Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Whats difference between 929, 954, and 1000?

27K views 56 replies 22 participants last post by  ERION929 
#1 ·
I'm guessing that CC's, so why would they make 3 bikes so close? Are they year differences or something about the bikes or whats the difference? I have an RC51 but was thinking of getting an I4 and these bikes are what I'm interested in getting but don't know much about the differences.

#2 ·
World Superbikes went to the 1000cc limit so all the manufacturers had to produce a litre bike for that. They probably could have raced the 954 but why give yourself a capacity disadvantage right from the start.
929 was '00/'01, 954 was '02/'03 and the 1000RR is '04+.
929 and 954 are the same engine but the bikes themselves are quite different in some ways.

#29 ·
This is really helpful... I have a '02 954. The vin original model sticker thing on the left side of the bike frame says CBR900RR 2002. I checked with DMV. The bike is registered as a 954 as far as the VIN goes. Also, the motor on the right side says "HM 929cm" I asked the previous owner if he had swapped the motor, but apparently not. I'm a little confused. Still a noob sorry if this is frustrating, just want to get the story straight with the bike. Trying to learn all I can! :D

#7 ·
To summarise everything, they are totally different bikes - Each class has good and bad points

But overall the 954RR is the best :rotfl: - Ive probably started a huge war off now...
100% of 954 owners will agree.:rolleyes:

The engine sizes are different as far as displacement goes, and the numbers reflect accordingly.

As far as comfort goes, it's my understanding that the newer ones are less comfortable. So if you're old like Twincam, it's the way to go.

If you're more concerned about performance, get a 06+ 1000:poke:

#6 ·
Lol the biggest reason I ask is because I've seen some sweet bikes for sale on here that are the 929 and 954 but was wanting to know the difference in like engine size I guess but they are the same from what I now understand.

I'm just wanting something more streetable then the RC51 so with that in mind, which bike is more comfy for my fat arse to sit on? lol

#8 ·
If you find the RC51 is getting a little too uncomfortable for you, its probably adviseable to go for a 929 or a 954. I own a 08 blade. Its fantastic but the 929 or 954 is alot more roomy!!

Comfort 929/954.

Handling and performance 04 to 08 blades, ESPECIALLY the 08 model.

#9 ·
If you find the RC51 is getting a little too uncomfortable for you, its probably adviseable to go for a 929 or a 954. I own a 08 blade. Its fantastic but the 929 or 954 is alot more roomy!!

Comfort 929/954.

Handling and performance 04 to 08 blades, ESPECIALLY the 08 model.
Well right now I'm piecing my RC back together and thinking about having another bike for just around town for comfort and maybe the twisties but I think the RC is a blast in some twisties, so basically looking for something thats a little more ridable on the streets, the RC is a really stiff and jerky bike because of the tourq that thing has. lol

#11 ·
They're all great bikes. If you look around on this forum you'll find at least a few people who swear that their model is the best ever made, no matter which model it is. It's about personal preference.

The best advice I can give you is to take your time and don't settle. If you do that, you'll be in love with your bike and you won't be forced to lose $2000 every two years to upgrade to the newest model.

#13 ·
They're all great bikes. If you look around on this forum you'll find at least a few people who swear that their model is the best ever made, no matter which model it is. It's about personal preference.

The best advice I can give you is to take your time and don't settle.
Great Advice - :thumb:

Just because I say its great, doesn't mean it is.

#14 ·
#15 ·
The bottom one looks like a 954 ECU to me.
If the bike is a 929 the VIN will be an SC44 (929) but the engine number could be SC50 if it's had a 954 engine fitted.
If it has carburetors then it's pre-2000.

#16 ·
I have rode an RC51 many times. I dont see that its going to matter much comfort wise. Your still going to be cranked over in a deticated position just like the 51, the seat is a plank of wood just like the 51. If you want something to trip on, since you have the rc51 already and want an around town type bike. 919 is probably going to be more along the lines of comfort for a commuter bike your looking for. If you want a bike for long distance comfort, VFR is hard to go wrong on.

929, 954 and the 1k's are all nice bikes, I just dont see your riding position being more Comfortable, and you have the better bike for the mountains already. Its hard to beat the enjoyment of a twin in the mountains.

#18 ·
You have a US 2000 model CBR929RRY.
2001 would be JH2SC440-1M1xxxxx.
The Erion '01 is JH2SC443-1M1xxxxx.

#23 ·
I rode my 929 for 30 hours straight and I'm riddled with arthritis and broken bones :)
These things are only uncomfortable _compared_ to what you're used to.
I find my brother's VFR800 extremely uncomfortable but I've ridden sportsbikes all my life.

#24 ·
To clarify:
The 929 is 2000 and 2001 only and is model designation SC44.
The 954 is 2002 and 2003 only and is model designation SC50.
The digit after the SC44 or SC50 in the VIN (not the engine number) indicates a special model.
SC440 is the base model.
SC44A is Europe.
SC44B is Germany.
SC44C is France.
SC441 is Californian.
SC443 is the Erion.
SC444 is the Californian Erion.
The first digit after the hyphen is the model year.
Y indicates 2000 and then they went to numbers.
1 indicates 2001.
2 indicates 2002.
8 indicates 2008.
Not sure what they'll do when we hit 2010 though.

#28 ·
No worries :)
I really wish forums like these were around 25 years ago - sure would've saved me a lot of headaches :)

#34 ·
Blade, doesnt the engine casing say the volume?

Mine says 929 ccm.
Yep - on the right side of the cylinders.
The engine number will just confirm for him that he doesn't have the original SC50 engine.

#39 ·
As a 1krr owner, I have to say this, and I also be branded a traitor as well, but it's the truth...I still think the 954RR is the best looking of the bunch. Something about the way the headlights look is just really cool looking to me. Not that I would trade in the 1krr for anything.
I think I quite like the shape of the tank on the 954. Can't stand the tail but only because of the poor attempt to conceal the lower subframe rails. If I were into looks I'd cut those off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.