Is The '08 CBR1000 Any Good?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 92 Old 07-23-2008, 4:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Is The '08 CBR1000 Any Good??

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been trying to learn as much as I can about the '08 blade from sites like this and every bike rag I can get my hands on. I'm in the market for a new literbike and the '08 Blade was on the top of my list. With weight and handling like a 600 and explosive midrange power, this looked like the bike to beat for '08. After doing a lot of research, I'm not so sure. I can live with the looks of the bike, not the prettiest face in town but OK from most angles. Where I lose it is when I hear about all the serious and not so serious flaws in this machine. Let's see, crap paint job, burned exhaust paint( turns white), high oil consumption, smoking exhaust on downshifts, notchy gearbox that hangs up on the first to second upshift, flighty suspension bits, overall poor build quality. These are just a few of the problems I've learned about from hanging around sites like this. I have had only one other Honda before and that is my '04 VTX1300C. It has been a decent bike and reliable but it has always sounded like the transmission was full of rocks at idle. It's probably just excess backlash in the primary gears but this kind of thing takes a lot of joy out of ownership and I have to say I'm not at all impressed with Honda of late. My '06 Kawasaki ZX-14 by contrast has been wonderful to own, excellent build quality, immense power and just a really sweet ride.

Kruz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 07-23-2008, 4:57 PM

Re: Is The '08 CBR1000 Any Good??

I've had my '08 for a couple of months now, and I'm right around 1400 (all pleasure) miles. I'm going to address my experience with the commonly stated problems point by point.

- crap paint job

With the exception of the spot my jacket rubs on the tank cover, my bike looks brand new, despite being ridden through a lot of rain, hail, dirt and sand.

- burned exhaust paint( turns white)

My exhaust hasn't exhibited any change in color.

- high oil consumption

No problems here, either.

- smoking exhaust on downshifts

The only time I get anything visible coming out of the exhaust is during the first warm-up cycle of the day, which is simply the automatic choke doing its job. These last two items could be caused by a less than perfect break-in, which may have left the rings poorly seated.

- notchy gearbox that hangs up on the first to second upshift

My gearbox has performed flawlessly. All of my motorcycles have had a small hang up on first to second, I like to call it neutral.

- flighty suspension bits

No problems here either. It's the most predictable and stable motorcycle I've ever ridden.

- overall poor build quality.

I respectfully disagree with this as well. The bike is rock solid inside and out. My only complaint is that I can't ride it all day, every day. Oh, and the tool kit is a joke.

I would strongly recommend this bike to anyone thinking about this class of machine. Some items I wasn't expecting but really enjoy:

- Fuel consumption computer. Tells you your average miles-per-gallon and how much fuel you've consumed, including your reserve, in 0.1 gallon increments.

- Slipper clutch. I didn't know anything about them when I picked up the bike, but I've found it to be extremely forgiving. I needed to re-learn how to launch.

- Tank cover. It has these really great squishy portions for your knees. You can just give your bike a hug and go nuts with the throttle.

- Large turn signal indicators. So far, I have yet to drive down the road with my blinker on inappropriately.

Have fun with your bike shopping!
post #3 of 92 Old 07-23-2008, 5:23 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I'd like to second bonhams response Kruz, I have a candy red 08 Fireblade and I'm happier with this bike than any bike I've every owned. I've admittedly only just run it in but in that time frame I've had no problems. It handles like an absolute dream, the paint job is stunning and the build very good.

Suspension is stable as you could ever ask for an on top of that the bike is simply put FAST. It stops well too. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

If I could ride it all day every day - I would too :-)

Oh - the neutral problem, it's a small price to pay for a bike that is pure genius. And it only happens once a day when you forget to tap home to second hard enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 92 Old 07-23-2008, 5:32 PM

go and test ride the bike. if you do, the next time we see back on this forum you'll be an owner.
post #5 of 92 Old 07-24-2008, 5:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonham View Post
I've had my '08 for a couple of months now, and I'm right around 1400 (all pleasure) miles. I'm going to address my experience with the commonly stated problems point by point.

- crap paint job

With the exception of the spot my jacket rubs on the tank cover, my bike looks brand new, despite being ridden through a lot of rain, hail, dirt and sand.

- burned exhaust paint( turns white)

My exhaust hasn't exhibited any change in color.

- high oil consumption

No problems here, either.

- smoking exhaust on downshifts

The only time I get anything visible coming out of the exhaust is during the first warm-up cycle of the day, which is simply the automatic choke doing its job. These last two items could be caused by a less than perfect break-in, which may have left the rings poorly seated.

- notchy gearbox that hangs up on the first to second upshift

My gearbox has performed flawlessly. All of my motorcycles have had a small hang up on first to second, I like to call it neutral.

- flighty suspension bits

No problems here either. It's the most predictable and stable motorcycle I've ever ridden.

- overall poor build quality.

I respectfully disagree with this as well. The bike is rock solid inside and out. My only complaint is that I can't ride it all day, every day. Oh, and the tool kit is a joke.

