is that 'grease' they put on brand new chains ? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-17-2008, 1:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

is that 'grease' they put on brand new chains ?

i'm installing my sprocket/chain kit, and it looks like they put 'lithium grease' on new chains ....i get that chain wax 'fling' all over my rear tail section, even my mid fairings ....what ever they put on new chains in the packaging seems to be quite sticky, is it lithium grease ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-17-2008, 2:07 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: is that 'grease' they put on brand new chains ?

not sure what they put on there but clean it off and get some CHAIN WAX it's made by MAXXIS that stuff is awesome.. never any mess anywhere.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-17-2008, 4:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis View Post
not sure what they put on there but clean it off and get some CHAIN WAX it's made by MAXXIS that stuff is awesome.. never any mess anywhere.

that's what i use, still get the 'sling' ....anything over 100 mph slings garbage all over, even got some thrown all the way up onto the lower part of my gas tank....how, i'm not sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-17-2008, 4:45 AM

Reputation Power: 13

seems like ur driving right away, make sure you wipe the chain softly with a rag after u grease the chain and let it set for a while this might help
post #5 of 10 Old 06-17-2008, 4:19 PM

I was told by a bike techy that it is best to lube the chain straight after a ride while the chain was still warm, as it helps the lube to penetrate the links.
Trouble with that is, that by the time i'v got out of my lid etc & shaken the can the chain is cold
post #6 of 10 Old 06-17-2008, 4:38 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade929 View Post
that's what i use, still get the 'sling' ....anything over 100 mph slings garbage all over, even got some thrown all the way up onto the lower part of my gas tank....how, i'm not sure
happens to me too and I use PJ1 spary lube. I should probably check the back of left leg on my leathers cause it probably has some on it too if its managed to get that far up on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westie View Post
I was told by a bike techy that it is best to lube the chain straight after a ride while the chain was still warm, as it helps the lube to penetrate the links.
Trouble with that is, that by the time i'v got out of my lid etc & shaken the can the chain is cold
its still warmer than it was before the ride. if you really want it as hot as possible set the can of lube out before you go for the ride then when you get back in just rip your glove off and spray away before even taking the helmet off.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-17-2008, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
if you really want it as hot as possible set the can of lube out before you go for the ride then when you get back in just rip your glove off and spray away before even taking the helmet off.
You're way too smart for me man , & if the misses isn't with me, I could get her to start shaking the can when she hears me roarting down the road ..
post #8 of 10 Old 06-17-2008, 6:07 PM

Lithium grease is what is on a new bike's chain when you buy it. That stuff really sucks and it's not easy to get off.

I'd get some red shop towels (pep boys, autozone, etc) and just coat them down with WD40, to the point of being completely saturated. Put it in your hand, make a fist and run the chain through it several times, dry it, then do it again, dry again. It should be gone for good.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-17-2008, 6:10 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by westie View Post
You're way too smart for me man , & if the misses isn't with me, I could get her to start shaking the can when she hears me roarting down the road ..
oh man even better. now who's the smart one

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post
Lithium grease is what is on a new bike's chain when you buy it. That stuff really sucks and it's not easy to get off.

I'd get some red shop towels (pep boys, autozone, etc) and just coat them down with WD40, to the point of being completely saturated. Put it in your hand, make a fist and run the chain through it several times, dry it, then do it again, dry again. It should be gone for good.

I just run it with the stuff on it. eventually it'll all be gone. I figure its grease so its good for the chain.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2008, 4:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

actually , i like that stuff if that's what's on the new chains....i put over 1,100 miles on a new 07 ZX6rr with that lithium grease on it from the dealer, and the chain was still looking awesome and needed no lubing afterwards

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page