wont hold idle - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-20-2008, 2:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

wont hold idle

hey guys, im gona have to take it to a mechanic, but i thought that there is no harm in asking you guys. My bike is running real rich, over heating, and now, wont hold idle, it is ok if i keep the revs up above 3g, but if i let go of the throttle it just dies. i have been riding bikes since i was 4, but just starting to learn the mechanical side of it now.

some help would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-20-2008, 3:17 AM

Re: wont hold idle

I'd be surprised if you couldn't fix it with some carb tuning. How many miles does it have on it? Carb work isn't terribly complicated and the best way to learn is to do it yourself. Do you know anyone with more mechanical knowledge in your area? You'll save yourself a lot of future expenses if you learn it now, but if it needs to be rebuilt you may not be able to do it yourself. A mechanically inclined individual can fight through it alone the first time with the right technical publication such as the factory shop manual.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-21-2008, 4:26 AM Thread Starter

its got roughly 50,000km's on it... i have to cart it over to a friends place, who said he will fix it for me. the overheating, could it be anything other than the radiator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-21-2008, 6:21 AM

Your dilemma could be due to a number of things. Have you recently gone down in altitude of where you live, from a higher to lower elevation? Do you have a jet kit installed? An aftermarket pipe? Do you have a clean air filter element? New spark plugs? How old is the oil and oil filter? As far as overheating goes... could be a faulty thermostat or maybe your water pump went out... check the coolant level in the radiator and also note the color of the fluid. A blown head gasket may also cause overheating... look for frothy, milkshake-like oil in the crankcase and/or white smoke coming out the tailpipe, though a little bit upon warmup of the 900's is occassionally normal, excessive white smoke would indicate some good internal damage of something or other. Also, check for gas/petrol in your crankcase oil... if it's in there you'll definitly be able to smell it, and that could possibly be caused by gas/petrol entering the cylinders via the carbs = bad fuel petcock or bad needles in the carbs... or worn piston rings. Don't want to worry you, just some things for you to check when you have the time... start with the simplest things first and lets us all know what you discover so that we may help you. Take care and best of luck in your endeavor!

Chris : )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page