98 Blade a little lacking in bottom end - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-18-2008, 8:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

98 Blade a little lacking in bottom end

Hi All,

Does anyone else find their older generation 'Blade a little lacking in lower to mid range grunt? I came from a RGV250 (2-stroke gp replica) to the blade and was expecting huge amounts of bottom end from a big bore 4-stroke, but have been a little dissapointed. It's almost 600cc like in it's power deliver as it all comes up top. I find myself having to knock it down 1 or 2 gears to overtake, ect. I'm just wondering if that's normal? As far as I'm aware, all it has it a yoshi slip-on and it appears to run flawlessly. I'm considering adding a few teeth to the rear sproket, as my riding style rarely means I'm doing 200km/h plus, so i won't miss the lack of top end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-18-2008, 8:39 PM

Re: 98 Blade a little lacking in bottom end

I agree with you 100%. When i got the bike i was expecting a bit more grunt bottom end considering that the bore is larger, but it doesn't start making power until about 7k. So after a while i just got use to it, i drop it down alot more, chirp the tires if i have to, whatever, keeping it in that powerband keeps a smile on my face And yes, over the winter I'm with you, I'll get a different sprocket, steering dampner, i believe a jet kit (since my cheap D&D pipe sputters and pops alot on decel) and i believe that's it.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Reputation Power: 13

They don't make alot down low. As mentioned, they don't come alive til after 7K or so...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 PM

Reputation Power: 12

On my 98 I ended up with a 15 tooth on the front and I believe a 46 on rear. Along with doing the 520 conversion it made a world of difference. Front tire would come up easy even at lower rpms.....although it kinda stinks if you do a lot of e'way riding. At 80 the rpms are conciderably higher. Just droping a tooth in the front for weekend play takes a few minutes and would help you, then switching back for longer trips.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-19-2008, 6:53 AM

i have dropped one tooth on the front and gone two up on the back. have also fitted a tail riser which lifted the back 50mm (looks great) hence all the weight is over the front wheel so it stays on the road !!!!
post #6 of 17 Old 08-19-2008, 9:54 AM

Same as all the others, mine is a bit sluggish off the mark (compared to later models) but then it goes nuts around 7,500RPM. I have a full system Two Brothers exhaust, K&N Filters and jet kit fitted to mine, which seems to make a big difference compared to my mates stock one. Dyno shows better power curve with this set-up, but not a great deal more peak power. Chews through tyres though and needs plugs changed more often with bigger jets.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-19-2008, 12:25 PM

Same as well, I just bought a 520 conversion with vortex sprockets which is supposed to make a big difference, also, on the same website they made the point that optimum gearing for this bike is 15 front with a 45 rear, supposed to bring gearing to 3.0 Hope its true, will post results when I get it.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-19-2008, 9:17 PM Thread Starter

Well I just bought a 520 vortex conversion kit which is 15:45 ratio sprockets and gold x-ring chain. Can't wait for it to arrive and get it installed. The old girl should fly after that Will post the results after it's installed.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-19-2008, 9:42 PM

Yes, please post a review after you install it, I would like to know how it works out for you.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Do you need a speedo healer or is this only for digital speedometer bikes? My bikes is a 98 Blade with an analogue speedometer.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-20-2008, 2:17 AM

you will need a speedo healer-have not got one myself,but it does throw your speed and odeometer readings out,dont do what i did,i always used to fill up after i had clocked up 95-100 miles,but ran out of fuel when the speedo read about 87-90..
post #12 of 17 Old 08-22-2008, 8:39 AM

i have a rgv250r and going from that bike to my blade is a big step, way more power and grunt (and stability) so how you can say your disapointed, or that its like a 600?? a cbr 600 of the same era is nowhere near as quick i know as this was the bike i had before i got my blade, now if you had an r1 or ninja from the same era (had these bikes to)i could see where your comming from as these bikes have way more mid range and bottom end grunt, saying that the new gen of 600 bikes are alot faster and my blade has to be riden flat out to beat them on accelleration and only doing so with the last 3000 rpm of 2nd gear( neck and neck upto this point, 3rd says bye bye) and my blade also has 1tooth down on the front with 2 up on the back, the speedo you will have to get sorted as mine now goes of the clock (which isnt right about 190!!!)and she will easy red line in top gear, its also equiped with a dynojet kit, k&n filter, custom sports exhaust and a lightened/balanced crank, it doesnt realy start to pick up the power untill 6000rpm with the power band kicking in at 8000rpm so i too have to drop cogs to overtake unlike the ninja or r1( at legal speeds) i agree that it has to be "wound up" to get it realy moving but thats all part of the fun isnt it!!! i think this bike is alot more enjoyable and rewarding to ride than any of its rivals of the same era, hands down.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-22-2008, 5:00 PM

Hey guys, quick question. You guys are talking about a speedo healer, will I need one also? My blade is 02 with a digi speedo/analog tach.
Thanks!
post #14 of 17 Old 08-23-2008, 6:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblake View Post
i have a rgv250r and going from that bike to my blade is a big step, way more power and grunt (and stability) so how you can say your disapointed, or that its like a 600?? a cbr 600 of the same era is nowhere near as quick i know as this was the bike i had before i got my blade, now if you had an r1 or ninja from the same era (had these bikes to)i could see where your comming from as these bikes have way more mid range and bottom end grunt, saying that the new gen of 600 bikes are alot faster and my blade has to be riden flat out to beat them on accelleration and only doing so with the last 3000 rpm of 2nd gear( neck and neck upto this point, 3rd says bye bye) and my blade also has 1tooth down on the front with 2 up on the back, the speedo you will have to get sorted as mine now goes of the clock (which isnt right about 190!!!)and she will easy red line in top gear, its also equiped with a dynojet kit, k&n filter, custom sports exhaust and a lightened/balanced crank, it doesnt realy start to pick up the power untill 6000rpm with the power band kicking in at 8000rpm so i too have to drop cogs to overtake unlike the ninja or r1( at legal speeds) i agree that it has to be "wound up" to get it realy moving but thats all part of the fun isnt it!!! i think this bike is alot more enjoyable and rewarding to ride than any of its rivals of the same era, hands down.
RGV's are no slouches. Mine had high compression heads, race pipes, modded airbox and was geared for more acceleration. It was suprisingly quick up to 100km/h and not slow after that. The point of getting a big capacity 4-stroke was that I got a bit tired of the lack of low end around town and wanted something easier to live with. Don't get me wrong I love the Fireblade, but just wished for a little more down low. It is a rewarding ride, but I think a change in gearing could make it better. I guess I'll find out shortly...
post #15 of 17 Old 08-24-2008, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezza26 View Post
RGV's are no slouches. Mine had high compression heads, race pipes, modded airbox and was geared for more acceleration. It was suprisingly quick up to 100km/h and not slow after that. The point of getting a big capacity 4-stroke was that I got a bit tired of the lack of low end around town and wanted something easier to live with. Don't get me wrong I love the Fireblade, but just wished for a little more down low. It is a rewarding ride, but I think a change in gearing could make it better. I guess I'll find out shortly...
If you want more grunt down low, get a twin!
I had a VTR1000F and now have a 98 Blade, miss the twin but have my blade geared at 15-48, its the most aggressive I can get away with for stunt riding while still being able to ride it on the highway.
As stock it was about 3000 at 100km/h now its about 6000.
Even just going 15-42 would make a noticeable difference to take off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page