Someone else's stupidity or my own ignorance? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Someone else's stupidity or my own ignorance?

So I traded my quad for a 01 929 with 12k miles on it. I also own a 01 RC51. I spent 30 mins looking it over before I made my decision. He has laid it down and it was apparent that the stator cover was leaking oil. It is a great looking bike (aside from the plastic) so I decided to do it. I just got around to replacing the stator cover and the gasket only to find they R-tard never told me he smeared JB weld on the lower enging casting to plug a hairline crack. I can only assume this crack was caused by his lowside. Anyway I am fecking furious, what a douche. Does anyone know if you can weld cast aluminum? That is what I am going to try especially since the crack is no bigger than a strand of hair. FECK. The further i get into this bike the more i see what an idiot this guy is. Instead of replacing a missing bolt with a honda part, he gets some bolt he has laying around and uses that. Some more background on this A-hole. So he lowsided and pinched the front wire harness somewhere. Anyway the headlights quit working, so instead of trying to fix the problem he goes to the hardware store and buys a foglight, mounts it to the left mirror and runs to wires directly to the battery, then drills a hole in the side fairing to mount a switch. ARE YOU FECKING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!! If you can't spend the time or the money to maintain these kick ass pieces of art then don't buy them in the first place. Sorry to vent. Anyone else have a similar problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Re: Someone else's stupidity or my own ignorance?

Lucky for me I have not had those types of issue to deal with.

I think there have been a number of threads where people have fixed cracks where yours is. Some used JB Weld successfully, others just used Hondaseal, I think. Try a search.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Reputation Power: 14

u did save a few quid though
never take a deal on face value ....lesson 1.

Some people are just plain Dumb they dont attempt to do things right, u might want to strip her and see what else he has done, maybe cardboard for the brake pads.

Last edited by MCR001; 07-28-2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Yes, you should be able to weld it or use one of the epoxies like JB-Weld.
As for replacing a bolt with an OEM bolt - say what?
I have a _lot_ of bikes and even more bike parts so I have a huge supply of OEM bolts in all shapes and sizes but I replace most bolts with stainless or aluminium socket heads the first time I remove something.
If _you_ want an OEM bolt I'm sure you're capable of ordering one...

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 8 Old 07-28-2008, 1:16 PM

Reputation Power: 0

not for nothing but did you not somehow notice the fog light/mirror conversion before you rode the bike home?? sounds like you have some work cut out for you...but really those things you listed are all easy fixes if you take the time to do it
post #6 of 8 Old 07-28-2008, 1:27 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 12

Yeah, i'm really only pissed about the hidden crack in the block. The headlight thing is just funny. What I didn't think to look at was the front wiring harness. The fool cut off the light sockets that were crimped to the harness. Why, I ask you why would you cut any wires on a factory wire harness. This is my second bike rebuild and i am slowly learning what to look for. It just blows my mind with some of the stuff I see. One of the things that you always take a chance on, is what the engine internals look like. You are always taking the chance that they at least knew enough to keep the right kind of oil in the bike.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-28-2008, 1:41 PM

Reputation Power: 0

My first bike was a 97 katana with alot of the same problems plus alot more.....that bike was a total abortion when i got it...some time and alittle money and some soldering skill fixed it all though.....good luck with your project
post #8 of 8 Old 07-28-2008, 2:42 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Dude you gotta bike that is worth somethin, stop whinning, and have fun fixin it. It was your choice. Post some pics and have fun. they sound like pretty easy fixes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page