2008 Fireblade Recall - Page 5 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 162 Old 03-12-2009, 8:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Re: 2008 Fireblade Recall

Looks like the clutch issue has hit us here in AUS now. Got a letter yesterday, Says they want to "improve the long term durability of the primary drive components".
Do they have to drop the oil out to do this ?. I will book in for a service at the same time, but i am not going to pay for new oil if they have to change it anyway.

So, Just rang the dealer. They only found out about this from honda yesterday themselves. No parts available and the special tool required for the work is also not available.

Last edited by Rhojef; 03-12-2009 at 8:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 162 Old 03-12-2009, 8:58 PM

Reputation Power: 0

dont know if it is different below the equator, but there were no charges at my dealership. they did have to do it twice though. apparently they left an old washer in while installing the new assembly. dont know if it is common for them to test ride after work is finished. they did not this time. i went around the block a few times and straight back to them. felt as though the clutch was reluctant to release. all is well now. it does feel upgraded. i was curious about the oil as well. service manual doesnt state anything about oil in reguard to clutch removal maybe i missed something. hope it works out for you
cheers
post #63 of 162 Old 03-13-2009, 8:30 AM

you shouldn't have to drain the oil to do it, but if they want to, make them cover it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 162 Old 03-14-2009, 8:49 PM

I was told the old washer had to stay in. Dealership's first recall they removed the old washer. Cust left w/bike and the clutch was slipping. They called Honda and the recall didn't really say to leave the washer but they were supposed to reinstall it. I hope this is the correct information becuase my bike has the stock washer, it felt fine. Anyone know if this is correct?
post #65 of 162 Old 03-20-2009, 3:20 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Just had the recall done on my bike.... twice. Had it done the first time and had the same problem with the clutch not feeling like it fully engaged. On the original clutch the bike started pulling from a stop when you got the clutch lever about 1/3 open, on the new clutch it wouldn't start to roll until you let the lever all the way out. I took it back to the dealership and explained that I had seen on the interwebs about the problem with the ring that had to be carried over from the other clutch, they ignored me and did an "adjustment". I took the bike back and the clutch started slipping badly once it warmed up. When I took it back again they finally called the Honda rep and he explained that the instructions for the recall from Honda didn't explain that they needed to carry over the ring from the old clutch pack. They opened up all the other bikes on the showroom they had fixed and found that they were also missing the ring. It looks like this is a very widespread problem as the new clutch pack from Honda doesn't include this ring and the instructions don't say to carry over the old one either, it just says to swap the entire sub-assembly. I know this has happened to a lot of owners out there because you can find the problem on a lot of other boards too. Honda is replacing my entire clutch pack again and not just the ring because of concern that my clutch may be prematurely worn now due to the test ride with all the slipping. I suggest that everyone that has had this update done ask the dealership if they are absolutely certain that they carried over this ring from the old pack. If they haven't, insist that they fix it, and that they also put in all new clutch plates as they may be prematurely worn. Honda also isn't currently issuing a second recall, and I don't know if they have re-worded the installation instructions. It looks like they are only correcting the problem on a case by case basis when the owner repeatedly brings the bike back to the dealership and is able to convince them to contact the Honda rep.

General Motors will be just fine as long as the Japenese don't ever learn how to build trucks.

Last edited by TheEasterBunny; 03-20-2009 at 3:22 PM. Reason: typo
post #66 of 162 Old 03-22-2009, 11:48 PM

Yep, the easterbunny is absolutely right,,my clutch was replaced two weeks ago,,the dealer said it was slipping and "adjusted" the cable, yea, right,,well I rode it a few days later and it felt like crap,,sooo, its now back in the shop again,,if you get this recall done, you better explain to your dealer the bloody instructions from Honda are wrong,,,,other than that, the bike is freaking awesome,
post #67 of 162 Old 03-23-2009, 6:01 PM

It's lovely trying to get a dealership to believe that we aren't all complete retards... I mean the vast majority of us interwebs people are, but every great once in a while it's like COME ON! You wouldn't believe the number of trips and phone calls it took for them to even investigate the problem.

General Motors will be just fine as long as the Japenese don't ever learn how to build trucks.
post #68 of 162 Old 03-24-2009, 1:55 PM

I received a letter from HONDA and said there is a issue with my cluth, 08 firebaled.. I have already booked an appoinment so can fixed by then end of this week.

Vince from TORONTO, CANADA
post #69 of 162 Old 03-24-2009, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince531 View Post
I received a letter from HONDA and said there is a issue with my cluth, 08 firebaled.. I have already booked an appoinment so can fixed by then end of this week.

Vince from TORONTO, CANADA
Make sure you remind them to reinstall the washer (Part #18 on the microfiche -see this link: Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Honda 2008 CBR1000RR CLUTCH_) or your clutch will slip. Quite a few '08 owners have had this problem and had to take the bike back to dealership to fix it.
post #70 of 162 Old 03-26-2009, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red08 View Post
Make sure you remind them to reinstall the washer (Part #18 on the microfiche -see this link: Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Honda 2008 CBR1000RR CLUTCH_) or your clutch will slip. Quite a few '08 owners have had this problem and had to take the bike back to dealership to fix it.
Thank you very much for sharing this news!!!!!

What you mean by "reinstall" that washer (#18), do you mean " let me remind the dealship to put that washer back to the clutch system after the mechanic take the clutch apart" or " remind the mchanic to put a new one in the system"?

Thank you again for your explaination.
post #71 of 162 Old 03-27-2009, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince531 View Post
Thank you very much for sharing this news!!!!!

What you mean by "reinstall" that washer (#18), do you mean " let me remind the dealship to put that washer back to the clutch system after the mechanic take the clutch apart" or " remind the mchanic to put a new one in the system"?

Thank you again for your explaination.
pm replied to.
post #72 of 162 Old 03-28-2009, 1:11 PM

Finally got my bike back from the stealership and it feels stock again! I didn't get a chance to really thrash it around to make sure it wasn't slipping, but the clutch engages at the right point now and it feels like it grabs much harder. I'll get her out next week when the weather lets up and really beat the hell out of it... We go from 75 degrees and sunny to 30 degrees and snowing in 1 day, WTF. Hello tornado season!

post #73 of 162 Old 03-30-2009, 4:04 PM

phone call from honda today 25 bikes [08 blades ] recalled for clutch pud in eire,200 in england so far . my bike is also getting new exhaust under warranty, the muffler section,its listed under a new part number? an admission of a problem maybe

Last edited by rpm2; 03-30-2009 at 4:18 PM.
post #74 of 162 Old 04-17-2009, 2:31 AM

My exhaust has also whitened and I will mention it when I get the clutch update done. Has anyone else noticed the clutch cable rubbing on the lower triple? I have searched with no avail. That section of the triple on my bike is down to bare metal, this canít be normal?
post #75 of 162 Old 05-09-2009, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red08 View Post
I had the same problem, the clutch is badly slipping after the replacement. Especially on 3 and up gears, 5000+ revs. Top speed dramatically dropped - or the road's length to reach that speed is dramatically got longer. I informed my dealer about the above. Thanks for that. Hope I'll have my old bike back.

Has anyone experienced that the missing washer's addition solved the issue?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page