2008 CBR1000 or Ducati 848?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 09-11-2008, 9:56 PM Thread Starter
JTC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

2008 CBR1000 or Ducati 848??

Anybody ridden both of these machines and willing to provide OBJECTIVE feedback?? Let's take cost out of the answer. I know there are Ducati zombies as well as Fireblade blind followers - but looking for some fair feedback on which bike would make a better machine for 100% Street riding. No major city, no major freeway commuting stuff - just nice twisty country roads and the occasional 8 mile commute to work on less busy roads. I know the fireblade compares better with the 1098 - but not interested in that machine. Not much to dislike about the fireblade - but lots of punks on CBR's wearing shorts and sandals that make association with the in-line 4's less interesting.

Last edited by JTC; 09-11-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-12-2008, 2:59 AM

Re: 2008 CBR1000 or Ducati 848??

I have not ridden the Ducat 848, but i have ridden other model Ducati's.
I know from experience that Ducati's are quite focused bikes, that are designed for a narrowly styled form of riding ( Sportsbike, twistys, track days )

( below was a long winded reply about a test ride i did on the 2008 blade ), i decided the next sentence is all you need..........

TEST RIDE BOTH BIKES AND YOU'LL KNOW WHICH ONE YOU WANT.

P.S. i'm picking up my CBR1000RR 08 in the morning and heading to my favorite piece of road to run it in.

Cheers, Paul
post #3 of 30 Old 09-12-2008, 3:35 AM

Reputation Power: 12

I love Ducati's and was thinking of the 1098. But over the years, they have been just too many people telling me "oh sorry can't come for a ride, mines in for repair"

So I've gone Japanese. Plus to be honest the Fireblade (grr when will mine arrive!!) is one hell of a bike and I can't/won't complain!

I see Ducati have increased their service intervals now - perhaps they are better in terms of reliability and quality now?

I tested a 1098, and it was brutal - It was too brutal for me to be honest.the 848 is the same bike but just a smaller engine - correct?

This is my first litre bike, so the duke perhaps is for more seasoned litre riders?

I like the Duke as it felt more of a sports bike - as in it felt like it just been driven off the track into the garage and had lights and plates added.

Build quality I thought was good - better than I'd seen before on a duke, but in the end the delivery of the power from the blade, the quality (much much better in my opinon), and drivebility made it easy for me to choice.

Both will give you a massive smile on your face! :-)

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 09-12-2008, 2:44 PM

I haven't ridden either of them so I can't speak from experience. I've been saving up for a new bike and those two are on the top of my list as well. From the many articles I've read in UK magazines & US magazines it seems like the 1000rr is the way to go.

My personal opinions:
I like the way the Blade looks, but I love the way the Ducati looks.
A Ducati is not as common so you will be unique, but the performance just can't match the Honda. It seems like the 848 should be a little more commuter and traffic friendly, but from what I've read it really isn't. The track reviews general point out flaws in the 848 as well. I don't want this to sound like I'm putting down the 848 because I'm not. I think it would be a good bike to own. I just think the Blade would be a better bike to own.

Like I said I haven't ridden either, but I've read every review of each of them that I can get my hands on and if I had the money (which unforuntately I don't have the cash for either one of them) I'd be going home with the CBR1000RR. I'd love to hear from people that own 848's though, and get their perspective.
post #5 of 30 Old 09-12-2008, 4:37 PM

I dont know anyone that owns a recent ducati that can do work on their own bikes, however i know several people with recent blades that do all of their own work, including myself. A ducati to me is a trophy bike. Something that you keep in the garage until the weekends, never ride it in the rain, etc etc, while my blade is the work horse of the fleet. Take it to class and work every day, she doesnt complain if you get caught in the rain, and isn't as demanding on you, but still puts serious rubber to the road should you liken to take the long way through the twisties home.
post #6 of 30 Old 09-12-2008, 6:01 PM

Reputation Power: 15

As my name might suggests,i might have both marques.You buy a Ducati with your heart but buy a Honda with your head.The RR 08 is just blinding and with some proper attitude,and i know which one is better.
post #7 of 30 Old 09-12-2008, 6:25 PM

see below

Last edited by kef27; 09-12-2008 at 6:31 PM. Reason: dupliate
post #8 of 30 Old 09-12-2008, 6:30 PM

848 owner here. I have to disagree with much of the above, esp Evil R.

