installed ape cct still knocks - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-21-2008, 5:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

installed ape cct still knocks

howdy. i got a 2003 954rr. bought it with a engine knock. finally got my APE manual cct installed the other day. i played with the adjustment today for hours. adjusted all the way in half turn increments from fully tight to where the motor would turn over but not start to all the way loose where i could spin the cct with my fingers. when i first installed it i started with the 1/4" to 3/8" slack like it said on the instructions. but she still knocks. not at idle, but starts knocking with a lil throttle and gets worse with more rpm. it starts up fine and it sounds like the knock is coming from the top of the motor. need some advice. you think maybe now the valves just need to be adjusted? or could it be a rod bearing. thanks in advance. oh and no matter how i adjusted it the knock always sounded the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-21-2008, 6:51 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: installed ape cct still knocks

Well, whether you use the OEM tensioner or a manual one a badly worn chain is still going to be a badly worn chain so I wouldn't expect it to sound significantly different.
Get a tube or stethoscope and listen all around the engine to try to isolate the sound.
Also, an oil pressure test should tell you if it's a main or bigend bearing and a compression test might indicate a top end problem.
Dumping the oil will tell you if there's any metal floating around.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 07-22-2008, 2:36 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

i took her for a test run. hauls ass. the knock goes away around 6k rpm. i've been reading that when the knock goes away like that, its the cct, but i've also read that the 954 sounds like that. i dont know just doesnt sound healthy. guess i'll check the valve clearance n if thats good.........run her till shes blows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-22-2008, 2:50 PM

Reputation Power: 14

mmmm sounds bad. U dont need a tube or stethiscope. Use a long screwdriver press yr ear on the handle and touch the engine, it has the same effect you will hear the metalic scraping better. Was there any mechanical stuff done to either the head or motor?.
How many miles.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-22-2008, 9:33 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

The screwdriver works as well but I find the rigidity can make it difficult to get into some places so I prefer a stethescope with a probe. Also, hold a heavy rag bundle over the muffler outlet so you can hear a whole lot better.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page