Modifying my Exhaust - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 08-12-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Modifying my Exhaust

I have a D&D exhaust on my 954 as of now, but people say that it's loud and obnoxious and I believe different, I don't think there that loud. I don't want to change and buy a new exhaust, so if I cut the can down shorter and re-riveted the end back on the can would that make it any louder and would I lose backpressure? I know some about bikes but not too much, if there's any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 08-12-2008, 10:41 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Re: Modifying my Exhaust

Exhaust are design for a reason. you will lose back pressure but how much dont know.... i would just leave it. it is your bike and it never hurts to try
post #3 of 44 Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Well with gas prices the way they are it's my only means for transportation, so I don't want to hurt the bike. I just want it alot louder, I personally don't think D&D exhaust are that loud, any suggestions? Spending the least amout of money possible and keeping the backpressure that is needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Is it a full exhaust or slip on? If slip on get a HTEV eliminator and do flapper mod. Ive heard both increase the deep throatyness (is that a word?) of the exhaust.
post #5 of 44 Old 08-13-2008, 1:08 AM Thread Starter

What exactly is HTEV eliminator and a flapper mod, I don't really know a whole lot about it and yes it is a slip on. Is there anywhere you can direct me to get more info on these mods?
post #6 of 44 Old 08-13-2008, 2:22 AM

Look on the bottom of your bike below the engine. There should be an exhaust valve that is controled by a servo motor HTEV ( Honda Titanium Exhaust Valve) Replacing this with a straight through pipe section (sold on the internet or you could try to fabricate one yourself) does good on the deep throaty notes of the exhaust and also eliminates the HTEV rattle that can sometimes be heard. Flapper mod is an airbox mod that allows air to go a more direct path to the engine. I have also heard this increases the desireable notes on the exhaust. If you have a power commander both of these mods work much better as you would be able to retune the bike for them. There are tons of posts on flapper mod throughout the forum, and you can find the HTEV eliminator by typing "HTEV eliminator" in google.
post #7 of 44 Old 08-13-2008, 9:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks....you said something about an HTEV rattle that can be heard sometimes? Is that anytime, because when I crank the bike from cold I can hear a little rattle could this be what your talking about?
post #8 of 44 Old 08-13-2008, 9:42 AM Thread Starter

Also if I do the HTEV Eliminator do you also have to do the flapper mod with it at the same time, due to money I might have to do one at a time. Any good recommendations for purchasing these and from where?
post #9 of 44 Old 08-13-2008, 11:32 AM

Flapper mod is free. If you look in your airbox there is a piece of plastic that opens and closes, you just prop it open somehow (ie tie it down) You also may have to disconnect the servo motor from it, I cant remember, search the forums for "flapper mod"
post #10 of 44 Old 08-13-2008, 2:15 PM

If you want it louder with the d&d just take the can off and cut out the cone baffle. That will make it louder and its pretty impossible to mess up... and cheap.
post #11 of 44 Old 08-14-2008, 7:36 AM

I took the cone baffle off my bike before i put my new can on but its still Quiet as... Might try the HTEV mod or can i just pull the valve out?
post #12 of 44 Old 08-14-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony929 View Post
I took the cone baffle off my bike before i put my new can on but its still Quiet as... Might try the HTEV mod or can i just pull the valve out?
IF you pull the whole apparatus out there will be a gap in the pipes. Search the forums, someone did heavy modification to theirs to make it jsut a straight through pipe. They reversed the mechanicals inside and filled several areas with metal and then ground it down to smooth. Its alot more time and effort than it would take to drop the 100 on the HTEV eliminator. If you got tons of time and no money, go that route, but if you have a job think of how much time you have to work to get 100, this is prolly gonna take you longer than that. The HTEV eliminator is a 15-20 minute install most of the time. If you just pull out the mechanicals from inside it leaves two places open which I think will make alot of turbulence in the exhaust.
post #13 of 44 Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 AM

Slip ons are a piece of cake to modify. Drill out the rivets and pull the whole thing apart, you'll find some glass baffling shaped like a cylinder and an inner tube with ports. Options to make it louder 1) cut down the glass baffling so that only 1/2 or less of the length is there 2) cut the can down, baffling, and inner tube. I did this on my cheapy brand x slip on and it sounds bitchin now! I ended up cutting 8" out of the length and only using a couple of inches of baffle. Loud=safe IMHO. Good luck
post #14 of 44 Old 08-15-2008, 2:36 AM

Reputation Power: 14

ironic this thread is up just when i was thinking about shortening the can. i'm kicking around shortening it almost in half. want a cleaner stealthy look. have an extra can and rivets to play with.
post #15 of 44 Old 08-15-2008, 5:31 AM

Hi Flea954RR!
I have cut mine down by half, as Gear-Head said its very easy and the results in "sound" are great! altered the PC111 to compensate!
Before and after:

Good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page