Broke the key in my 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-28-2008, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Broke the key in my 929

Yesterday while riding I snapped the (only) key to my '00 929 in the gas cap. I was able to pull the piece out, jam it in my ignition and make it home, but that was the only key I had and it's an aftermarket with no codes on it. What's the best way to get a new key made? I've read that I need a code off the bike somewhere, is it on the ignition switch itself? Could calling a Honda dealer help? I bought the bike used and have no idea where it came from originally. Or would a locksmith be my best bet?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Broke the key in my 929

Any decent locksmith should be able to cut a new key to fit the lock.
He'd probably rather work on the lock only rather than the whole bike but ask first.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 07-28-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Thanks for the info. I called the dealer and they referred me to a local locksmith that does all their work. I spoke with the guy and he says that he can make a new key from the two pieces of the old one. Now I hope I can get the piece out of the ignition!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

I did that for an EX250 a couple of years ago :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 5 Old 07-28-2008, 7:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Thats a bummer man.....when I first got my 929 on the rode over a month ago.....the first ride I took to the gas station...filled up and went to flip the gas cap down and bent the key 90 degrees.......took about 15 minutes of fiddling with it to get it straight enough to get in the ignition.....it now has a twist in the middle of the key.....and it my only one.....I can get the blanks from honda....and they directed me to a locksmith....so will be doing that route and getting a few made just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkychew View Post
Yesterday while riding I snapped the (only) key to my '00 929 in the gas cap. I was able to pull the piece out, jam it in my ignition and make it home, but that was the only key I had and it's an aftermarket with no codes on it. What's the best way to get a new key made? I've read that I need a code off the bike somewhere, is it on the ignition switch itself? Could calling a Honda dealer help? I bought the bike used and have no idea where it came from originally. Or would a locksmith be my best bet?

Thanks in advance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page