gearshift problems - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

gearshift problems

Hi guys,

Alittle help if possible, just sifting through the serach function as i go!

Just tried to take the RRY 2001 out for a blast and suddenly found i cant get above 2nd gear!!!!! VERY clunky going into gear and easy to find neutral rather than 2nd when trying to shift up. Wont go above 2nd atall.

Feels like the gear pedal is not returning properly after a shift. The chain is due to be replaced and is pretty much at the end of its life but is a loose chain likely to be the sole cause or is it a dreaed gearbox issue?? Bike has 10k on the clock and is otherwise mint. Should say that it felt alittle clunky last time i used it but never any problem like this and now after 8 weeks of no use instant issues! Any help much appreciated before i haul it down to the local indy bike shop.

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: gearshift problems

have you dropped ur bike first thing check the left peg and pedal holder and check the shift rod if it's stuck with something basically the sidestand screws if it's just fix the holder or the rod for free movement I know it sounds weird but I've seen it before just check the gear shift pedal and make sure everything is moving freely
post #3 of 5 Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

I cannot imagine the chain or sprockets (I assume you will be changing both) interfering with shift operations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2008, 10:48 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbzorro View Post
I cannot imagine the chain or sprockets (I assume you will be changing both) interfering with shift operations
chain slack can make your shifts feel clunky or weird if it's too tight or loose but won't stop u from shifting up above 2nd
post #5 of 5 Old 07-20-2008, 3:03 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Cheers guys,

Bike not dropped and nothing stuck. have tightened chain but needs replacing as now showing on the red mark on the slider. Bike now can get higher gears but not atall happy doing so and much louder clunk going into first from neutral. Have indy bike shop close by so will have to ask to replace chain/sprockets anyway and investigate. Really hoping its nothing terminal to the gearbox as that i'm guessing would not be cheap! Are there any common faults with the 929 box? Its never jumped out of 2nd like some report but maybe some component is worn internally for the shifting?

Cheers for the suggestions so far!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page