954 Issue(s) Help!? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-21-2008, 3:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

954 Issue(s) Help!?

Hi, everybody!

I have an 02 CBR954RR w/ approx 25k on it. All the maintenance has been followed per the manual. I don't ride it too hard, but I have pulled my fair share of wheelies. It's been down a couple times at low speed. It has a PCIII which has been dyno-tuned.

I'm having a couple issues and wanted to see if anyone has experience with them.

1) The bike HATES starting when it is hot out (90F+) and the bike is hot (200F+). Several times I have drained the battery trying to start it under these conditions. Usually happens riding through the desert on fuel stops. The bike runs perfect under these conditions, and starts normally in any other condition. I've had it looked over several times and nothing came about. As a side note, when I am in this situation, would you recommend twisting the throttle back and forth, holding it open, or not touching it?

2) When in neutral and stopped, something seems to catch in the transmission. I don't think it is the clutch. It feels like something connected to the motor clipping the gearbox for a split second. The RPMs drop, but the bike doesn't lurch forward or stall. I don't have any shifting problems, or dead gears. I suspect the problem is related to how I used to do power wheelies a lot. Any ideas as to the solution?

Any help or experience would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-21-2008, 4:52 PM
Administrator

Reputation Power: 47

Re: 954 Issue(s) Help!?

1) I wouldn't touch the throttle at all....it's fuel injected. If it still doesn't start, I'd look for pinched vent lines.

2) The rpm's dropping could be the HTEV rotating close.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #3 of 6 Old 06-21-2008, 5:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

i have the same starting issue and i think its PC3 related.. i usually try a combination of things from holding the throttle WO to clear it out, to just tapping the starter.. i found that it starts the best while twisting the throttle open & closed while tapping the starter..

now i only have this problem when restarting the bike after my 1st stop and turn it off to refuel,eat etc... it usually starts fine on the initial startup of the day, but after i turn it off after riding the 1st time it usually doesnt start right back up,,sometimes i even have to jump start it!

i have tried blipping the throttle before turning it off and turning it off from idle and neither way helped the restart. I think it's a fuel issue from the PC3 mapping.

03' Blk/Tit CBR 954rr, Erion full system, PCIIIr, Scott's Damper, Vortex Frame Sliders, Galfer SS Lines, Rear Seat Cowl, flapper pinned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-21-2008, 5:54 PM
Administrator

Any time there is a problem with the way a bike starts or runs, the first thing you should do is disconnect the PowerCommander if it has one...

post #5 of 6 Old 06-21-2008, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

if i remember correctly, i think my PC is connected under the tank and i'm not gonna pull off my damper, raise the tank, etc..while i'm at a fueling stop just to disconnect the PC to get it to restart.. my method may not be the correct way but it's been working and I'm able to ride, even if i have to occasionally jump start it, once its running its fine..

03' Blk/Tit CBR 954rr, Erion full system, PCIIIr, Scott's Damper, Vortex Frame Sliders, Galfer SS Lines, Rear Seat Cowl, flapper pinned.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Disconnect the PC and see if the problem continues. If not, the PC is the problem. Or, keep doing your starting rituals...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page