Yoshi Exhausts - Titanium Grade?? (MIG Welding) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 5:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Yoshi Exhausts - Titanium Grade?? (MIG Welding)

Does anyone know what grade of titanium Yoshimura use with their exhaust systems??

Speficially with a Jap made Tri-Oval slip-on for a K6 Gixxer Thou? I need to get a lamba sensor bung welded onto mine.

Also do they have any kind of treatment on the finish that might affect the weld when exposed to the the inert gas. ANy titanium welding hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 7:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Re: Yoshi Exhausts - Titanium Grade?? (MIG Welding)

Have you welded titanium before? Use GTAW (ie TIG)

Basically you just have to keep the inert gas completely covering the surface until it cools below 260 deg C. Depending on the application this is done in a cabinet or with gas dams.

Try going here Welding titanium - a guide to best practice. Section 1. Introduction and contents though you will have to register on the site to see and obtain a pdf copy of their pubication.

Last edited by ghbzorro; 10-14-2008 at 7:54 AM. Reason: added more info
post #3 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 8:33 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

You don't normally put the probe in the muffler. It normally goes into the pipe just after where the headers come together.
I don't know if the GSXR is a full ti system but on the 929/954 the mid pipe is steel.
You could also make up a steel plate with a steel thread in it and clamp or glue that around the ti pipe or even use one of the metal putties to "weld" the bung on.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 8:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

bladeracer's answer is much better than mine! I saw your reference to titanium welding and that's all I was thinking about.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 9:20 AM
Global Moderator

Welding a ti bung onto the ti pipe is the ideal if it's a show bike but it's only one way of addressing the problem.
If you aren't already aware, the bung _must_ go in the upper half of the pipe and preferably no more than 35 degrees from vertical as they're sensitive to moisture.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Yoshi Exhausts - Titanium Grade?? Welding an exhaust bung

Thanks for all the info guys

My K6 Yoshi slip-on has about 250mm of Ti tube between the muffler & the clamp (which also contains the SET valve). I planned to install the O2 sensor about 50mm past the SET valve where thaere is room between the wheel & shock. The K6's downpipes & midpipes are all Ti & there is feck all room between where the pipes converge & where the slip-on clamps on so It might not be possible to mount the sensor there.

Didnt know about the critical angle to angle the sensor at - Cheers Bladeracer! Dont know if its possible to get that angle but I'll do the best thats available.

I plan to also install a bung on my 954 midpipe which should be alot easier seeing as its Stainless Steel. Will try out my new Motty AFR toy on both bikes!

Not so sure about the Epoxy Putty / Chemical Metal avenue. I have often tried this to repair exhaust & it always would give up after a few weeks - I'd prefer a pro job really.

I've never welded Ti before but I have an old set of 954 down pipes I can practice on if I can get a loan of a welding kit. Also getting a hold of a proper Ti lambda sensor bung is neither easy nor cheap

Any more hints appreciated!
post #7 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Global Moderator

I've seen the ti threaded bungs with bolts on Ebay.
My all ti Akrapovic system came with an M12 bung and I've looked for a 12mm probe with zero luck. I can only assume it was only designed for a pyrometer rather than air/fuel measurement so I'll have to put an M12 bung on it as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page