I have 3000 miles, mainly track (just about to pick up my third set of tires, if that's any indication). Done all my own service and upgrades - very similar to a Japanese bike (I came from a 600RR)

Differences:
Looks: 848 will get you noticed - by EVERYONE. My friend has had one for 4 months, and says he still goes out to the garage just to look at it.
Performance: Fireblade will stomp all over the 848 - tons more power, more flickable, wheelies, etc. The ducati, however, will feel much more stable. The stock gearing on the Duc is way too tall - city driving is all first and second gear, until you get the compulsory 14 tooth sprocket.
Service: I think they are about the same with the new models. I am planning on doing my own, and I have had no trouble so far.
Goodies: Duc wins, with lighter rims, steel brake lines, single sided swing arm, good gauges, exhaust sound, etc.

Personally, I love my V twin - very linear and stable. Very easy to ride, not like the 1098 which is a beast, with even beast-ier brakes.
post #9 of 30 Old 09-12-2008, 9:37 PM Thread Starter
JTC

Great to hear some objective feedback! I like the 848 for all the reasons you mention... when you say more stable - are you comparing it to the 2008 CBR1000 with its improved dampner? Also, could you expand on quality of street riding with the 848 after the 14 tooth sprocket installed. Thanks!
post #10 of 30 Old 09-13-2008, 2:40 AM

if you really want objective feedback then test ride both bikes. i know which one you'll buy if you do.
post #11 of 30 Old 09-13-2008, 8:34 AM

Reputation Power: 13

After a quick rie on a buddy's 848, my opinion is still skewed toward my Blade, but the 848 is a fun bike. But in your case, if you are looking for a good bike for the street, you will need to see for yourself.

My biggest issue with both bikes is that their riding positions are both really racy, in other words you will feel the effects of riding sooner since your upper body weight is pushing down on your wrists. The CBR wins in this category simply because the riding postion is a little less aggressive than the Duc's. Now before someone flies off the handle, I am 6'4" tall and 230 pounds. So obviously it could be different for someone smaller.

Looks seem to be everyones own perspective. The Ducati in "Pull Me Over" Yellow does draw attention. The bike stands out because of the colors, and in most cases the only people who could tell the difference between a Ducati and a Jap bike are people who lust over the Ducati. Id like to ride a black or white ducati to see if people notice me as much as the yellow, as I think the color was the determining factor. As for the Blade, no matter where I park theres always a few people checking it out and alot hang around to ask me questions about it. I have the maroon and silver Blade. The Blade is also an exercise in form following function as the plastic is minimal and the under slung exhaust takes some getting used to.

The sounds either of these bikes makes, is intoxicating intheir own ways. The Ducati is awesome sounding, then again, v twins in my opinion alawys sound good. The Blade sounds nice too, it doesnt have the typical high pitched whine that most 4 cylinder bikes make, instead its lower and more guttural, mixed with the sound of the intake it sounds like a proper race bike.

Power...well the Blade just romps the Ducati in useable power. It pulls hard in all gears, and does it smoothly. The Duacti is your typical torquey motor, good off the line grunt but loses some of its steam inthe upper RPM's. Dont take this the wrong way, its top end is still nice, its just better to shift before redline.

Both bikes handle exceptionally, then again I am not a pro so I havent seen just how well each can handle at 10 tenths. The blade does turn in alot easier but the suspension is a bit harsher, I could adjust it but I really havent found a need to. The Ducati is a seriously planted bike, once you put it in a lean it feels solid, its just that left to right transitions or vice versa require more rider input.

Quality. I have to admit that I was jealous of my buddies 848 simply because everything felt expensive and well made, while parts of my bike felt like the cheap plastic they are. Of course you pay more for that quality.

Overall I enjoyed riding the 848, its a nice ride, ad if I never rode my CBR I would be able to find many faults with it. But, as some people have already stated, once you ride the Blade its hard to go to a smaller engined bike because the power is ridiculous but you get the power with the handling of a 600. In the end its all about whats important to you.
post #12 of 30 Old 09-13-2008, 11:20 AM

Well JTC, i think the obvious has to be stated, your in a Fireblade forum so the majority of replies will be mostly in favour of the 08 Blade.

You found your Ducati Zombie amongst the fold and he has stated most of his riding in track related.

Me personally, i have always been a Suzuki fan and have ridden many different sportsbikes including Ducati's.

Ducati's have been unreliable up till recently, as mentioned above, but i believe they are much better now and have read articles confirming this.

You say you want a bike for 100% street riding and you don't travel far.
The Ducati would not be a problem for you in that case, so simply go with your heart in that respect.

