dont know when my valves need to be done - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-13-2008, 9:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

dont know when my valves need to be done

How do you tell when your valves need to be adjusted? I took it in when I hit 18,000 miles and they where fine its a 929 01 help a brother out..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: dont know when my valves need to be done

If they're getting loose then you'll get sick of the topend rattle but if they're getting tight the signs are far less obvious. A rise in exhaust gas temperature may indicate tight exhaust valves but really by then the valves are probably already burnt.
By far the simplest way is simply to check them regularly and record the changing clearances so you can extrapolate to when they'll be getting close to the limits.
As a general rule if your cams sit directly over the lifter then the clearances tend to tighten up as the valve stretches faster than the cam lobe wears. With rocker arms it's normal for them to loosen due to the numerous points of wear in the train in addition to lobe wear. There are exceptions though due to various materials and manufacturing techniques.
Checking the clearances is easy. Remove the tank and airbox and then the valve cover. Turn the motor to set the first eight valves away from the cam lobes and poke progressively thicker feeler gauges between the lifter and cam or rocker until you find the thickest that'll fit. Turn the motor forward (never turn a motor backward due to the risk of the camchain tensioner backing off) until the other eight valves are away from the lobes and measure those as well.
Usually you can swap around the sixteen shims you already have to get most of the valves right and then just buy (or swap with your local dealer) the few you need to finish the job.
When you've replaced the shims turn the engine over a few revolutions and check the clearances again.
A good tip is to write the current shim sizes on a surface near each lifter (or inside the valve cover) so that you can calculate the shims you need to buy without having to remove the cams first to pull the shims for measurement.
I always measure shims and feeler gauges with a micrometer for accuracy.
When removing the cams to get to the shims always undo and retighten the cam holders progressively. The camshafts may be cast iron but they will break if you load them unevenly.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 4 Old 10-17-2008, 9:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

I would add... torque the cam caps when checking clearances of shims you just replaced. The bolt holes will strip easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Good point that I should've mentioned. Any bolt that affects oil clearances needs to be correctly torqued.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page