08 Blade - Checking the oil level - Humour me... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 08-10-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

08 Blade - Checking the oil level - Humour me...

Hiya chaps,

The Dilemma I have is one of a peculiar nature and one that until I can contact the dealer tomorrow is a bit scary.

I went out on the bike yesterday and had a good few hours of fast riding (will not disclose speeds or places) and when I got home I decided to clean the bike and check a few things out just as a matter of course but this time I decided to check the oil (have not previously because it had not long had its service (600 mile) but having put a good few miles on it yesterday (about 400) and the fact that it has not been hammered before this has spurned me into starting the regular checks.

Now I am used to bikes with either sight glasses or dip sticks and never had a problem checking oil levels before, but yesterday I kind of came a cropper.

After trying my way, which is not much different to the book, I resorted to checking the manual and doing it exactly as it says in there and each time I pull the dipstick out its bone dry, I dont mean a little oil on it I mean BONE dry. What am I doing wrong or could it be that 700 miles after a service I have used all my oil????

I get no problems starting it and the oil pressure light goes out right as I start the bike as you would expect and had no adverse noises or problems with the bike so once again what am I doing wrong?

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 08-10-2008, 1:28 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: 08 Blade - Checking the oil level - Humour me...

Is the bike straight up? All of my Hondas spec it to be checked straight up. The RR shows empty in the site glass on the stand and right between the lines standing up.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #3 of 45 Old 08-10-2008, 1:40 PM Thread Starter

Sheepofblue: yep regardless of the manual I always check it totally upright and on level ground (using a paddock stand would just push all the oil to the front anyway) like I say I followed the manual to the letter.

Run the engine for 3-5 minutes and then stand the bike upright and leave for 2-3 minutes before pulling out the dipstick wipe it and put it back in (without screwing it in), leave it for varying times be that 1 second to 2 minutes in there and pull it out, each time it came out dry.

I do not want to fill it up with oil just in case I am doing something wrong and it requires the engine to be emptied because it has too much oil in so I am erring on the side of caution before making a decision to put some more in.

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 08-10-2008, 1:47 PM

Hi m8 i think that your not on your own with this particular problem, i have found putting the bike on both stands, and check from there, run bike for about 3-4 mins take stick out and clean, then push stick back in , but dont screw, should get a proper, reading from their, mine at the mo i suspect is using oil and is been monitered via dealer, red my posts
cheers corona
post #5 of 45 Old 08-10-2008, 3:54 PM

Reputation Power: 12

08 blades are also notorious for burning up to a liter of oil for 1000mi. If you are really paranoid about it, drain the oil and measure it in a old oil jug that has marks on it.
post #6 of 45 Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 PM

Let it sit for much longer than 2 minutes before checking. I usually stand the bike up and wait a couple of hours before checking it, allowing all of the oil to run back into the pan. Keep in mind that you'll never get out of the engine all of the oil you put into it. A signficant amount is absorbed into the filter.
post #7 of 45 Old 08-10-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil R View Post
08 blades are also notorious for burning up to a liter of oil for 1000mi. If you are really paranoid about it, drain the oil and measure it in a old oil jug that has marks on it.
Notorious? Also draining and measuring will only work if you measure before and after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonham View Post
I usually stand the bike up and wait a couple of hours before checking it, allowing all of the oil to run back into the pan.
That is not the method that Honda has dictated.
post #8 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 1:55 AM

Notorious. Ive seen it as a common complaint of the new blades burning oil, but some also say that theirs burn no oil at all, seems to be a hit or miss from bike to bike.
post #9 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 3:52 AM

Reputation Power: 15

You dipstick Russ.

Sorry mate but i had the need to write that.

hee
post #10 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 5:16 AM Thread Starter

lol stu, thanks all I have spoken to my dealership and I have a lemon as they say, I am one of the many that have the problem of oil burning quicker that I can put it in there.

They said the same as I already knew from various sources that the motor is "desgined" to burn 1ml per mile = 100ml for 100 miles = 1000ml for 1000 miles and so on and so forth.

My problem with this and what I have insisted be taken up with Honda UK by the dealer as well as me personally contacting them is why if it is designed is it only certain bikes that burn oil like this and not all bikes which others on here and other forums have stated they have not got that problem.

My other concern is that if the bike only holds 3.5 litres of oil maximum then if over 4000 miles you have replaced 4 litres of oil what is the point of doing an oil change at the service interval. I understand for shavings and what not but surely if you are replenishing the oil then they must be able to filter out the **** and re-use the almost new oil back in???