The Blade "IS" king of the Sportsbikes currently and you will see more and more magazines telling you this.
It has the power/torque/handling/stability to beat the Ducati around a racetrack, but it is also a pussycat around town.

As i said above, test ride both bikes you'll know which one you want.
I'm guessing your heart will say Ducati, simply by looking at it and your head will say 08 Blade if you ride it.

p.s. If you had said 2007 Fireblade vs Ducati 848, i would tell you to buy the Ducati 848 without question. The 08 Blade is nothing like a typical litre bike, the 07 model is.

Cheers, Paul
post #13 of 30 Old 09-13-2008, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gerd View Post
After a quick rie on a buddy's 848, my opinion is still skewed toward my Blade, but the 848 is a fun bike. But in your case, if you are looking for a good bike for the street, you will need to see for yourself.

My biggest issue with both bikes is that their riding positions are both really racy, in other words you will feel the effects of riding sooner since your upper body weight is pushing down on your wrists. The CBR wins in this category simply because the riding postion is a little less aggressive than the Duc's. Now before someone flies off the handle, I am 6'4" tall and 230 pounds. So obviously it could be different for someone smaller.

Looks seem to be everyones own perspective. The Ducati in "Pull Me Over" Yellow does draw attention. The bike stands out because of the colors, and in most cases the only people who could tell the difference between a Ducati and a Jap bike are people who lust over the Ducati. Id like to ride a black or white ducati to see if people notice me as much as the yellow, as I think the color was the determining factor. As for the Blade, no matter where I park theres always a few people checking it out and alot hang around to ask me questions about it. I have the maroon and silver Blade. The Blade is also an exercise in form following function as the plastic is minimal and the under slung exhaust takes some getting used to.

The sounds either of these bikes makes, is intoxicating intheir own ways. The Ducati is awesome sounding, then again, v twins in my opinion alawys sound good. The Blade sounds nice too, it doesnt have the typical high pitched whine that most 4 cylinder bikes make, instead its lower and more guttural, mixed with the sound of the intake it sounds like a proper race bike.

Power...well the Blade just romps the Ducati in useable power. It pulls hard in all gears, and does it smoothly. The Duacti is your typical torquey motor, good off the line grunt but loses some of its steam inthe upper RPM's. Dont take this the wrong way, its top end is still nice, its just better to shift before redline.

Both bikes handle exceptionally, then again I am not a pro so I havent seen just how well each can handle at 10 tenths. The blade does turn in alot easier but the suspension is a bit harsher, I could adjust it but I really havent found a need to. The Ducati is a seriously planted bike, once you put it in a lean it feels solid, its just that left to right transitions or vice versa require more rider input.

Quality. I have to admit that I was jealous of my buddies 848 simply because everything felt expensive and well made, while parts of my bike felt like the cheap plastic they are. Of course you pay more for that quality.

Overall I enjoyed riding the 848, its a nice ride, ad if I never rode my CBR I would be able to find many faults with it. But, as some people have already stated, once you ride the Blade its hard to go to a smaller engined bike because the power is ridiculous but you get the power with the handling of a 600. In the end its all about whats important to you.
just like to say i'm 6'2 and i never get any cramping on the blade very comfortable for me i have sat on an 848 and the riding position reminded me of my old 2001 r6 very wrist heavy blade all the way for me as i like to go out and just see where i end up after an hour on my r6 i was cramping big time.
i rode to germany earlier this year did a 9 hour back road trip witha couple of small cigarette breaks no cramping at all
post #14 of 30 Old 09-13-2008, 7:49 PM

Reputation Power: 17

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/duc...test-ride.html

Here's a link to my full 848 review from my test ride.

I LOVE the looks of the 848 and rather dislike the looks of the blade so I'm a little biased on that one but I think I was VERY honest in my review of the 848. I still plan to get one as soon as I have the money. I suppose if I hadn't just bought a new motard I'd be closer to the 848 but...

Anyway I completely agree with this statement:
Quote:
Those were my thoughts, the metal parts look very nicely machined, the marchesini's are nice, the stainless steel brake lines, the Brembo's are killer. Everything just looks top notch. But I own two Honda's for a reason also so the only way to ever know is to ride each and just see which fits your style.
post #15 of 30 Old 09-13-2008, 8:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

I've only ridden the 1098. It's a pleasure to ride. I'm a bit on the heavy side so I appreciate the torque of the liter bike. I would take the Blade over the 848 and a 1098 over a Blade.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page