96 900 RR Blade: Rebuilding Gearbox.. Aftermarket Options? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 06-16-2008, 6:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

96 900 RR Blade: Rebuilding Gearbox.. Aftermarket Options?

Hi All,
Well the inevitable happened.. I bought the bike about a year ago, and all was good except for the shifter rod tabs being worn out, which caused a false neutral, which I changed, but shortly thereafter intermittently the bike wd pop outta 2nd and back into 1st. Its happening now on a regular basis under hard accel. So much so that I am lately skipping over 2nd when riding. Ive decided that the option of installing another motor sourced from a yard, or ebay is a risk where I cd end up with similar or worse problems.. my top end is fine. I wd rather rebuild the gearbox and know that I have new stuff in there.
So here is my question.
Shd I go with original Honda parts? or is there a more bulletproof aftermarket option out there for gear boxes. I am under the impression its the dogs that are gone, or rounded off and that is causing the slip back into 1st.
Can anyone recommend options for gears and and dogs and whatnot?
Im going to have it apart anyway, so I may as well put something in there that is gonna be able to take some abuse and hold up!
Look forward to the advice!
Cheers
Ronjon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-22-2008, 7:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: 96 900 RR Blade: Rebuilding Gearbox.. Aftermarket Options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronjonjd View Post
Hi All,
Well the inevitable happened.. I bought the bike about a year ago, and all was good except for the shifter rod tabs being worn out, which caused a false neutral, which I changed, but shortly thereafter intermittently the bike wd pop outta 2nd and back into 1st. Its happening now on a regular basis under hard accel. So much so that I am lately skipping over 2nd when riding. Ive decided that the option of installing another motor sourced from a yard, or ebay is a risk where I cd end up with similar or worse problems.. my top end is fine. I wd rather rebuild the gearbox and know that I have new stuff in there.
So here is my question.
Shd I go with original Honda parts? or is there a more bulletproof aftermarket option out there for gear boxes. I am under the impression its the dogs that are gone, or rounded off and that is causing the slip back into 1st.
Can anyone recommend options for gears and and dogs and whatnot?
Im going to have it apart anyway, so I may as well put something in there that is gonna be able to take some abuse and hold up!
Look forward to the advice!
Cheers
Ronjon
Hey All,

Well Its time to rebuild my tranny in my 96 900 RR Blade, Its been jumping out of 2nd and back into 1st. I looked into the problems and figured out what the issue is and my mechanic is gracefully letting me use his shop/tools to do the job, and give me pointers, for a bit of an extra price over just the parts.

When calling to get the parts, we were a bit confused as to what parts i have to order and which gears are the 1st and 2nd drive gears and which shifter fork is the one that needs changing. The Service manual only shows the parts and the numbers but doesnt indicate which ones are the 1st and 2nd drive gears and which forks serve which gears. Im going to change the fork and the dogs and whatever parts normally get f%&ked up

Can anyone here let me know what part numbers are the ones that I have to order? Its been a while since my wrench did this job on a 96, so he cant recall what the part numbers were and like i mentioned the service manual doesnt show the drive line diagrams like some do. Also any recommendations about what else I should check while in there would be good

Thanks
Cheers
Ronno
Gold Coast Aus
96 CBR 900 RR Fireblade
97 Ninja ZX6R Redbull GP Package
Brissy Riders Club, www.brissyridersclub.org

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page