I would strongly recommend this bike to anyone thinking about this class of machine. Some items I wasn't expecting but really enjoy:

- Fuel consumption computer. Tells you your average miles-per-gallon and how much fuel you've consumed, including your reserve, in 0.1 gallon increments.

- Slipper clutch. I didn't know anything about them when I picked up the bike, but I've found it to be extremely forgiving. I needed to re-learn how to launch.

- Tank cover. It has these really great squishy portions for your knees. You can just give your bike a hug and go nuts with the throttle.

- Large turn signal indicators. So far, I have yet to drive down the road with my blinker on inappropriately.

Have fun with your bike shopping!
Hello Again,

I have included a link for a thread on this forum where apparently more than a few owners are having high oil consumption issues with their new blade.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...-2008-oil.html

Cheers!

Kruz
post #6 of 92 Old 07-24-2008, 5:59 PM

Uk bike 2000 miles LOVE IT best bike i have ever owned inc every model R1 to date no probs except white on pipe (so what).Buy it mate
post #7 of 92 Old 07-24-2008, 5:59 PM

Reputation Power: 37

All the new bikes are great.. The 08 blade does seem to be having alot of issues.. Its sometimes common with new model designs.. I would suggest waiting until the 09 blade is released so Honda can fix some of the minor problems.. I have almost 8000 miles on my 08 and have had alot of issues.. Its in the shop right now because of the charging system.. I have had buring oil issues, the clear coat is crap and most 08 owners will admit this, the exhaust whitening issue is on all of them but doesn't show up until more miles are put on the bikes.. But it is a great bike, Honda will clean up most of the issues for the 09 model..

Last edited by Maholli; 07-24-2008 at 6:11 PM.
post #9 of 92 Old 07-24-2008, 8:49 PM

I can agree with the looks of the new 1000. I have to say if I were to buy a bike on looks I'd of picked the GSXR. That being said ...I'm a performance guy. My bike is too new to see the long term effects...hopefully all goes well. I paint for a living so I'm not worried about that part of it. Seriously... a ZX-14? That thing is a pig! Who wants to haul around an extra 150 lbs? Thats like having a person on the back all the time right? And a not so small one at that!
post #10 of 92 Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 PM

Reputation Power: 37

I have posted this chart in alot of other threads.. It has the performance numbers of all the bikes.. They are all so close..

Click image for larger version

Name:	cbr.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	30922
post #11 of 92 Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 PM

I read that issue. The only problem I have, is 2 months ago the same magazine (I think cycle world) ranked cbr as #2 running a 9.76 I think in the quarter. Its almost like they are paid to make certain bikes perform better certain months. Why would they keep contradicting themselves? I know they are all close, and the bottom line is the bike is only about 20 % of the equation. The rider accounts for the other 80 %. The rest is personal preference.
post #12 of 92 Old 07-25-2008, 5:52 AM

Reputation Power: 0

...personal taste... good point. having been a Bueller for years before buying my first blade (The '08) I have to say the very fist thing that attracted me to the bike was it's looks.. I think it is a mean, sleak, beautiful looking machine.....

Then when I started researching it through articles and so on and eventually test rode it - I was hooked.

I don't care what an R1 rides like (which IMHO is the only contender looks wise) - the blade for me is the best looking bike out there this year and that - was that.

I'm no Moto GP rider either so if it's got 5 bhp less that a gixxer thou I don;t think it will affect me too much..

BUY IT! You won't regret it!
post #13 of 92 Old 07-25-2008, 6:11 AM

Reputation Power: 41

Yep, my bike has white marks on the exhaust, but NO other reported problems.

Fit and finish is brilliant. I admit I do pamper the thing, but hey that's me.

Ride wise, I would say she is almost perfect.

I could stand and look at her all day ( when not riding ). Regardless of what any rag/press say, I think the new Blade is achingly good looking.

All you really need is a tail tidy, and take the pegs off if you don't have a pillion. If you're lucky enough to be able to get the Pearl White/Black, this is what you get in your garage.

http://www.awooga.org/images/3fdeltbm0rz7bktvgs8e.jpg
post #14 of 92 Old 07-25-2008, 6:50 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Send a message via MSN to sb1000rr

i traded my 08 gixxer 1000 in for my blade and luv it, only issue i have is notchy gearbox, other than that perfect........
post #15 of 92 Old 07-25-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatty View Post
Yep, my bike has white marks on the exhaust, but NO other reported problems.

Fit and finish is brilliant. I admit I do pamper the thing, but hey that's me.

Ride wise, I would say she is almost perfect.

I could stand and look at her all day ( when not riding ). Regardless of what any rag/press say, I think the new Blade is achingly good looking.

All you really need is a tail tidy, and take the pegs off if you don't have a pillion. If you're lucky enough to be able to get the Pearl White/Black, this is what you get in your garage.

http://www.awooga.org/images/3fdeltbm0rz7bktvgs8e.jpg

Also, Way better than the R1 and no notchy gearbox on mine its like silk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page