warm up as quickly as other tires.

As for the price, $210 for a set sounds like a hell of a deal. Andy paid just over $300 for his set.

Mike
post #3 of 15 Old 05-21-2003, 3:54 PM

Hey Peter, I might be able to hook you up with a set of Michelin Pilot 2's (S2 front, M2 rear) on the cheap (under $300). I picked up a bunch of tires and got a pretty good deal on them. I had arranged to sell a pair to a friend but it looks like he is getting out of track days. So, I probably have a set (maybe 2) I could let go. Let me know if you are interested.

BTW, Pater, my guess is your friend is running the Race 2's. The old Pilot Race tires are no longer made and can be had cheap because people are trying to unload any remaining ones they have. The Race 2's normally run $350/set unless you can find a dealer who can cut a deal when purchasing a large amount (like I did).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-21-2003, 4:01 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Pater : My brother just put a set of Pilot Race on his RC and seems to like them a lot. *though they haven't been put to the test on the track yet. *The guys on ROGUE forum like the hell out of them. *Make sure you take an extra lap to heat them up. *The michelins do not warm up as quickly as other tires. *

As for the price, $210 for a set sounds like a hell of a deal. *Andy paid just over $300 for his set.

Mike
Are the guys on ROGUE raving about the Race or Race 2's? Apparently there is a difference between the two (Races are an older design?). Something keeps telling me that there must be a reason why the Races are selling so much cheaper than the Race 2's.

post #5 of 15 Old 05-21-2003, 4:04 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
lfg929 : Hey Peter, I might be able to hook you up with a set of Michelin Pilot 2's (S2 front, M2 rear) on the cheap (under $300). I picked up a bunch of tires and got a pretty good deal on them. I had arranged to sell a pair to a friend but it looks like he is getting out of track days. So, I probably have a set (maybe 2) I could let go. Let me know if you are interested.

BTW, Pater, my guess is your friend is running the Race 2's. The old Pilot Race tires are no longer made and can be had cheap because people are trying to unload any remaining ones they have. The Race 2's normally run $350/set unless you can find a dealer who can cut a deal when purchasing a large amount (like I did).
Just caught your edit. That explains it! Thanks for the offer on the 2's. Are these the tires you've been using and raving about to me? What size is the rear? I'm still debating on whether to try the Michelins or stick with the sticky Renns!

post #6 of 15 Old 05-21-2003, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Red Rider : Quote (lfg929 @ May 21 2003, 2:54pm)Hey Peter, I might be able to hook you up with a set of Michelin Pilot 2's (S2 front, M2 rear) on the cheap (under $300). I picked up a bunch of tires and got a pretty good deal on them. I had arranged to sell a pair to a friend but it looks like he is getting out of track days. So, I probably have a set (maybe 2) I could let go. Let me know if you are interested.

Just caught your edit. *That explains it! *Thanks for the offer on the 2's. *Are these the tires you've been using and raving about to me? *What size is the rear? *I'm still debating on whether to try the Michelins or stick with the sticky Renns!
These are the same tires I had at Mid-Ohio last year when we all did CLASS together. They stuck like glue and just about refused to lose grip. The only time I got them to slide a little bit was coming out of the carosel when I got the bike low enough to drag the pegs pretty hard (hard enough to grind off quite a bit of peg in just a half a second or so). I tried the H2 last year as well and didn't like it at all, but the S2/M2 combo rock so far.

I still like the Renns/SuperCorsas (super soft front, soft rear) and would buy those as well if I could get them at comparable prices. I ran my last set of Renns for 3 full days on the track and they were still gripping like there was no tomorrow.

Right now the Renns/SuperCorsas and Pilot S2/M2 are the only ones I would use.

I will have a new set of S2/M2 Pilot Race's on the bike for the June 11 STT track day at Mid-Ohio. If you are going to attend then I can bring an extra set with me if you want to pick them up.

