Bazzaz or Power Commander ?? which is better - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 11-16-2008, 9:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Bazzaz or Power Commander ?? which is better

i was looking at this BAZZAZ PERFORMANCE Z-AFM SELF MAPPING KIT

or a PCIII anyone know what would be better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: Bazzaz or Power Commander ?? which is better

Both provide the same core functionality. The Bazzaz you can have traction control though; the PCIII you cannot.

No matter which you go with, you will need a dyno to tune it. If not, they are both a waste of money.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-16-2008, 2:04 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Never heard of the BAZZAZ... IMO I would stick to the PC.

Quote:
If not, they are both a waste of money.
+1

"Second is the first of the losers..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-16-2008, 2:28 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam View Post
Never heard of the BAZZAZ... IMO I would stick to the PC.
The Bazzaz is better if you want the additional options. The founder has been in the ECU side for many years. In the AMA series the factory Suzuki team has used his expertise for years and when they used TC before it was legal; that was Bazzaz as well. They are new to the consumer but their products are tried and true. The PC is nothing special.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-16-2008, 2:41 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames

I'm stickin with the good ole PCIII
post #6 of 19 Old 11-16-2008, 3:22 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmyster00 View Post

Go with the Bazzaz.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-16-2008, 4:02 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoJames View Post
I'm stickin with the good ole PCIII
That's the problem; they're old. Old technology mainly because they didn't have competition and instead of using new electronics they go with the old tech. Imagine if all companies did that. Your mobile phone would have vacum tubes in it.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-16-2008, 5:42 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmyster00 View Post

How about a third option the Motty AFR tuner. Take a look at it here.

I have one in my GSXR-1000 and it works great. Best part is it tunes itself without the need of a dyno. It constantly tunes the bike for any changes in condition like air cleaner getting dirty, new pipe installed, change in weather etc. The Bazzaz is not a true self tuning unit, it builds a log or map of suggested changes and the user must then connect a PC and retrieve the data then change the map.

The Motty does this automatically.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-16-2008, 7:20 PM
Global Moderator

Unless the Motty has changed, it is not plug and play; more like splice and pray. You also need to have a bung put in the exhaust system for the oxygen sensor.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-17-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
Unless the Motty has changed, it is not plug and play; more like splice and pray. You also need to have a bung put in the exhaust system for the oxygen sensor.
Need an O2 bung for the bazzaz also and yes you need someone with skills at splicing wires and soldering or you can make your own plug and play like I did for my GSXR, You can see it here.

If you dont want to mess with that you can always go the splice route the steps for that are here
post #11 of 19 Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Global Moderator

Or got with a plug and play system. Get a map done and you don't have to worry about the O2 sensor.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-17-2008, 1:43 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Nac View Post
Need an O2 bung for the bazzaz also and yes you need someone with skills at splicing wires and soldering or you can make your own plug and play like I did for my GSXR, You can see it here.

If you dont want to mess with that you can always go the splice route the steps for that are here
That was a very clean install. How long did it take you to round up the spare harness parts, and do the actual installation?

IF I knew everyone was as capable as you, I'd feel comfortable making stuff that wasn't plug n play. But most people really suck at wiring. There have been many times I was asked to check out a customers bike to find wire nuts in the ignition wiring. I've seen people cut the battery ground wire off for weight savings. There are a lot of reasons I would never recommend people to do stuff as complicated as the installation you did.

Then there is the satisfaction thing. If I spent $500 on it, I hate having to spend another couple of days trying to round up parts to get everything to install properly. I like to pull the piece out of the box, have all the parts needed in the box, and have it on the bike as quickly as possible. I design my electronics like that , I wish the rest of the aftermarket would do the same.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-17-2008, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brads955 View Post
That was a very clean install. How long did it take you to round up the spare harness parts, and do the actual installation?

IF I knew everyone was as capable as you, I'd feel comfortable making stuff that wasn't plug n play. But most people really suck at wiring. There have been many times I was asked to check out a customers bike to find wire nuts in the ignition wiring. I've seen people cut the battery ground wire off for weight savings. There are a lot of reasons I would never recommend people to do stuff as complicated as the installation you did.

Then there is the satisfaction thing. If I spent $500 on it, I hate having to spend another couple of days trying to round up parts to get everything to install properly. I like to pull the piece out of the box, have all the parts needed in the box, and have it on the bike as quickly as possible. I design my electronics like that , I wish the rest of the aftermarket would do the same.
I purchased an entire wiring harness from ebay prior to buying the Motty unit, the wiring harnesses are available from people that replace the stock harness with a race harness (no lights etc). I got the ECU connector from a company sample ,however I have also obtained them, very cheaply, from smoked ECU units on Ebay. You are right that part is a bit of a pain. The actual install took about 5 hours (and 5 beers) going very slowly and double checking every wire.

I wish the rest of the aftermarket would make everything plug and play too. In fact I almost passed on the Motty because of the non-plug and play issue. I spoke with the owner of the company and asked about the possibility of PNP. The issue is that they are a small company and all the motorcycles that the Motty uint can work with represents a multitude of connectors. Honda uses a different ECU connector than Suzuki and Yamaha uses yet a third. The 600s in some lines have a different connector than the 1000s.

I researched the development of a PNP solution to market for the Mottyand I found it was just too expensive. Because the connector manufacturers require a minimum number of connectors to be purchased at a time and then that is multiplied by the number of bikes to build it for and you can see how expensive it could get very fast.

The reason I ended up purchasing it is becasue it really is the best solution for real time auto tuning of a motorcycle which is the units greatest strength.
However the real time auto tune capability requires mutliple signals from the ECU that the other units do not require thus making it a more involved install.

If you think of a way to make it PNP let me know, I believe there is a huge market potential for these units if PNP beomes a reality.

Last edited by D.Nac; 11-18-2008 at 8:12 AM.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-18-2008, 6:09 PM

Reputation Power: 17

My buddy has had nothing but problems after installing the bazazz on his R1. It even took out his digital gauges somehow. And yes it was professionally installed. I would stick with the PC till they work all the bugs out of the bazazz.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-18-2008, 9:37 PM
Global Moderator

Maybe it is a Yamaflaw issue? I know people who have used the Bazzaz on Honda's and Suzuki's and have had no issues. Then again, peole have gotten a bad PC as well.

Define professional install? You can go and have an alarm installed by a "pro" and I would call the job they do, sh!t. I would never use crimps; but good old solder and heat shrink tubing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page