Hey All! Best way to sell a blade in the USA? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Hey All! Best way to sell a blade in the USA?

Hey guys,

I didn't really know where to post this one, but first wanted to say hi...and I love this forum...

Anyhow, I live in Phoenix, AZ and I'm wondering what your opinions are on the best way for selling a blade. I have a Red '06 CBR 1000 RR and it's almost showroom quality, fully stock, and just had a major dealer certify that there were no mechanical issues, what-so-ever. I even had the recall checked. It has 4500 miles on it, and I'm the second owner...always garaged.

Anyhow, for those of you in the US, how have you had success selling your bikes...I'm going to be in the market for a new one, but I'm not going to let the dealer screw me on a trade in...I haven't advertised it anywhere yet, but I'm about to start...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 12:15 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Re: Hey All! Best way to sell a blade in the USA?

Craigslist or Ebay is where I would start.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider67 View Post
Craigslist or Ebay is where I would start.
There is a market place on this site.
On the craigslist. Thats were I looked when I was purchasing my used bike. I would try Craigslist first as it's free and if you don't have any luck there try Cycletrader or E-bay.

BBT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys...I didnt see the "marketplace" portion of the site...my bad. I think Craigslist and Ebay were where I was going to start, but I didnt know if they were the most popular, or if an add agency like Cycletrader would be the easiest...
post #5 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 12:47 PM

Reputation Power: 12

i found mine on craigslist. be sure to be very descriptive, and if you have a friend thats into photography, he can always help take some pictures and make it look more appealing...here are a few shots of mine the day I picked her up...making her look more appealing than she actually is, haha. I have a long list of stuff to do though, so don't worry!

Last edited by btmlinedan; 11-10-2008 at 10:44 AM.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 1:19 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Hey there Dorahood. I'm also in Phoenix and I've sold several bikes in the Cycle Trader magazine. You can pick one up is any Circle K in the state for about $1.50, and they run your add for 6 and 8 weeks for a pretty cheap price. Ebay is good for exposure, but the Ebay staff has warnings on the site not to purchase bikes over the internet. So that kind of deturres most perspective buyers from there. Craigs List is good. And the Cycle Trader is best IMO.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 1:54 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Lets look at it another way.
The absolute worse way to sell a bike is on a website dedicated to that particular bike. Only because it seems everyone on a site is an expert and want to get screeming deals. So bikes that are on the upper end of the price range almost always gets slammed as a "Rip-off". And it's usually unwarrented.

Ride Red
post #8 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 2:07 PM

Sold my old bike 02 1100xx on craigslist. Bought my new bike 03 954 from craigslist.

Rick
post #9 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 2:39 PM

Reputation Power: 16

stay away from ebay.. even if you sell it through there the fees are so outrageous you'll never get what you actually wanted.. craigslist is great as are the cycle traders..
post #10 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 3:16 PM

Reputation Power: 21

+1 for Craigslist. Ebay is full of scam artists. Craigslist is free, I bought my bike and sold my last bike on it. Put in a good ad with lots of information, and for gosh sakes take some good photos! Digital cameras are cheap compared to what you can make off your bike. And don't refer your customers to some flicker site or your facebook page, photos right there in the ad. If you were buying a bike you'd want them there. Good luck.
post #11 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 6:00 PM Thread Starter

Some great info from everyone...I really really appreciate everyone's opinions...its nice to have this kind of feedback.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-16-2008, 6:05 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Try our marketplace, post a good advert and you never know your luck. We get a lot of targeted searches for used Hondas etc ...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLJ&q=honda+fireblades+for+sale& btnG=Search

Did I say post a good ad?
post #13 of 23 Old 09-20-2008, 2:03 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Just out of curiosity, how did you guys who sold your bikes handle your transactions- i.e. did you take cash, check, did you hold the bike and/or title until check cleared, etc.?

I'm thinking of selling my '03 954 to get an '08 or '09 1000 and am wary of the BS that happens with buyers who want to see the bike but don't have the finances straight. I was thinking of starting by advertising on Craigslist.

Thanks,
Franc
post #14 of 23 Old 09-20-2008, 11:04 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Don't forget about Cycle Trader. I bought my first bike there, and sold my second bike there. If you take cash or a certified check, you can let them walk with the bike. If they give you a personal check, you'd be wise to wait for it to clear before releasing the title.

If it seems like too much hassle, you could also trade the bike in for a newer model.
post #15 of 23 Old 09-27-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franc01 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did you guys who sold your bikes handle your transactions- i.e. did you take cash, check, did you hold the bike and/or title until check cleared, etc.?

I'm thinking of selling my '03 954 to get an '08 or '09 1000 and am wary of the BS that happens with buyers who want to see the bike but don't have the finances straight. I was thinking of starting by advertising on Craigslist.

Thanks,
Franc
$100 bills even then your not sure. The only way I would take any kind of check is to go to their bank and cash it. For better or worse when you see your bike going down the road that is most likely the last time you'll see it.

Rick

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page