Fairing Heat Protection - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-10-2008, 4:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Fairing Heat Protection

Hey Guys,

I just bought a new set of plastics for my 954 that was a stunter. I read somewhere a while ago about aftermarkets being particularly susceptible to heat. The plastics I got didn't come with the foam matting that the stock fairings have, so I was wondering if there was any solution that someone has come up with other than dropping damn near 90 bucks on foam pads from the oem dealer. I have seen some post about using foil, but I would think foil would just concentrate heat. A buddy Suggested Dynomat, which is mainly used to dampen sound. It might also quiet the bike a bit.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-10-2008, 4:30 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: Fairing Heat Protection

any heat reflective material would work get the foil type should be cheap enough
post #3 of 8 Old 08-10-2008, 5:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

It looks like dynamat makes a sound/heat insulation padding. It's called Dynaliner. I think I'm going to try this stuff : Dynamat 11102 DynaLiner 1/4" Thick 54"x32" Sheet:12s/ft - eBay (item 290247336058 end time Aug-19-08 08:16:11 PDT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-10-2008, 5:49 PM

Reputation Power: 13

I use stuff called Cool Tape. I got it from Demon tweeks in England (Demon Tweeks Motorsport, Motorcycle, Modifying, Parts and Accessories) its really thin like regular tape, but protects to like 1200 degrees. The weird thing is it stays cold, I've got it on the battery box on my '05 blade cos I got an Arrow twin GP pipe that runs right along the plastic... Like 2mm away. The padded stuff wont fit between.
This cool tape is brilliant, the pipe gets very hot, but the tape 2mm away stays stone cold. Don't understand the science behind it but it sure does work!
It's made in the USA so if ya google cool tape, you'll probably be able to order it over there.
Hope that helps.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Northside and JavyDay,

Although the tape would probably provide awesome protection, I don't know if it's cost or time effective for me, since it looks like it comes in relatively small rolls of 2 inches wide. The heat shield seems good too, but I think having a little bit of sound and vibration dampening might be nice too. I'll let you guys know how my results go with the Dynaliner.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-24-2008, 3:56 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I found this thread using Dogpile Web Search Home Page search engine. I decided to go with Dynaliner as well, and thanks for the suggestion, I am very very pleased. I used the 1/2" grade, bought a 12 square foot roll that left me with plenty of leftorvers for 89 dollars US. This was compared to the 116 dollars that the motor cycle dealer was gonna charge me for OEM and as it turns out that was only six pieces, which would not have covered it all. There are 6 pieces just for the side fairings, I would have been missing the front pads thus spending even more money. I am pleased to say that not only did I save money, time, and got extra, the product itself is actually superior to the OEM product, go figure. I would recomend the dynaliner to anyone for the application mentioned here.

The reason I needed it in the first place was because I ordered a full fairing kit off Ebay for under 600 dollars out of Japan. The dealer bashed the fairings said he was famillliar with them and that they were crap and I was getting what I was paying for, yada yada, you get the idea. Well all I can say is I am nothing but pleased. Turns out even the OEM replacement fairings do not come with the padding already in place, and as for quality well, it might be a slight bit different on the installaion, but I feel my new fairings are better quality than the originals. They are more sturdy and they look incredible.

In the end by using ebay and my own time and patience I only paid a little over 620 dollars to accomplish the same thing the bike shop was gonna charge me 2000.00 for.......

Last edited by mdufres1; 09-24-2008 at 4:00 PM. Reason: addon
post #8 of 8 Old 09-24-2008, 5:23 PM Thread Starter

Glad to hear the Dynaliner worked well for you too. I ended up going for the 1/4 inch stuff. I decided 1/4 mainly for the price, being 20-30 bucks cheaper than 1/2 inch. I got more than enough padding with the 12sq feet included. The padding is of very high qaulity and very heat and flame resistant. I held a flame up to it for about 10 seconds and it didnt catch. It also was cool enough on the other side for me to hold while I was holding the Dynaliner, so I think it provides pretty good heat resistance. Put everything on and it worked great. a little bit less noisy and from what I can tell good heat resistance.

Glad this thread helped someone!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page