Help with lowering link??? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-14-2008, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Help with lowering link???

I just lowered my 954 about three inches and now is sits so low that the tire hits the undertail. I already took off the tire hugger of course. Is there an easy way to keep it from bottoming out or am I better off going back to stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-14-2008, 11:57 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE
Re: Help with lowering link???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanbaker68 View Post
I just lowered my 954 about three inches and now is sits so low that the tire hits the undertail. I already took off the tire hugger of course. Is there an easy way to keep it from bottoming out or am I better off going back to stock?
add preload to the rear shock. it'll make it ride a bit rougher but you won't bottom it out. why did you lower it?

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-15-2008, 1:12 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Three inches!
What on earth for?
Can you still see over the dash now ;-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-15-2008, 9:17 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via MSN to shakey1378

3 inches, damn are u under 5feet tall. i would go back to stock or find a different lowering link being that low is going to make your bike handle terrible.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-15-2008, 8:27 PM

Reputation Power: 291

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Im a small guy but have never lowered a bike that much, maybe a smidgen, sometimes havnt bothered, Im not being rude but how tall are you and surely it makes it handle awfully???

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #6 of 23 Old 09-15-2008, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

I am 5'11". The height of the bike was not a problem and I bought a kit that said 2" to 4" drop and it didn't seem like very much but now it seems a little more than that. I just like the lowered look but didn't want to do an extended swingarm so I thought I would try this. I don't know about the handling yet because I have only ridden a very short distance so far to prevent any further damage.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-15-2008, 11:00 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via MSN to shakey1378

lower you go the crappier the steering gets and it throws off the bikes geometry and more important you will drag hard parts like foot pegs and exhaust cans which could cause a crash get a better link. tobefast.com makes one that is adjustable by a threaded rod and set it to a 1 inch drop and raise forks thru the tree about 1/4 to 1/2 inch that may do the trick but if it were my bike id leave it alone stock on the blade its all about handling for me...
post #8 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 12:54 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Lowering the rear slows the steering and unweights the front wheel making front more likely to slide out, especially on corner exits since you;re on the gas and weight is naturally transferred rearward. Lowering rear also decreases swing arm angle, which increases rear squat under acceleration, further taking weight off the front. 929/954 race-bikes usually raise the rear 15 to 20mm over stock. 3" is about 75mm lower, I would not ride any curvey roads fast with a bike set up like that. BTW, i raised the rear of my 929 about 20mm and turn-in is noticeably faster. Ditto with dirtbikes: setting rear sag has a big affect on handling, stability, traction, ... You could cut the foam down on the seat to lower it a bit. Or maybe remove fab a seat pan that sits right on the sub frame plus some thin foam.

...2bits
post #9 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 1:46 AM

Reputation Power: 16

put it back to stock. if you don't have issues reaching the ground there is no reason to lower it unless you're building a drag bike or show bike..
post #10 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bitsamile View Post
Lowering the rear slows the steering and unweights the front wheel making front more likely to slide out, especially on corner exits since you;re on the gas and weight is naturally transferred rearward. Lowering rear also decreases swing arm angle, which increases rear squat under acceleration, further taking weight off the front. 929/954 race-bikes usually raise the rear 15 to 20mm over stock. 3" is about 75mm lower, I would not ride any curvey roads fast with a bike set up like that. BTW, i raised the rear of my 929 about 20mm and turn-in is noticeably faster. Ditto with dirtbikes: setting rear sag has a big affect on handling, stability, traction, ... You could cut the foam down on the seat to lower it a bit. Or maybe remove fab a seat pan that sits right on the sub frame plus some thin foam.
Would lowering it up to about 15mm still have the same effect, the bike does have the facility to do this?

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #11 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 6:15 AM
Global Moderator

While the amount appears quite small in isolation, when you figure it relative to the total region of adjustment 15mm is a lot. The steering head angle is limited to a region of just a few degrees between roughly 22-25 degrees. The extremes handle very noticeably differently which is why just a few mm up or down at either end makes such a difference.
Why do you want to lower it?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #12 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 6:21 AM
Global Moderator

Further to that, your steering is simply a matter of moving the front tyre footprint just a few mm to one side of the centre axis of the bike (or, more specifically, the centre axis of the centre of gravity) which causes the bike to want to fall inwards. The rake and trail magnify the tiny input at the bars. Altering either even slightly can have a big impact.
The entire steering process is on such a small scale as to be almost imperceptible to the rider.

post #13 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 6:24 AM

I have turned it down a little, need to get feet down, Im 5 5 so now I can put one foot down safely not so much tippy toes only. Needs must but it got me wondering if that was the cause of my accident on the last blade or the simple fact I was to hot into the corner, on the other hand Im pretty sure it was after or on the apex (it was all a bit sudden to have a clear memory)

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #14 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 6:28 AM
Global Moderator

If you must lower the bike it is usually better to lower both ends by the same amount to retain the geometry. Lowering also reduces cornering clearance.

post #15 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 7:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanta View Post
...need to get feet down, Im 5 5 so now I can put one foot down safely ...
I am 6'-1" but I definitely don't have long legs, and I cannot remember the last time I had 2 feet down at the same time. I think you're a lot better off with the bike at standard height.

You've got a sport bike and you know how to ride. You don't need the landing gear down for the first 50 feet like a Harley Ferguson rider.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page