98 RR sputters after top speed run. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-24-2008, 6:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

98 RR sputters after top speed run.

Well to update anyone on my last problem i thought the 98 900rr came with a 4.9 gallon tank, I ran out of gas in the middle of no where with 160 miles on 3 gallons, so I guess that solves that mystery. On to the new one. I've been told that when you hear popping and crackling out of you're exhaust on decel that your bike may be running lean. I have a D and D on my bike but i'm not sure if it is jetted. After hard acceleration through a few gears, if i let off the gas for a second then give it a little bit more it really sputters hard before picking back up again. I am wondering if this is a jetting problem, or if i'm just emptying out the bowls when i accelerate hard like that. I hear the popping and crackling out of my can when i decel, but after a 1000 miles on new plugs they still look perfect with no signs of any sort of pre-detenation or carbon fouling. Any help is apprcieated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-24-2008, 9:18 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Re: 98 RR sputters after top speed run.

I just sold my 98. Had a two bros full exhaust system. Personally I think you need more fuel. The pipe you have is making it leaner. Maybe order a dyno jet stage 1 jet kit for it. Not too bad to change.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-24-2008, 9:21 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Yeah i suppose you're right, when i have time i'll take the covers off the carbs and try to see if i can see the jet sizes stamped on them to see what i'm running, and if it's stock i'll get the jet kit. I just needed to rationalize it in my head to spend more money to make the fast bike even faster. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-24-2008, 9:30 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Either that, or put back on the stock exhaust. My buddy has been fooling with his 98 carbs for a year now. He's getting 130 miles to a tank as well. He has the stage one kit. Hes been tinkering with the clip position and trying to sync them. I had good luck. Mine ran really well, but you could be opening up a can as well. I'm finding pipes aren't really all their cracked up to be. They are expensive, and they really don't account for that much extra power. Maybe a couple of horse? Anyway just some food for thought.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-26-2008, 4:00 AM

Reputation Power: 14

or one of the vacuum hoses on your bike may be loose or damaged as well

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page