3rd set of warped rotors on 900RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-16-2008, 4:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

3rd set of warped rotors on 900RR

For some reason, the rotors on my 98 900RR keep getting warped. Between the 2nd and 3rd set, I replaced nearly everything, from the forks, lower triple, calipers, pads (galfer hh), axle, wheel, and wheel bearing. I've taken the calipers off, one by one. THe wheel spins freely on the axle. However, when I put the calipers on, the wheel gets tight in a certain range and then spins freely, then tightens up again when it gets to teh same spot. WTF is up? Never had a problem with any of my bikes and I don't do stoppies or anything weird.

Cannot figure out this problem! I was thinking about dropping some $ for some ebc or galfer rotors, but it would be a huge waste of money if they got warped as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-16-2008, 6:12 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Re: 3rd set of warped rotors on 900RR

It sounds like you've been really unlucky. The most likely solution to the problem is that one of the disc buttons is clogged up and stopping the disc from doing its floating bit. take them off and give all of them a squirt with brake cleaner and a polish.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-16-2008, 6:26 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Have you checked the wheel and rotors with a dial gauge?
It's possible the wheel hub or the caliper mounts on the forks or calipers may not be true. Having replaced everything though it seems to be something not purely mechanical.
When setting up a race bike it's a good idea to align the caliper and fork mounts (by filing) so the brake pads lie in perfect alignment with the discs.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-16-2008, 5:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex918 View Post
It sounds like you've been really unlucky. The most likely solution to the problem is that one of the disc buttons is clogged up and stopping the disc from doing its floating bit. take them off and give all of them a squirt with brake cleaner and a polish.
hrm, the buttons are on the rotors themselves right? I will try, but now that I believe that the rotors are warped, they aren't going to unwarp yes? I will still give it a try, although I find it highly unlikely that all 3 rotors have had this problem. Also, the issue seems to be with both rotors as I have spun the wheel with one caliper off one caliper on.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-16-2008, 5:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Have you checked the wheel and rotors with a dial gauge?
It's possible the wheel hub or the caliper mounts on the forks or calipers may not be true. Having replaced everything though it seems to be something not purely mechanical.
When setting up a race bike it's a good idea to align the caliper and fork mounts (by filing) so the brake pads lie in perfect alignment with the discs.
I thought about that, perhaps I'll just need to purchase a runout guage. Where exactly would I file? the caliper mounts on the forks or calipers?
post #6 of 10 Old 09-16-2008, 8:03 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Probably both but we're talking fractions of mm's again so you would need precision measuring equipment.
You need to dial-gauge it to determine if the discs are the problem. You may also want to remove the discs, remount the wheel and check the hub faces for run-out as well.
If the discs are bent you can probably straighten them. If they're warped though I doubt there's much you can do as they're generally too thin for machining.
Since you've replaced everything in the front end I doubt it's a problem with any of the components though.
You haven't replaced the master cylinder so it may be a problem there with fluid not returning and causing the brakes to drag until they get hot enough to warp the rotors.
Are you running an OEM brake lever?
Do you ride with you fingers over the lever at all?
How often do you change the front tyre and do you remove the discs to do it?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 10 Old 09-16-2008, 8:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Probably both but we're talking fractions of mm's again so you would need precision measuring equipment.
You need to dial-gauge it to determine if the discs are the problem. You may also want to remove the discs, remount the wheel and check the hub faces for run-out as well.
If the discs are bent you can probably straighten them. If they're warped though I doubt there's much you can do as they're generally too thin for machining.
Since you've replaced everything in the front end I doubt it's a problem with any of the components though.
You haven't replaced the master cylinder so it may be a problem there with fluid not returning and causing the brakes to drag until they get hot enough to warp the rotors.
Are you running an OEM brake lever?
Do you ride with you fingers over the lever at all?
How often do you change the front tyre and do you remove the discs to do it?
I guess I forgot to mention I replaced the MC with one from a 03-04 600RR between the 2nd or 3rd set, so the problem was there with the stock 900RR MC. I do use an oem lever and do not ride with my fingers over lever. I change tires with the rotors still on the wheel, but I my tire has lasted over 2 sets of rotors, so I do not think my mechanic dropped the wheel or anything. This problem happens gradually. When I put them on, they feel fine for a couple of months, then I can feel pulsing through the rotors when I brake and it just gets worse from there...
post #8 of 10 Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Have you replaced the brake hoses? Are they new? Good quality?

If a hose is damaged it can form a blister inside of the hose, as the fluid heats the blister swells and acts as a one way valve. The master can force fluid past blister inside hose, release brakes and fluid slowly returns past blister. You may have the brakes dragging only some of the time.
Get the front wheel up and push the pistons back into the calipers. Use a spring scale to measure haw much pull it takes to start the wheel turning. This is your base measurement.
Now try going out and getting the brakes hot. Come back and Get the front wheel up and see if it drags after applying the brakes hard and holding for 30 seconds or so. Open the bleeders on the calipers and see if the amount of drag has changed. If it did, pump up the brakes again but this time open the bleeder on the master. Same result as first time miss adjusted master, drag didn’t change at all not in hydraulic system, only changed on calipers bleeders, check hoses. Also recheck starting force hot with calipers pushed back to see if slides or caliper pistons are sticking, when calipers are hot.

Remember if a “Vise-Grip” was used on a brake hose it is now junk.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-17-2008, 1:15 AM Thread Starter

yes, I replaced the calipers, used goodridge ss lines, and a 600rr master cylinder between the 2nd and 3rd set. I did flush the system with new brake fluid as well.

that info ^ is good to know, however. The pulsing under braking occurs when I first start (cold) to when I get home. I do not think it gets any worse or less throughout the day.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 PM

Reputation Power: 0

the pulsation is always there once rotors are warped
what we need to find out what is making the rotors warp.
heat , improper torque when installing or cooling unevenly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page