Electrical Problem with 2000 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-17-2008, 2:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Electrical Problem with 2000 929

Hello All I need some help and insight. Ill tell the story then you can all chime in and help me out.

3 WEEKS AGO:
I dropped my bike, shattered the stator cover and broke the stator. Got a new stator and stator cover off ebay. Here is where my first problem may lay, the stator that I bought is an aftermarket generic stator, it did not have the correct plug, nor did it have the goofy V shaped seal around the wires for where the wires go though the stator cover. So what i did was cut the wire coming out of the broken stator before the seal, then I spliced the wires into the new stator. Being that there are 3 wires I just kind of hooked them up in no particular order. Put oil back in the bike and it fired right up and ran no problem.

NOW:
So my bike is running fine, but I have a couple small issues.
1) My temperature gauge is now very sporadic in its readings. It will jump 5-10-15 degrees F at a time. It seems to be accurate, in that it is reading about the same temp. as it was before the accident. But its just annoying that it jumps around so much and I know that it should not be doing that.
2) Randomly I am getting a flickering MIL light. But only when Im on the throttle at higher RPM's (5K+). At first it seemed like a loose wire, because it was flickering and no other lights were coming on. But then last nite I was riding and it started happening again at around 45-50. So I grabbed the clutch, the revs went to idle and the light immediately stopped flickering. I re-engaged the clutch and it started to flicker again. So now I think it has something to do with the stator and maybe how I wired it??? Not sure. The one thing I dont want to do is just go out and buy another stator or whatever and keep throwing money at the problem. I want to try and figure this out and fix it.
On a side note, I have had no charging issues at all, I have been riding for the past 2 and half weeks with no problems or anything. Went on a couple longer rides and it has been fine. Its just this random MIL light and the temperature gauge that has been messing with me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Elisha
Attached Thumbnails
Stator.JPG‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-17-2008, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Re: Electrical Problem with 2000 929

ok so the part where you cut the stator and soldered the cables (u soldered them right?) is inside the stator cover? if so i dont think thats a good idea, oil comes all the way up when running so i maybe become in contact where the wires were cut. u didnt have to cut the wires in order to keep the rubber seal, u could had use some silicone to avoid oil spilling. my 2C
post #3 of 11 Old 06-18-2008, 12:36 PM

Reputation Power: 13

engine oil is non contactive,you can sink your computer motherboard in engine oil and keep working no prob!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-18-2008, 9:40 PM

mmmm did u noticed that hes asking for help with his bike? not asking for help with chemistry class, focus on the issue.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-19-2008, 8:30 AM

Reputation Power: 13

i just saved him the time and effort of doing what you suggested for nothing.
maybe you should focus on learning new things....even chemistry!

anyway,your problem looks like it could be a bad ground wire.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-19-2008, 8:41 AM Thread Starter

Alright. Leave it alone. Lets stay on Topic.

First of all you have both been a help. I did not solder the wires, but I did shrink tube them, then put some silicone around the wires to protect them from the oil.
I was worried that the oil would effect the wires, but clearly it will not.

Also, I did some more research and it looks like the orientation of the three wires coming off the stator does NOT matter. They all send the same signal.

Lasty, while riding last nite I found out another thing that is going on.
If I am riding at about 4K-4.5K-5K and the light starts to flicker, If I accelerate a decent amount, the light goes away. And the it is still true that if I get off the throttle and let the bike get back to idle the light goes away too.

So the problem seems to follow how much I am on the throttle. What does that thing?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-19-2008, 9:46 AM

Is it possible that when the bike got dropped the board in the gauge cluster got jolted or a connecter to the cluster got shook up? Sounds like a total seperate problem from the stator, check connections and grounds. I don't know how hard the bike hit but enough to break the cover and if the front end got jacked around there would possibly be a lot of impact there. Just an idea...had a car one time the board in the ECM was broke and would run great until certain temps or vibrations where it would act up then go back to running correct.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-19-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Thats what I thought too. I took the cluster off and even checked all the connections in the upper cowl. But everything was connected well. But what I think that I need to do is take all the fairings off and make sure everything is connected. But the only thing I dont get is why it goes away under acceleration or when the bike goes back to idle. That was perplexes me, if it was a loose wire I dont think it would be throttle dependent.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-19-2008, 1:08 PM

i had some of the same flickering problems on my 929, my low fuel light and tach flickered.my wire harness was rubbing on my rad cap,wore right through, i fixed it now no prob. my 2cents
post #10 of 11 Old 06-23-2008, 1:01 PM Thread Starter

Back to the top. Any input wold be nice.
Thank you
post #11 of 11 Old 07-11-2008, 2:46 AM

sorry it wasnt my intention to sound rude, it happened to me one time and a guy i was buying a part from told me that so i did it and it worked for me, maybe it doesnt work for everyone. so yeah as everyone says it might be a loose connection from the impact.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page