08 Blade easy to ride for sportbike newbie? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
JTC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

08 Blade easy to ride for sportbike newbie?

Probally will get flammed for this one,,,but curious as to feedback on ease of use of the new 08 blade. Everything I read suggests that it can be anything you want - even a docile sunday morning country roads bike (and quiet with the stock exhaust). Very user friendly for popping into town.
I come from a history of dirt bikes (including a ported/piped Honda CR500 2 stroke) - so I know explosive power. Just curious if the blade can be a decent canyon cruiser if called upon to serve that role. And that my learning curve wont be too much. Why dont I want a cruiser? - too heavy and not responsive enough. I have a couch at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 1:21 PM

Re: 08 Blade easy to ride for sportbike newbie?

Keep it under 6,000 rpm and it feels like a 600 and it is very forgiving. That being said I woul not even recommend a 600 four as a first street bike. One of the 650 twins from Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha would be a wiser choice... As far as cruisers go they are much harder to ride than most spotbikes. They are a piece of sh*t IMO...
post #3 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 3:06 PM

Reputation Power: 12

I went from shadow 750 cruiser to liter bike. As long as your familiar with some kind of street riding, I wouldn't think its a problem, but if your only experience is dirt riding, id suggest something a titch more docile than an 08 blade. As far as roles a blade can do... it will do anything, or mine will at least. Country road cruising, highway riding, twisties, or commuter, mine does it all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 3:20 PM

i'd pick up a 90's carb'd 600. you can buy it, learn on it, drop it, learn your limits on it, and sell it 6 months - a year later down the road for probably the same amount you bought it for. just think a torque monster like this would not be a good choice for a 1st time rider. no flame, just trying to help.
post #5 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 3:52 PM Thread Starter
JTC

All good/practical advice. I was planning on using my maturity (age =43) and my total respect for the machine to allow me to conservatively ramp up my riding - starting with short early am Sunday rides on the quiet rolling country roads around my home. I never have a need to ride on freeways, busy city, etc... Seems I see all the punks on 600's as a starter bike - I would think I could be conservative on a liter bike.
the buying a beater to learn on seems a bit of a buzz kill. But perhaps it would be wise to try a Sport Touring machine first - maybe a Triumph ST or something. Just my passion/ecitement is clearly set on the new Blade.
post #6 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 5:01 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

You could start but be prepared for more than you think. One while the CR500 is while it will not get you to 180MPH. A good running CR500 likely does around 100 while on the track you can slide a RR at that speed. The speed and acceleration is a whole nother league, for one you are pavement vs dirt for traction. You will be experienced but there is some big differences on how you ride also (ie foot and body position). Also it will be a rush so be ready to hold yourself back. Other than that I think you could do fine. For more evil and good I recommend a track riding school. Most of the skills transfer to road use if nothing else in confidence. Of course once you get that beast in its native environment

Must obey the sheep dog
post #7 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 5:11 PM Thread Starter
JTC

I forgot to mention that my plan is to get some time on the bike and then attend a dedicated sport bike riding/skills school - something designed for people like me to get the most our of riding a sport bike.

No question the blade is 3x or more the machine a worked CR500 is, but I just mention that so people understand I know to respect a mid-range hit and balsting through the tight woods at 70mph requires some skill. Just didnt want people to think I was stepping out of a Toyota Camry onto a Blade just cause it looked cool on the showroom. I am a Mcycle enthusiast - just has not been on the street.
post #8 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 5:17 PM

I can resect that. People told me to go to a 600 sportbike too when i decided to go off the cruisers, but i said to hell with em and grabbed a 929. Go test ride one. See what you think. If your lovin it, go for it. If not, hit the 600
post #9 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 5:21 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Not sure what part of the country you are in but I am suggesting taking the class right off. I have a friend of a friend (well I consider him a friend now) that had bikes and crashed being a Beavis. He came to a track day we were at and I could tell he was in But he said he was going to do it right this time. He attended a Ed Bargy class with us right after getting the bike. I will say he learns fast and was 100% paying attention during class. I was lapping him but it was amazing to see his progress just that day. Then I ran a track day with him later and with a tow he was laying down some SMOKING times by day 3. Even without a tow he could easily jump to intermediate group and be 100% safe. Not saying you will do the same but without bad habits to unlearn progress might be faster. Be ready though as the track is worse than crack

Must obey the sheep dog
post #10 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 5:30 PM

Reputation Power: 27

What year CR500 did you own?

