NEW CHAIN AND SPROCKETS - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 07-01-2008, 2:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

NEW CHAIN AND SPROCKETS

hi everyone, it`s nearly time to change, chain and sprockets, on my 95 fireblade 900RR, any advice on a new set?
i`ve read about a small front sprocket that would give you more speed. but it would put up ghost miles, any suggestions? or will i stick with standard?
and by the way....
what are about K&n air filters, are they worth it? apart of no need to replace them?

thanks to everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-01-2008, 4:43 PM

Re: NEW CHAIN AND SPROCKETS

I am about to change the sprocket/chain set-up on my 954. I am replaceing the 16/43 stock with a new Vortex 16/45 and a RK GB520GWX chain. Increasing teeth on the rear and taking teeth off the front sprockets will give the bike greater acceleration but less top speed.

Decreasing teeth in the rear and adding teeth in the front will increase top speed but will take away from the bikes acceleration.

I am uping my teeth in the rear because I take off in a hurry more often than I ride around at 200mph. In my opinion, Vortex is the best sprocket you can buy and RK is the best chain.
post #3 of 31 Old 07-01-2008, 5:14 PM

Vortex is some of the best sprockets , RK is a good chain and EK is also a good chain. Just going -1 in the front is the same as +3 in the rear. I'm -1 in the front and stock in the back. Thats acceleration and top end. I've lost bout 5-10mph off top speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 07-01-2008, 5:41 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Send a message via Yahoo to curt248

Diablo. What are you basing the idea that vortex are the best sprockets?

Have you used others and found them to last longer?

Most people seem to say vortex wear out much quicker than anodized afam.
post #5 of 31 Old 07-01-2008, 6:01 PM

I have a 98 blade and have gone down 1 on the front and up 1 on the rear and it has made a huge difference!!!!
I use renthal sprokets and have had no probs at all with them... plus they are alot ligher than standard 1's....
I also run a BMC race air filter and the engine defo breathes more easily and again it does make a difference especially if accompanied with an exhaust....
post #6 of 31 Old 07-01-2008, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt248 View Post
Diablo. What are you basing the idea that vortex are the best sprockets?

Have you used others and found them to last longer?

Most people seem to say vortex wear out much quicker than anodized afam.
I changed my stock sprock on my 600 F4 to a 48T Vortex and it was still like new when I sold the bike. I wasn't just impressed that the teeth stayed in good condition but the finish never tarnished. AND I KEPT IT OUTSIDE!

I'm no expert but Vortex and RK are all we run around here.
post #7 of 31 Old 07-01-2008, 8:58 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Follow this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AI T&viewitem=&item=330242218291

I had the stage 1 kit on my 929 for 25000 kms before it got nicked and only had to start adjusting the chain regularly around the 22k mark. I really couldn't fault it.
post #8 of 31 Old 07-01-2008, 9:15 PM

wow that link to the ebay auction has tons of info on sprockets, chain sizes and gearing.

I wonder where he got the information saying that a typical bike with a 530 chain will net a 5% increase in HP by changing to a 520 setup?

If that were the case, a 130hp stock 929 would get a 6.5 increase in HP (it would have to be rear wheel). I wonder if he also meant with a gearing change too (then for sure increase rwhp). If not, more people should be raving about the 520 setup. 6.5 HP is a pretty big increase. Especially if you consider that a full exhaust generally gives about 10HP.
post #9 of 31 Old 07-01-2008, 9:43 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighicks2980 View Post
Vortex is some of the best sprockets , RK is a good chain and EK is also a good chain. Just going -1 in the front is the same as +3 in the rear. I'm -1 in the front and stock in the back. Thats acceleration and top end. I've lost bout 5-10mph off top speed.
I just saw a vortex sprocket that i put on less than a year ago on a gixxer6, and that thing was missin more than half the teeth. I cant say that it was taken care of, but it was ridden by a female friend of mine and i know that she was not a biggie on maint. But still, ive seen dogged bikes that had worn sprockets with not one missing tooth. Cant say that i recommend Vortex. I like AFAM, and Stealth sprockets.
post #10 of 31 Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt248 View Post
wow that link to the ebay auction has tons of info on sprockets, chain sizes and gearing.

I wonder where he got the information saying that a typical bike with a 530 chain will net a 5% increase in HP by changing to a 520 setup?

If that were the case, a 130hp stock 929 would get a 6.5 increase in HP (it would have to be rear wheel). I wonder if he also meant with a gearing change too (then for sure increase rwhp). If not, more people should be raving about the 520 setup. 6.5 HP is a pretty big increase. Especially if you consider that a full exhaust generally gives about 10HP.
Weight loss, gearing change, tuning etc it all adds up. Just be sure to notice the bit about the stronger chain for 1000cc bikes as you don't want to pay the money and have it stretch straight away.

I'll be getting another stage 1 kit for the new 954 come changeover time.
post #11 of 31 Old 07-02-2008, 1:06 AM

I know it all adds up. My bike is nothing like it was before I started modding. The full exhaust, pcIII, accelerator pump mod, gutted airbox, 520 setup, +2 rear make it a completely different and way better bike.

With the exhaust, pcIII and accelerator pump my bike pulled on my friends bike like it was standing still. Before those mods, we were dead even.

Now I did the 520, gutted airbox, stock airfilter (from k and n) and +2 and it feels so much faster and pulls much harder than before. The last 4 mods made a more noticeable difference than the first 3.
post #12 of 31 Old 07-02-2008, 10:15 AM

Reputation Power: 14

i did the 520 conv. at 8,000 miles, -1 on the front and love the acceleration, definitly worth the slight loss in top end. as for vortex sprockets, i ran that set to 25,000 miles, or 17,000 miles total. just changed to a new set, -1/+1, and the wear on the sprockets was due to the chain stretch. i'm not saying they are the best, but i have no problem with them. as for the miles i got out of the chain, i personally will always run an RK GB520GXW. it has the highest tensile strength of all the top of the line chains, but i'm basing it off my personal experience.
post #13 of 31 Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

The RK is less than 2% stronger than the DID ERV3 because it's 12% heavier - which is a lot since the whole point of changing to 520 is the weight advantage. RK's 520 is even 4% heavier than DID's wider 525 ERV.
I'd guess I've probably used at least five or six ERV's now and they certainly aren't lacking in any way I've found.
I'd even be wondering if that extra weight doesn't put more stress on the chain itself to begin with - perhaps even more than the 2% extra strength covers?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #14 of 31 Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
The RK is less than 2% stronger than the DID ERV3 because it's 12% heavier - which is a lot since the whole point of changing to 520 is the weight advantage. RK's 520 is even 4% heavier than DID's wider 525 ERV.
I'd guess I've probably used at least five or six ERV's now and they certainly aren't lacking in any way I've found.
I'd even be wondering if that extra weight doesn't put more stress on the chain itself to begin with - perhaps even more than the 2% extra strength covers?
Point taken and I see your logic. However, the 520 conversion is about more than a weight difference. It's reduced heat, reduced friction, and reduced resistance in the drive system. This, in turn, creates greater torque and increased horsepower.

The RK is ideal for this because it offers all the above but still delivers the strength of a heavier chain (extra weight = extra strength).

If the extra weight bothers you that much then don't super size that next value meal and you'll make up for it . . . haha
post #15 of 31 Old 07-02-2008, 1:11 PM Thread Starter

thank you very much for your replys, really made me make up my mind, definatly going -1 +1.

but what about this ghost miles, isn`t the speed measured in the front sprocket?
thanks for the replys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page