i think i killed my bike - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 5:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

i think i killed my bike

i posted a while back explaining how my 93 blade simply loses power (to the engine, the lights still work) after a not so prolonged duration of time. i've listened to it with my helmet off and right before it loses power, the exausts tone starts sounding like a crappy harley. then it dies. when i try and start it, the starter goes but the engine doesn't turn. then after about 10-15 mins it does and i can ride for another 2 or 3 miles. Anyway, i had a friend clean the spark plugs, i got a new battery and a new rear sprocket. my blinkers wire got cut, don't ask me how. do any of these things sound like they could be the problem? this certified tech thinks i need a carb rebuild which i probably do. why does my bike die so much??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 5:17 PM

Re: i think i killed my bike

OK. If the bike starts and then runs, then cuts out after a while, then starts again after 10 -15mins I would be looking at fuel starvation. Has the tank been off? When the bike dies open the filler cap, does it make a wooshing noise? If a breather or vacuum pipe is trapped a vacuum can form in the tank and prevent the fuel getting to the carbs; after 10-15 min the vacuum will disappear and the bike will restart. Had this a while ago on a friend's CBR600. He got it really cheap because it kept cutting out after 20 miles. The guy had just serviced it and trapped some pipes when he remounted the tank!
post #3 of 9 Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

that might actually be it. i've taken off the gas tank several times to check the carbs, spark plugs, etc. so i may have messed with something. how would i fix the problem? drain the tank and clean everything out or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-09-2008, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Looking at your previous posts a few things are noticably ok ....

You have fuel and everything is clean
You have electric, power
But, as reeseyboy said you dont have air the last thing you need for combustion.

Sounds like you have trapped a pipe. Have a good look and retrace your steps from when you had the tank off previously.

If you're still stuck take the bike to a dealer to have a look.

Good luck

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #5 of 9 Old 10-09-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
But, as reeseyboy said you dont have air the last thing you need for combustion.
I think that we have air there, the bike wouldn't initially run without it. I think that the tank can't breathe properly which will stop the fuel going to the carbs. There is no pump on this model.
Lift the tank and make sure that there are no kinks in the pipes, and that they are away from any pinch points where they might get trapped when the tank is lowered again.
You can prove this by running the bike until it stops, then open the filler cap and listen for air rushing into the tank. If this is the case there is definately a trapped pipe somewhere.
Good luck!
post #6 of 9 Old 10-09-2008, 5:18 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Any bike that carries its fuel below the level of the carbs needs a pump, including this one.
If there is vacuum in the tank though even the pump is going to struggle at some point I would think.
As has already been said, popping the fuel cap as soon as it dies you should definately hear it suck a lungfull of air into the tank.
If you have a spare key in the tank you might be able to crack the tank open as soon as it starts to stumble and see if it clears it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 9 Old 10-09-2008, 6:27 AM

Reputation Power: 12

I had a similar problem on my CBR250RR, all it was is that a vac line to a small diaphram on the back of the fuel tap. Turns out i didn't put it back on after i put the tank back on.
I think you should find that's all it is...
post #8 of 9 Old 10-09-2008, 6:34 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

The vacuum line of the back of the fuel tap is what opens the tap to let fuel flow to the carbs.
Without it the bike will run only until the float bowls run dry and then it won't start again at all.
Many years ago I had that problem on one of my GSXR's trying to reach in there and connect the vacuum line blind. I inadvertantly plugged the line onto one of the phillips head screws instead of the pipe :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #9 of 9 Old 10-09-2008, 2:40 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Messing with the routing of any kind of lines under the tank can screw you over.... when I took my tank off to check out my air filter once I accidentally moved the fuel supply line, and low and behold, the bike wouldn't start until I took the tank off and saw what happened to the line.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page