BTW, the rear is a 180...

post #7 of 15 Old 05-21-2003, 4:15 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

I've used an S2 front and an M2 rear and liked them. They did seem to take longer to get up to temp than the 208GPs I'm running now.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #8 of 15 Old 05-21-2003, 6:02 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via Yahoo to DCEMotorsports

I used the S2 front and M2 rear at Grattan last weekend. Tire warmers are a must. Need to get to 140-160 deg F to be spot on. Probably would work well after a couple or 3 laps to get warm. The wear pattern looks good for Grattan. I had no worries and never lost traction for any reason. I'm hooked up.

When in doubt, gas it
post #9 of 15 Old 05-21-2003, 6:06 PM

DCE, the first time you use them they take a few laps to warm up. After that though they are pretty good after a single lap or so. I was able to turn it on for the 2nd lap last year at Mid-Ohio. I would imagine Grattan would get enough heat in them after 1 lap to do the same.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-21-2003, 6:11 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

The S2/M2 combo sounds like the way to go. How many track days/sessions/cycles do you get out of a set? More or less than the Renn Races?

post #11 of 15 Old 05-21-2003, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Red Rider : The S2/M2 combo sounds like the way to go. *How many track days/sessions/cycles do you get out of a set? *More or less than the Renn Races?
FYI--the M2 is actually a Harder compound than the H2--I have heard good things about the S2/M2 combo and really sucky things about the H2s

RS1/2 combo is sweet--I like it better than the D208-GPAs--but the Dunlops last longer
post #12 of 15 Old 05-22-2003, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Red Rider : The S2/M2 combo sounds like the way to go. *How many track days/sessions/cycles do you get out of a set? *More or less than the Renn Races?
For our meager abilities they last a good while. I got 3 good track days out of that last set (2 days at Mid-Ohio and 1 day at Putnam). They still had plenty of grip left at Putnam but I felt that I *should* replace them and went ahead and did it. Had a known then how sucky the H2 compound would have been then I wouldn't have done it and would have ran the S2/M2 tires another day. They still had plenty of tread left and the rubber still seemed to have full grip. I have been told they are good for 6-8 heat cycles, but I probably took them through 24 or so and still wasn't having any problems with them feeling like they were going to let go on me.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-03-2003, 2:59 PM

Had a long tall with Andy Carmen---we has the guy in the Sears point race that got taken out by the weenie on the Kawasaki--He runs an S2/M2 front and BTW is sponsored by Michelin--he said that they wil outlast just about every other tire he has run by apprx 30%, BTW--he runs 1:55s at T-Hill on an f4i which is hauling ass.

The one 'tip' that he had on using them is that they work best when they are getting railed on and may not be the best selection for beg-med track folks---also you need to give them alot of warm up---Who knows, maybe i will try them after all
post #14 of 15 Old 06-03-2003, 4:52 PM

Like I said, I never had any issues with the S2 and M2 compounds. They stuck like glue the whole time. Even though they were supposedly past their peak grip due to heat cycles they were still stuck to the pavement like there was no tomorrow. The only reason I changed them was because I didn't want to find out they had lost their grip the hard way. After having ridden some Rennsports pretty stinking hard for 3 track days I figure I will keep the tires mounted until they either: 1) run out of tread or 2) start letting go on me when I don't expect it.

Edit: I will add though that when the rear gets replaced the front will as well, regardless of how much tread is left on it.

post #15 of 15 Old 06-03-2003, 7:36 PM

I buy the thrust of the posts on the Michelin Pilot Race 2s - hard to warm up, maybe not so good for beginner inter, definitely not the choice for the road, grip like hell when warmed up.
Soft front, medium rear was perfect for me and they wore very well.
I'd say the Michelins are a little more compliant over bumps than the Rennsports, but are not quite as stable - the bike really rails on the Renns/Supercorsas.
I'd rate them about the same on breakaway characteristics once warmed up, it's perhaps a little easier to detect what's going on on the Renns/Supercorsas but I find the Renns are a lot easier to read when cold.
The front Michelin profile suits the Blade a little better I think, on my bike it steered beautifully at all angles from vertical to fully over wheras the rounder Renn can give a slightly flappy feel through the bars at about half way over when rolling in slowly. You don't feel it on track where you slap it through the zone quickly.
All in all I slightly prefer the Renns/Supercorsas because of the fact that I don't use warmers and do some road riding.
Nice to see some solid posts coming through again....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page