I am a prospective 954'er and have enjoyed reading some very helpful, and at times entertaining threads, on this board. After putting in many hours of research and thought, I am writing to ask for your inputs into the buying decision.
* '02 954, red and black (alas, not the more powerful black and silver model
) with mostly highway 38K miles by first/single owner with a couple days of track time
* reasonably well maintained, clean bike and title; not dropped and no damage
* arata pipes
* steering damper
* after market rear shock, brake pedal, gear shift and brake lights, brake lines, fender eliminator
* Michelin Pilot Sport tires w/ about 40% tread left
* sat with full tank of gas for about 2 years (no Stabil or such)
* starts ok; rides ok (drove very, very conservatively for about 30 minutes at speeds upto 70 mph/4K-5K RPM); somewhat rough/fluctuating idle around 1100 rpm even after engine is warmed up; temps stayed under 200; shifts ok, but a little harder than the NH
* valves not adjusted (to the best of my knowledge)
* new OEM spec sealed battery
* fuel system/injectors probably need some TLC/cleaning
* US $3,700 (exclusive acquaintance price)
I have about about 4,000 miles of riding experience on street bike ('93 Nighthawk 750), did take the MSF beginner/first class about 6 years ago, this would be my first sportbike if I do buy it, and currently don't have plans for track riding.
- Thrill and experience of riding a sportbike before I get too "old" (early 40s at this time) to ride a bike such as this
- Good, no make that great, looking bike; hard not to want it (seriously lust after is closer to the truth)
- Can afford it thankfully; will need/plan to buy good protective gear at ~ $1,200
Why Not Buy:
- Safety/risk associated with riding a bike in this class. Have a loving wife and toddler and would like to stick around for them and the usual other reasons
. I am reasonably level headed and don't intend to, or have in the past, taken risks by riding beyond my abilities, or so I think
- High mileage bike; might be hard to sell in a few years (or may not sell due to liking it as much as I like current bike)
- Like current bike and will likely keep it as a second, or sole, bike
- Lack of time (feels like there is too much stuff to fit in a day already), so not sure how much I'll ride -- probably 1 to 2K miles a year
- Given bike sat with tank full of fuel (yet to be changed!) and rough idling, would getting that taken care of be an expensive or time consuming (if able to DIY) proposition
- Does the price appear reasonable (yes, based on my research including many good posts on here)
- Any concerns with high mileage (no, based on some good posts on here)
- Have any of you found yourself having to make such a decision and what was the outcome (want to make the right choice and a "good" decision)
- Is there anything specific about the bike that I should check into prior to making a decision to purchase (reading Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide now)
I find myself leaning towards the practical side and am thinking that passing on this opportunity, and staying satisfied with existing bike, might be the right thing to do but am having a hard time sticking to that decision (the Mark Twain (?) quote regarding regretting things we did not do keeps coming up). I realize the decision is a personal one that only I can make, and am hoping your inputs might help either in staying with the practical and responsible decision or feeling comfortable with going for it and getting the beauty!
Looking forward to your input and if I decide to buy, the beauty and me could possibly be riding as early as this afternoon or evening after draining the tank and putting in some fresh fuel in first.
Thank you very much for reading and responding. Please let me know if any additional information would help answer these questions.