How much will an out of spec cam chain affect performance? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-10-2008, 4:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

How much will an out of spec cam chain affect performance?

Guys drove the ol 954 again for the 1st time since I got my K6 Gixxer 1k (turncoat I know) & it feels positively lethargic compare to the Suzuki. I know the Zukiís got a better engine but surely not by this much. The bike just feels dead & the more you open the throttle the worse it gets. Initial bottom end & part throttle is ok but wind her on & a 600 would overtake you Iíd say L

Since I gave her a good service last time (plugs, oil & filters, valve clearances & new CCT) I can only surmise that the engine must be slightly out of timing due to the cam chain being knackered. Even with the new CCT its noisy as hell & the new CCT is fully wound out. Bike has about 60k miles & I checked the cylinder compression & all were around 170PSI which seems good.

My question is would a worn out cam chain make the engine feel like this? This bike used to make 142 rwBHP & wheelie off crests in 3rd gear. The front wheel is stuck to the ground in everything but 1st now & the fuel economy has dropped too.

Also can the cam chain be swapped out without removing the cams? Can you just remove rocker & clutch cover & unbolt the crank sprocket to get some slack on the chain??

Is there a possibility it might break??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-10-2008, 5:13 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: How much will an out of spec cam chain affect performance?

What mileage have you got on the Suzuki.
The Suzuki is already more powerful than the 954 and 60,000 miles on the 954 is going to make more difference still.
My 929 is coming up on about 25,000kms I think and some of the new 600's can almost pull a gap on me on the straights. When I dynoed it at 9000kms it had 135hp but it certainly doesn't have that now. I'd be surprised if it's much over 120 now.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 3 Old 09-10-2008, 9:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: How much will an out of spec cam chain affect performance?

Suzuki has 13000km & the 954 has at least 100000km

The big Zuk is almost definitely making 165 rwHP - certainly feels like that! I'd say it goes as hard in 6th gear as the 954 does in 4th.... or even 3rd! Seriously it makes the 954 seem like a toy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page