Can a bad reg/rect damage a stator? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-11-2008, 9:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Can a bad reg/rect damage a stator?

Essentially as title... can a bad/malfunctioning/broken regulator rectifier damage a stator?

The reason I ask is that I replaced the stator and battery a couple of months ago and this morning and a few thousand miles later the damn bike stops charging and dies on me. I have to go through all the diagnosis procedure again to find the cuprit but an initial dig about with a multimeter suggests that the coils in the stator have burned out. I know that the reg/rect can damage the battery but could it damage the stator?

Essentially I'm thinking about getting the stator replaced under the stator warrenty but don't really want to do this if the problem is elsewhere.

Thanks,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Re: Can a bad reg/rect damage a stator?

as far as i know, the stator pumps out the 70-90 volts regardless. The regulator drops it down to the 14v to run the system.

it sounds like the problem i was having. the regulator was overheating, then shutting down which stopped the charging.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2008, 12:02 PM

Reputation Power: 13

What bike have you got? My friend has an 05' 1000rr and he has gone through 2 stators and 2 rectifiers in a little over a year ($1200.00). He finally took it to a Honda dealer that fixed it for FREE because of a recall. So your dealer/stealership may be the avenue to go on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2008, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01'BLADE View Post
What bike have you got? My friend has an 05' 1000rr and he has gone through 2 stators and 2 rectifiers in a little over a year ($1200.00). He finally took it to a Honda dealer that fixed it for FREE because of a recall. So your dealer/stealership may be the avenue to go on this one.
2000 RRY - there's no recall on it.

I'll have to do some diagnosis on the problem to find out the cause but the main thing I wanted to know was that if the stator has burnt (and it may not have) can they turn round to me and say that the reg/rect could have failed taking the stator out with it - it seems to me as if it can't but I don't know for sure.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Reputation Power: 13

To answer your question yes it can, there are three diodes(phases) within the rectifier that allow current to go in one direction through the device (ie. Stator > Rectifier > Battery). But will not allow currrent to flow in the opposite direction.

If one or more of these diodes fail or have failed, then your stator is essential running overtime (burning out) trying to charge your battery on a single phase (one of the diodes). Hope this helps.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01'BLADE View Post
To answer your question yes it can, there are three diodes(phases) within the rectifier that allow current to go in one direction through the device (ie. Stator > Rectifier > Battery). But will not allow currrent to flow in the opposite direction.

If one or more of these diodes fail or have failed, then your stator is essential running overtime (burning out) trying to charge your battery on a single phase (one of the diodes). Hope this helps.
Ah right, that makes sense - thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page