what are stablizers for? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-20-2008, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

what are stablizers for?

Have seen and heard of alot of you guys talking about stablizers. What do they do exactly? Are they for vibration dampning, or are they for something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-20-2008, 1:53 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: what are stablizers for?

Stabiliser seems to be yet another term for a steering damper.
Probably because so many people can't work out if a damper should be a dampner or dampener :-)
I'm not aware of any manufacturer using the term stabiliser though (or dampener or dampner of course).

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 27 Old 11-20-2008, 3:39 PM Thread Starter

what is its the function? Im a pretty simple person so you have to spell it out for me sorry. lol I was wondering if its good enough to put on the bike for a performance upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-20-2008, 3:51 PM

It's only an upgrade if you find yourself getting "Headshake" where your bars go side to side really fast. I don't have a damper and I don't have a problem most the time, only get it if I've got it wide open and hit a bump without having my weight over the tank
post #5 of 27 Old 11-20-2008, 4:10 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfrisko View Post
what is its the function? Im a pretty simple person so you have to spell it out for me sorry. lol I was wondering if its good enough to put on the bike for a performance upgrade.
depends on how serious of a rider you are .. are you rocking the throttle pretty hard alot of the time.. it's right up there with suspension and power commander.. i think it's a necessaty on the 929/954.. on the 1000rr's they all came with one from the factory.. some people still replace those for an aftermarket one. so yes it's worth it.. if you ever get a tank slapper you'll find out why..
post #6 of 27 Old 11-20-2008, 4:12 PM

and there just happens to be a good one for sale pretty cheap right now in the classifieds..
post #7 of 27 Old 11-20-2008, 9:13 PM Thread Starter

so what is a power commander and what does that do? Also are the dampers hard to install. Im pretty hands on and am working on my bike right now.
post #8 of 27 Old 11-20-2008, 9:24 PM
Global Moderator

The PC is a tuning tool that stays on the bike and allows you to tune the fuel injection mapping (and ignition mapping on some models) to optimise any modifications you have.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #9 of 27 Old 11-21-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I take it to install and use one of those you have to know what your doing pretty damn well?
post #10 of 27 Old 11-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Global Moderator

Not really.
The modern ones are a simple USB connection to a laptop or PC and you upload or modify various maps you want to try.
The maps are downloadable from the website and for general road use you should be able to find something reasonably close.
If you want optimal performance from it then you'd want to custom tune your own map usually on a dyno.

post #11 of 27 Old 11-21-2008, 3:33 PM Thread Starter

how hard is it to do a tune up on a cbr. I have mine appart right now tank off and all the cowels(not sure if thats spelled right). fixing some other stuff. the bike has 16400 on it and not sure if its ever been done. going to change the oil might even the cooling fluid. have you ever done that before?
post #12 of 27 Old 11-21-2008, 4:14 PM

Invest in a factory shop manual. It spells everything out pretty well.
post #13 of 27 Old 11-21-2008, 4:28 PM

the haynes manual is a fantastic one, it shows step by step down to taking out individual bolts. it's a great learning tool, that i've used several times already.. it's also got a recomended service schedule..
post #14 of 27 Old 11-21-2008, 6:21 PM Thread Starter

I have a honda service manual its detailed as hell. If i didnt have that i would be where im at right now. I havnt looked at it for a tune up just the stator and rr right now. have to replace those they bad.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-22-2008, 3:59 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfrisko View Post
going to change the oil might even the cooling fluid. have you ever done that before?
Between all my cars and bikes I do about a dozen oil changes a year and probably half a dozen coolant changes.
I'd recommend changing the oil and filter, coolant, air filter and brake fluid as all of these have a very limited life so need regular replacement anyway.
The fork oil has quite likely never been replaced so I'd recommend doing that at some point as well.
The spark plugs should be done fairly soon and while you are in there I'd recommend pulling the valve cover off to measure the valve clearances and noting them in the back of your manual. That way when you check them next time you can see how much they're tightening up and work out when they'll be near the minimum clearances.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page