chain adjustment - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 07-17-2008, 7:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

chain adjustment

hey all. new to the forum. need help adjusting (tightening) chain. suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-17-2008, 8:25 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: chain adjustment

Stand, wrenches(sockets) and a yardstick.
post #3 of 27 Old 07-17-2008, 9:12 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

dear lanbrown, actually, im not only new to the forum, but im also new to doing my own maintenance-other than changing the oil and filter myself. not sure of the process to tighten the chain, any other suggestions that might tell me how to do it other than, "stand, wrenches(sockets) and a yardstick."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 07-17-2008, 9:56 PM

Reputation Power: 17

http://70.85.12.34/~saf/chain_adjustment704k.wmv

Use the search function. This is a video posted up by a member on here that will go through the process. It's from this thread.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/art...ent-video.html
post #5 of 27 Old 07-17-2008, 10:12 PM

Reputation Power: 12

I always use a floor jack to get the height. Then I loosen the spindle nut,then you just turn the adjusters clockwise evenly with the marks on them to the right adjustment.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via Yahoo to curt248

You'll need a big socket. Mine is a 32mm on a 929. I tried it on my buddies 07 600rr and it's the same size on his too. You could get by with a big crescent wrench or pipe wrench or anything that opens big enough. This wrenches usually scratch up your axle bolt though.

The axle nut is on the right side

Just loosen it. You don't have to take it all the way off.

You don't need a stand either. It is nice but not necessary.

Look down near the axle and there will the chain adjuster. It has lines on the top and bottom for you to make both sides of the bike even.

Just loosen the chain adjuster nut a bit then turn the bolt whichever direction has it get longer (hence push the rear wheel back). I think these are 10mm or 12mm open ends for the bolt and the nut.

Don't adjust it too far. A little goes a long way. I'd say start with about a 1/2 a notch.

Do the same to the other side. Make sure they are both on the same alignment marks. That will ensure proper wheel alignment.

Check the slack in the chain. You'll need to find out what the manufacturer suggests. You could just call a honda dealer or ask someone here.

Once you have the slack correct tighten the chain adjuster nut. This locks the bolt into place. Do this on both sides.

Now tighten the giant axle nut. You'll need a torque wrench to get it perfect. The torque for my 929 is 72 ft/lbs i believe. It might be 78. For this you'll need to call the dealer or if you have a service manual it will be in there for sure. Oh yeah, buy a service manual or get a download from someone here. The cost is usually around $20 for the book or free for the download if someone is nice enough.

If you don't have a torque wrench handy, you could take a sharpie or other marker and mark the giant axle nut with a line that continues to the metal past it before you loosen it. If you do this, you can just match up the lines when you are done to get it to the same position it was before you loosened it.

It's really easy after you've done it once. I can adjust mine in a few minutes.

Last edited by curt248; 07-17-2008 at 10:29 PM.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Always check the chain tension again after re-tightening the axle.
And adjustment needs to be done at the tightest point in the chain.
After adjusting it rotate the wheel slowly checking the chain tension every few inches and loosen it off if you find any point tighter than the required tension.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 27 Old 07-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantratz View Post
dear lanbrown, actually, im not only new to the forum, but im also new to doing my own maintenance-other than changing the oil and filter myself. not sure of the process to tighten the chain, any other suggestions that might tell me how to do it other than, "stand, wrenches(sockets) and a yardstick."
Get a service manual. It will do you wonders:
http://www.helminc.com/
post #9 of 27 Old 07-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
Get a service manual. It will do you wonders:
http://www.helminc.com/

Are the helm manuals the same as the factory service manuals? Just wondering. I have a manual (that says it is a factory service manual) so don't need one. I've just always heard of the helm manuals and wasn't sure if they were the same thing.
post #10 of 27 Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
Are the helm manuals the same as the factory service manuals? Just wondering. I have a manual (that says it is a factory service manual) so don't need one. I've just always heard of the helm manuals and wasn't sure if they were the same thing.
For Honda yes. If you buy the manual from the dealer and the dealer order it from Honda, then you get the Helm manual. Most dealers just buy from Helm since they get the same manual. It probably reduces the chance that Hond ahas them on order and could increase the profit of the dealer; one less person in the middle.

Oh, look in your woners manual for the service manual. It should say that they are available from Helm.
post #11 of 27 Old 07-21-2008, 1:53 AM

hi all new to this site question should a new bikes chain develop slack after only 200 miles
post #12 of 27 Old 07-21-2008, 1:58 AM
Global Moderator

It generally stretches a little initially as it beds in but then it should stabilise pretty well.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #13 of 27 Old 07-21-2008, 2:16 AM

well it was enuf of a strech that when i made a left hand turn under power you could hear and feel the clunking
post #14 of 27 Old 07-21-2008, 2:18 AM
Global Moderator

Then check the tension and adjust it perhaps?

post #15 of 27 Old 07-21-2008, 2:24 AM

i was looking on other sties and some yahoo stated that if it does strech that soon then you might be breaking the bike in wrong , well im a first time rider , this is my first bike and im being very concious of that,ie varing my rpm and speed , not going over 6500 rpm untill i reach 600 miles clutching every gear and not boging the engine down in high gear ,gradual take offs ,but it is normal for it to strech that soon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page