my 900rr stops on idle...any idea - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-18-2008, 9:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

my 900rr stops on idle...any idea

my baby runs absolutly fine on high speed, the temp usually under 190F. but when i slow down and keep the bike on idle.....the engine runs well too until it reaches 217F. But after that i feel the sound flow from the exuast is not smooth......finally it stops. I feel when it is on idle the fuel flow is no good or may be there is a problem with the carb....no idea...confused.

Before it stops the tracometer pointer struggles.

Radiator fan on my bike kicks in at around 220F.

U guys got any idea whats going on with my baby.
I appreciate ur help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-20-2008, 6:58 PM Thread Starter

Re: my 900rr stops on idle...any idea

I tried to start my bike after 2 days......it did not start. after few tries the battery died. Dont know guys whats going on with my bike. I charged battery just a week ago.

Already have other problems with the bike and now this. So frustrating. Cant take it for service as here they charge $75 an hour. And cant do it myself as I can ride but have no idea with the repair stuff.

Any input guys......would appreciate ur help.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-21-2008, 6:00 AM

Reputation Power: 13

does your bike runs better on colder days? sounds like ur bike is running kinda rich check your air filter then go down to the carbs clean and adjust mixture correctly.

I can't be sure why ur bike won't start have you tried to push start it ? maybe ur plugs are getting fouled as well I'd check that I usually cleanthe tip with a fine sandpaper and set it to 0.9mm.

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-22-2008, 2:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanx Kiai for your reply.

Today my bike started with a jumper. Went for a small ride came back and kept it on idle....was fine until the temp reached 220F.......but after that the RPM meter pointer started to be unstable.....and it stopped. It did not start after that.

As it started so I dont think there would be a problem with the spark plugs.

I think first I have to do is change the battery and then go for new air filter as said by Kaia.

I have to go through the service manual to change the filter and and will also do the oil change.

This is the first time I am doing the repair stuff on a bike like this .......bit worried hope everything comes out fine.

Any input guys.....thanks
post #5 of 21 Old 07-22-2008, 3:13 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Do a service on her - its very easy budd, take the tank off and you will see it like opening the hood of yr car.
Plugs can get fouled or cracked and do strange things so eliminate that for starters, check each one to see if they are clean. While you have her open change the oil. If there is a filtre in line you might want to change it also.
What does she normally idle at ? - if its starts dropping when warmed up - turn it up slightly and see if it still dies. Good luck.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-22-2008, 10:45 AM

just check the plugs and the air filter and adjust your carb as I said it sounds like it runs rich tho when it heats up it gets even worse to it struggles.

just do a service and you might find new stuff to learn on your way down there
post #7 of 21 Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Reputation Power: 16

before you get too serious just try turning the idle up, do you know how to do this?
post #8 of 21 Old 07-22-2008, 2:12 PM

if it idles fine when it's cold I doubt he set it too low tho but give it a try it should be somewhere close to 1000RPM +- 100

it's simple as that if it roughly idles when cold and getts better when hot it's a bit lean if it fine when cold and roughs up as it heats it's rich

of course in both cases you need to give it like 15 secs to warm up first or else it will die.

anyway he mostly got his air filter clogged and whenit heats up it gets richer as hot air have less oxygen so it struggles to stay alive

anyway as I said he should just do the normal service checking everything on his way start with basic stuff like ur idle screw spark plugs then go down to air filter and the carbs starting with your mixture screws and your jet sizes and then check if they are out of sync etc...
post #9 of 21 Old 07-24-2008, 2:14 AM Thread Starter

thanx guys for ur replies.

two days I couldnt work on her.....work and bad weather.
Today I took off the tank and air filter. Air filter looks not that bad, half of it looks clean other half is black with lots of grease on it. I saw some oil sticking all over the inside of the filter box. What you guys think....do I have to change the filter?

One more thing which is the esay way to acces the spark plugs? Last time I tried it from the sides...it worked out for three but the fourth one on ride side is hard to reach. From the top its way to difficult becuz of the plastic covering it. I tried to remove the plastic last time but it took hell of a time to put it back.

Kiai...its runs fine on colder days. Last time when it started I set the idle on 1500 RPM but died when the temp reached 220F. Before it used to be on 1100RPM. Now the battery is dead..will try to recharge it and if its no good then go for new one.

Charles486....I just learned about the idle switch few days ago......lol....

I really appreciate ur help guys........
post #10 of 21 Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMP View Post
thanx guys for ur replies.

two days I couldnt work on her.....work and bad weather.
Today I took off the tank and air filter. Air filter looks not that bad, half of it looks clean other half is black with lots of grease on it. I saw some oil sticking all over the inside of the filter box. What you guys think....do I have to change the filter?

One more thing which is the esay way to acces the spark plugs? Last time I tried it from the sides...it worked out for three but the fourth one on ride side is hard to reach. From the top its way to difficult becuz of the plastic covering it. I tried to remove the plastic last time but it took hell of a time to put it back.

Kiai...its runs fine on colder days. Last time when it started I set the idle on 1500 RPM but died when the temp reached 220F. Before it used to be on 1100RPM. Now the battery is dead..will try to recharge it and if its no good then go for new one.

Charles486....I just learned about the idle switch few days ago......lol....

I really appreciate ur help guys........
Yes, change the air filter

When i change my plugs i take off the tank/filter/rubber covers and go in from the top.

Change your filter and plugs then give us an update
post #11 of 21 Old 07-24-2008, 4:50 PM

Reputation Power: 12

While you're at it, make sure your battery is charging properly. If your stator or rectifier isn't doing it's job, the battery might not be able to run the engine and cooling fan all at the same time. I had an old Honda car that would die at idle under those conditions.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-25-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

today was not that gud day with the repair guys. I was with her....whole day. I went ot the store t buy air filter..damn they dont have it in stock......but the guy who works over there suggested me to clean the air filter the one I have with some liquid and compressed air duster. I cleaned it....came out good...not like brand new....seems fine.

I couldnt work on the spark plugs as the tool was missing from my tool box. Will try to get one from the store tommorow.

Though I tried to start the bike with a jump starter....it did not start. Battery is completly dead.
What kind of batery u all use on your bikes? The one I have is GTX9-BS. I treid to search online.....but couldnt find same kind of battery.

Bonham....where to find stator and rectifier on 900rr?

thanx
post #13 of 21 Old 07-25-2008, 1:05 AM Thread Starter

I just found one online......battery........its costs $58.95. Seems exactly like mine but not sure about the dimensions....have to check.

I will copy paste the link for the battery...what u guys think?

Delco GTX9-BS Motorcycle Battery - Delco Motorcycle Batteries
post #14 of 21 Old 07-25-2008, 1:16 AM

Probably was just a bad cell in the battery so it wasn't taking a charge. It will die at idle too when the stator is putting out minimal. I'd get a new battery, charge it overnight and your problem will probably be gone.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-25-2008, 2:38 AM
EEK

The charging system on a bike doesn’t charge when bike idles and it sounds like your battery is also shot so if there is no power the bike will stop on idling so bad battery with limited charge and the fan kicks in pulls the last power out the battery and wham bike dies.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page