Midrange on a liter bike is incredible. Top range is rediculous. No matter what you think, it will be faster. If you can keep it down, being on the pipe in 2nd or 3rd will have your eyeballs bouncing off the back of your head.
Just do me one favor. The first couple of times you hit the throttle and then the brakes, do it on a very long lonely road, not anywhere close to the city.

Ride Red
post #11 of 31 Old 09-19-2008, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC View Post
Probally will get flammed for this one,,,but curious as to feedback on ease of use of the new 08 blade. Everything I read suggests that it can be anything you want - even a docile sunday morning country roads bike (and quiet with the stock exhaust). Very user friendly for popping into town.
I come from a history of dirt bikes (including a ported/piped Honda CR500 2 stroke) - so I know explosive power. Just curious if the blade can be a decent canyon cruiser if called upon to serve that role. And that my learning curve wont be too much. Why dont I want a cruiser? - too heavy and not responsive enough. I have a couch at home.
I come from about the same background (but desert not woods). I still have my CR500 (ported, piped, intake, carb, yada, yada, yada). After ridning a friends tank (ZX11) and anther friends GSXR750 I chose to start on a 2004 CBR1000RR due in part to my size (6'2" and 240 lbs.) and also due to the fact the a liter has much more torque and you don't need to wind it out to get motivated. I now have the 2008 CBR1000RR. It is leaps and bounds ahead of the 2004 RR. If you were in your early twenties, I would have to say start with an old 600 but due to your maturity I say go for it. As long as you can keep your ego in check and not be hamfisted you'll be alright. I would recommend a track school if it is in the budget. The 2008 can do it all from track weapon to canyon carver to sport tourer. Get the Honda e-cushion if you plan longer rides. It is expensive but worth it. You can also look into convertibars/heli bars and tank/tail bags.
post #12 of 31 Old 09-20-2008, 5:10 AM

At the end of the day people will buy what they want and fair play to them its their money/life I would honestly say to anyone that the 08 blade is a bloody good bike to own at any time of life and at any experience, so long as you understand that it is a monster of a bike, handling and performance are great and can be used in a little amount or alot depending on your experience of riding full stop (street is preference but not essential) it is a bike that will get you out of the odd sticky situation and so long as you respect the bike for its abilities and start slow and learn it and yourself then the match could be great.

Having maturity and sense is something that can only be a bonus for the blade, I wouldnt advise someone new to riding to just buy one but I am not their dad and they will do what they want. Most youngsters think that they can ride a 250 and then jump on a blade and ride it the same (you cant) and thats where accidents happen, they should have started from scratch again and take it easy, before you know it you will be picking up the pace and learning more about your skill and the bikes abilities.

so in summary I would say buy it take it slow build up together and enjoy one hell of a bike.

Russ
post #13 of 31 Old 09-20-2008, 5:39 AM

i've been back into biking about 18 months now and to be honest i worked my way up till finances allowed started on an er5 the onto an r6 then the blade yes it is a powerful bike but if you a mature enough you will be fine go buy it!!!!!
post #14 of 31 Old 09-21-2008, 10:52 AM

I'm on an '07 1000rr. My first bike in 15 years. It's about your maturity level and being level headed. The 1000 is a pussy cat if you keep the revs low.
If I would have had this bike or something like it 10 years ago, I'd have been paste in short order. I nearly pasted myself 15 years ago on a 60hp bike.

Only problem with my cautious riding now is that I'm too nervous to push it to a new level of learning - on the street. I KNOW the bike can take the turns faster, lean much further, but I can't get that message from my brain to the rest of me! Need to sign up for a track weekend. I'm all too aware of the possibilities on the street, that slows me down as well (was there gravel on this decreasing radius hairpin last time through? Is that oil in the apex? If I f up this corner I'm going to eat a tree or concrete mailbox. Is this blind corner going to have an idiot crossing the double yellow again? etc...)

The power when you do crank her up is mind numbing and delicious. Takes a 1000+ hp car to get the same thrills, which costs FAR more $$.
post #15 of 31 Old 09-22-2008, 7:58 AM

the Blade is safer than a V-ROD, I can tell you that first hand. The Blade handles, brakes and acclerates predictably. It will get you out of trouble a lot better than 99% of bikes on the road. On the other hand, abuse it and it will get you into trouble too. If you're responsible and mature then I'd say, no problem as a first sports bike.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page