Headlights will not work and Starter switch sticks - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-08-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Headlights will not work and Starter switch sticks

I just got my 2002 Cbr954 like 2 days ago and when i got it i had the person i bought it from bring it on his trailer. It was raining really bad and i guess the rain caused the starter switch to stick now. I'm having some kind of electrical problem. I try to start the bike and the headlights won't come on and niether does the fuel pump the light on the guages doesn't come on either, BUT if i press the starter switch in a little bit everything turns on. Then i can start the bike also once its started it sounds like the starter never disengages. Also when i turn on my blinkers it acts really strange once the engin is running. If i turn them on either left or right the light on the speedometer flashes as if that was the blinker. My horn also doesn't work for some reason checked the wires and fuses and it wont work. Could it be that the start switch is causing all of this to happen or could it be something else? I know for sure that the blinker wiring was done correctly (flush mount blinkers) because the bike never gave me any problems when i rode before it seems like the rain affected it somehow because i didn't have problems before then and everything worked just fine. Since i'm new to all of this i tried to take the starter switch apart but i don't know how to remove the trottle cables do i have to take the gas tank off in order to get to them? How about the connection how do i get to it? Sorry for all of this but i need HELP!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-08-2008, 7:23 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Re: Headlights will not work and Starter switch sticks

Replace or clean your starter switch, it's definitely bad. If you're having trouble figuring out how to remove the throttle cables, you'd do well to pick up a service manual for the bike. It is worth its weight in gold.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-08-2008, 7:33 PM Thread Starter

I figured it was bad i ordered it today and should be in sometime next week. I hope its just this and not some kind of ground problem messing with the lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-09-2008, 3:22 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

To reduce current draw on the battery when you engage the starter motor the lights should switch off.
So I'd say there is definately something wrong inside the switch.
If the starter motor isn't disengaging I wouldn't run the bike with the starter motor running.
Yes, you need to remove the tank and airbox to remove the throttle cables.
Open the switch up first though and inspect it as it may be something simple.
I've heard of the detent bearing dropping out and fouling things up.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 10 Old 10-09-2008, 8:40 AM Thread Starter

i opened it up but i couldn't see anything wrong with it looks like the cables are still on there i'm just going to go ahead and replace it though because the i have a gut feeling that its messed up
post #6 of 10 Old 10-11-2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

I took the gas tank off and i seen the connection along with how to take off the trottle cable i just recieved the starter switch yesterday and i will install it tomorrow. I also found out that the gas tank was leaking a bit of gas from one of the hoses!!! i was wondering why it always smelt like gas even though i havn't started it in almost a week. I seen that it just needes a new clamp.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-11-2008, 8:02 PM Thread Starter

Ok i'm going to update you guys!! It turns out that my starter switch was fine because when i installed it it did the exact same crap Then i started messing around with the wiring harness because i figured the lights would be my problem i was thinking something with the ground....turns out i was correct i unplugged the lowbeam light and BAM!!! The starter switch started working correctly!!! Then i checked the voltage of the plug in for the low beam connection i was getting the same voltage as my battery on one which was good but then i check the other one and i knew i wasn't suppose to be getting any voltage at all turns out i was getting .45V which wasn't much but was enough to screw things up. I then tried to trace the wire to see what the problem was and got frustrated and just took the front wiring harness off and cut the tape off and checked every wire turns out that the little yellow box of the wiring harness was kinda burnt and one of the cables was touching another i fiddled with it a little connected everything back up and i had lights!!!! High beams as well!!!! I havn't yet connected the gas tank to see if the fuel pump works because of a broken fuel line but i will update tomorrow when i have everything up and running!!!!!!
post #8 of 10 Old 10-12-2008, 1:23 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Excellent :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #9 of 10 Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

ITS ALIVE!!!! I got the dang thing to work!! It runs just fine!!!
post #10 of 10 Old 08-17-2009, 4:45 PM

i have the same exact problem. i ended up just replaceing the entire front harness but i still have the same problem!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page