Anyway I digress the other thing I have stated to them is that I was not told when I spent £9200 that I would have to replace the oil so frequently and thus as far as I am concerned it will be a matter for trading standards and the financial ombudsmen to investigate the false advertising and hidden issues I was not made aware of prior to purchasing the bike.

I do not want a new bike I want the issue with mine rectified and if that means a new engine or components then so be it, but it will be at their cost not mine.

Russ
post #11 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 5:23 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathace View Post
Hiya chaps,

The Dilemma I have is one of a peculiar nature and one that until I can contact the dealer tomorrow is a bit scary.

I went out on the bike yesterday and had a good few hours of fast riding (will not disclose speeds or places) and when I got home I decided to clean the bike and check a few things out just as a matter of course but this time I decided to check the oil (have not previously because it had not long had its service (600 mile) but having put a good few miles on it yesterday (about 400) and the fact that it has not been hammered before this has spurned me into starting the regular checks.

Now I am used to bikes with either sight glasses or dip sticks and never had a problem checking oil levels before, but yesterday I kind of came a cropper.

After trying my way, which is not much different to the book, I resorted to checking the manual and doing it exactly as it says in there and each time I pull the dipstick out its bone dry, I dont mean a little oil on it I mean BONE dry. What am I doing wrong or could it be that 700 miles after a service I have used all my oil????

I get no problems starting it and the oil pressure light goes out right as I start the bike as you would expect and had no adverse noises or problems with the bike so once again what am I doing wrong?

Russ
changed my oil in the beginning after the first 100+ miles and never bothered to check whether I have enough or not. roughly 2000 miles on the bike now.
Does it show on the onboard computer that I run out of oil or not?????
bit concerned now...
post #12 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 6:16 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Russ,i've just checked mine but didnt run it first and oil came halfway up the non screewed in dipstick and i've done 1600 miles.Im starting to think that its the type of oil used ie the sae numbers that might be causing the problem as its very"thin oil".

Stu
post #13 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 8:03 AM Thread Starter

Duke: the only thing you will see on the dash is the oil pressure light and if that lights up you could be too late, get in to a habit of checking it more regularly and see if its using it.

Stu: I will go out and have a look at it now that its been cold and theres plenty of oil dropped down and see where it lies if its on the stick all well and good and I can at least confirm oil is being registered even if incorrectly when it has been warmed up (pushed upwards and hiding).

I have been in contact with dealership with no more info than I already know so trying Honda UK direct after 1pm when they get out of meeting (lunch more likely).

More as I know it.

Russ
post #14 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 8:42 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathace View Post
Duke: the only thing you will see on the dash is the oil pressure light and if that lights up you could be too late, get in to a habit of checking it more regularly and see if its using it.

Stu: I will go out and have a look at it now that its been cold and theres plenty of oil dropped down and see where it lies if its on the stick all well and good and I can at least confirm oil is being registered even if incorrectly when it has been warmed up (pushed upwards and hiding).

I have been in contact with dealership with no more info than I already know so trying Honda UK direct after 1pm when they get out of meeting (lunch more likely).

More as I know it.

Russ
Alrite Guys,
checked my oil and recognized that it really is kinda low.
Drove to the Honda Dealer and they confirmed my assumption. No dash light on yet tho.
I suggested to change the oil once I am already there and we measured that I lost (burnt) around 0.5l of oil for the last 2500km...
Will check it after I have done another 500km again.
Living in Dubai tho and during these summer months (july, august) its really hot outside, maybe one of the reasons...
Riding the European Model, not the US one.
post #15 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeCBR2008 View Post
changed my oil in the beginning after the first 100+ miles and never bothered to check whether I have enough or not. roughly 2000 miles on the bike now.
Does it show on the onboard computer that I run out of oil or not?????
bit concerned now...
Never rely on the oil pressure light to tell you if you have low oil, the damage is already done when the light comes on and you may have scrapped the motor at that point. With all the reports of these engines burning oil, I'd be all over that dipstick. I have decided to hold off on a Blade until '09 to see if Honda fixes this. It seems to be hit or miss, would like to see a poll done of forum members and find out some statistics. If the problem is still there in '09, I'll be looking at the new '09 Gixxr for sure. Honda are you listening??

Kruz

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page