EU (2008) Fireblade Manual - Running In - Sparse - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-30-2008, 7:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

EU (2008) Fireblade Manual - Running In - Sparse

Howdy Guys...

So the big day awaits me on Friday - the day I pick up my white 2008 blade

Popped into the showroom to sort out final payment etc and asked for the owners manual so I can have a quick read up on the run in procedure.

I was expecting a detailed - first 500km, keep below 6k, second 500km keep below 10km - or something along those lines...

Anyway, all the manual states (I quote):

Help assure your motrcycle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 500km (300 miles).
During this period, avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.

Do any of you outside the EU have different wording?

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-30-2008, 8:01 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Re: EU (2008) Fireblade Manual - Running In - Sparse

Better advice would be in the 1st 50 miles let take it up to 12000rpm and let it slow to 3000rpm in 3rd 4th using rapid acceleration/deceleration. This will seal the rings to the bores and it then wont drink oil and will give you a sweet engine
post #3 of 4 Old 09-30-2008, 1:04 PM

Reputation Power: 0

As Rich said but elaborating a bit more - This seems to be especially important with the 2008 Fireblade as Honda have used some fancy new superhard electroplating proces to harden the cylinder bores. The rings dont seem to wear into it as well as before so be warned - babying the engine seems to cause oil burning issues.

The most important part for break in is the sealing of the piston rings. For about 30 mile when the engine is new the cylinder walls have a rough surface this is the most important time for breaking in the engine. You need to load the rings hard during this period by accelerating rapidly up to about redline with throttle through 2nd 4th gear & then let the bike slow down by engine breaking only (this high vacuum helps clear out all the tiny metal particles). Once the 30 miles is done then the break in is complete if you miss it then your ring sealing & therefore power/torque will never be optimal. Luckily the factory already runs the engine hard during quality control so every engine has some hard break in done to it.

Once the 30 miles is gone you change you oil & filter for new (mineral oil) & then drive as you like to 600 miles. Then get your 1st service done & the mechanics change the oil & filter again (semi-synthetic) & all is good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-01-2008, 3:26 PM

Reputation Power: 13

I wouldnt suggest following my example for break in, but it does give you an idea of how resilient the engines are. The day i bought my bike I put 190 miles on it. I rode some fast twisties, some freeway, some stop and go city traffic, and quite a bit of hard acceleration. I took it in for my 600 mile service at about 690 miles and then really got on her, the engine is amazing, I had no issues with oil burning, and after the first 300 miles there wasnt any soot forming in the pipes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page