Tuning 954 suspension - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-16-2008, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Tuning 954 suspension

Ok, i know im gonna sound like a squid for asking this...but i want to make sure that i know exactly waht im doing. Sooo....which adjustments on the stock 953 suspension do what? Ie: the ones at the top and bottoms of the forks, etc. I just want to tune my suspension a little more, and the suspension is the only thing that ive never really touched in the bike.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-16-2008, 2:31 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: Tuning 954 suspension

Forks= top is rebound, bottom is compression
Rear shock= top is compression, bottom is rebound
post #3 of 12 Old 06-17-2008, 1:09 PM

Reputation Power: 0

953, 954. Whatever it takes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-17-2008, 1:15 PM

I am always curious when street riders want to start turning knobs. Exactly what for? People don't realize how fast you can go on a stock bike.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-17-2008, 4:03 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer42 View Post
I am always curious when street riders want to start turning knobs. Exactly what for? People don't realize how fast you can go on a stock bike.

um what are you talking about? the suspension is still stock but changing the knobs just affects how it rides. its not always set up right for everyone. like my bike I thought was decent on all stock parts with stock settings, I never changed them because I don't really know what I'm doing. Last fall I put on an Ohlins shock and found out how much better things can be. And this winter I had the forks redone with new pistons, new springs and revalved shim stack. its probably too stiff for me but everything is gonna be too stiff but it all works much better than stock.

CBR_954_RR try fiddling with knobs and take it for a ride. just do one at a time (but do each fork together) and write down what you did. if you don't like it go back to where it was or go the other way. keep going through all the knobs till you get what you like. first place to start is getting the sag set properly and thats done with the big knobs (22mm wrench I think) on top of the forks and the big ramped collar on the shock. I think there's a writeup somewhere on here on how to set it up, do a search and you'll probably find it. best thing to do is find a local suspension guy and have him set it up, shouldn't cost too much to have him help with the sag and fiddle with the knobs.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-17-2008, 4:05 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Street or racing you need to tune your suspension for your weight. I had to soften mine because I only weigh 155lbs and the last owner weighed 300lbs . I was about to break my neck and my back on every bump. I took it back to stock then softened it a little on the rebound(front and Back) and on the rear spring pre-load.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-17-2008, 5:53 PM

I should have been more clear. If you set the sag. Then set the compression and rebound statically, where you just push down on the forks, and the shock where you get a nice fluid release. Not too fast or too sluggish then you should be golden. Beyond that don't start arbitrarily turning knobs without a tuning guide to tell you what knobs to turn for which conditions. And then write every change down, so you can undue it if it does not have the desired effect. Also try only changing ONE thing at a time. That way you have a clear understanding of what is and is not working.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-17-2008, 9:39 PM

Reputation Power: 13

You may want to read this first.

Motorcycle Suspension Setup - motor-racing.co.uk

post #9 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 2:29 AM

Reputation Power: 14

great link...
post #10 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Nac View Post
You may want to read this first.

Motorcycle Suspension Setup - motor-racing.co.uk

Yeah that is a good link, i have been wondering how to set it up for myself too.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-21-2008, 7:53 PM

WOW..I never really understood the dynamics of the front and rear suspension, terminology, settings etc. That was a really well written article that even I can follow. I will be playing with this, this weekend to see if I can figure it out and set mine up a little better for my weight. I am 200lbs and definitely notice that my bike is too squishy when diving into the corners...definitley not drifting out to the edges of the road. If I can figure this out I will be psyched, just one less thing I have to go to the stealer for!!
post #12 of 12 Old 08-21-2008, 8:16 PM

I have been riding all types of street bikes for about 6 years now and last year I did something that completely transformed my whole riding experience- I read a book!

Total Control by Lee Parks and it can be found in any Borders or Barnes and Noble.

It will answer all your suspension questions and teach you how to set up your suspension for you. Your bike will never be the same once you set your preload for YOU, then some fine tuning with compression and rebound and riding will be amazing. The book also teaches you how to RIDE, going in depth on riding position, turning, even riding passengers. It was very easy to read, with plenty of pics and technical information presented in a way that is easy to understand.

I recently did my first trackday on my old Superhawk (with stock suspension adjusted for me) and the info I got from this book allowed me to cleanup and ride circles around almost everyone. All because I read this book. Plus I am a safer rider now that I understand the techniques associated with motorcycling.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page